News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

when i added a lum map for the armor it simply becomes brighter

non.jpg

is non
on.jpg

is on

(on the chestplate you will notice it) this will probably give a better effect ingame

ZombieAFO said:
How did you get yours to self-illuminate?

Answer-
Somebody else said:
For lum mapping, you just make a new map with black for all the areas you dont want to glow, and the white areas for the areas you want to glow, grays will glow less or more depending on how close to white or black they are. In 3DS Max, just apply the map to the body's self illum in the material editor.

I think dunce also did something called Post Video on his last screenshot so thats why his glows, much like this spinfuser I've been working on.

pyrot3chnic said:
Not sure, you'll have to ask someone who knows their way around max about that. As far as I understand, dunce painted the glow on.

I already tried it, you also have to apply the video post to the object ID, so if you change the Object ID of the head to annother channel, the entire head will glow. If you could edit the mesh a bit and add some poly's directly where you want the VP to show up, like create an outline on your visor and do it that way, it would work...

But an easier way is to draw a spline and add an invisible material that traces the outline you want to glow.

Mimelim said:
when i added a lum map for the armor it simply becomes brighter

http://www.swaylocks.com/images/glossary/uploads/non.jpg[img]
is non
[img]http://www.swaylocks.com/images/glossary/uploads/on.jpg[img]
is on

(on the chestplate you will notice it) this will probably give a better effect ingame[/QUOTE]
Too get a glow would require post effects. In game the glow through the shaders according to lum maps.

Top one is my entry.. Bottom is a clan skin.
I'll see what else i can do in the next few days before the end of the comp. I know my skins arnt up to par with the real compeititors but its been a fun learning experience :)

Prender1.png

Prender2.png

RDSrender1.png

RDSrender2.png

wow, some of these look extremely pro! great job guys!

heh, doubt i'll even come close to winning, but this is just for fun and experience

here are mines:
trender.jpg

gemini_cg said:
wow, some of these look extremely pro! great job guys!

heh, doubt i'll even come close to winning, but this is just for fun and experience

here are mines:
trender.jpg

Holy shit that's an awesome weathering effect. Love the left hand one best. RAWR.

Back