How to BBQ a beef clod and other stuff

i'm sure it will taste fine

but it doesn't look like a very good cut of beef

Well, that's the thing about slow cooking. Take a brisket. That has to be one of the nastiest, toughest parts of a cow. Basically, a big chest muscle. The thing is tough as nails. However, after slow cooking the thing over the course of many hours, a kind of alchemy occurs. When it's complete and done correctly, it's hard to beat. I would take well cooked brisket over filet mignon any day. So, yeah, as far as the cut goes - it's considered pretty shitty by most. It's often made into cheap grocery roasts and also ground up into burger, sausage etc. Wait until it's done and then see what you think.

What kind of cooker did you get?

The local Loblaws store (oversized grocery store chain in Eastern Canada) was having a GREAT sale on BBQs so I picked up this one:

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/Hous.../PC73000BTUDoubleLidGasGrill/Type/3/catid/429

Got it for $299 instead of $599 and I love it. The only thing that sucks is the lack of hooks to hang utensils so I bolted one on I bought for $5.

The best part was hauling it home... it's around the corner from my house but there's no way this box would go in my car, so I brought it home with my daughters Radio Flyer wagon :lol:

Not to be too much of a dick or anything, but it sounds like you bought a grill. Grilling and barbecuing are not the same. Grilling = high heat/short time while barbecuing = low heat/long time.

Anyway, enjoy it. It does open up a whole new facet of cooking. Try some smoking sometime soon. You won't regret it and it will make you a manly food god to your friends.

LOL it's all the same to me? Took hours to cook the turkey I made yesterday using the spit and I used wood boards or whatever they're called inside the grill to give it a smokey taste. Usually I don't have time for long cooks, I just slap a steak on and away you go. But personally I think you're grasping at straws... the grill is the cooking surface of a BBQ. I mean, it's called a BBQ so it's BBQing be it hotdogs or a whole pig. Don't see what the amount of cooking time has to do with it. o_O

Personally when I think BBQ, I'm not thinking of something that takes hours to cook. I dunno, maybe I'm just not part of the elite yet to know the difference hehe ;)

2/3 cup Jack Daniels
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons worcestershire
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

simmer the garlic with the JD for ~5 minutes and then add the rest of the shit and let it bubble for 30 mins at least then bottle that shit up

I approve this post, I'm going to have to try that.

LOL it's all the same to me? Took hours to cook the turkey I made yesterday using the spit and I used wood boards or whatever they're called inside the grill to give it a smokey taste. Usually I don't have time for long cooks, I just slap a steak on and away you go. But personally I think you're grasping at straws... the grill is the cooking surface of a BBQ. I mean, it's called a BBQ so it's BBQing be it hotdogs or a whole pig. Don't see what the amount of cooking time has to do with it. o_O

Personally when I think BBQ, I'm not thinking of something that takes hours to cook. I dunno, maybe I'm just not part of the elite yet to know the difference hehe ;)

I was just explaining the difference in the terms to you, as you admitted that you were new to this whole thing. I am by no means new to this and I know a good bit about it. But hey, whatever you want to think, go right ahead. Happy Fourth!

I was just explaining the difference in the terms to you, as you admitted that you were new to this whole thing. I am by no means new to this and I know a good bit about it. But hey, whatever you want to think, go right ahead. Happy Fourth!

Yeah no question I'm a newb... in fact when I went to buy the BBQ I asked the guy how much charcoal I would need and he started laughing. Apparently I missed the boat on the whole open flame concept now... but I miss that charcoal goodness so I started loading wood pieces inside to give it that smokey taste. A lot less management with these grills, but not quite the same taste (My dad is a BBQ fanatic and stil has his old charcoal BBQ from the 80s when I lived at home) Still, a HELL of a lot better than nothing though.

I also tried my hand at my first home made bloomin onion... it was a bitch because the deep fryer I have isn't deep enough and I had to flip it upside down, but holy shit that was good with an angus steak :drool: Next time I need to use a deep pot to fry it though.

I think my next step is a smoker, but I need to wait until I extend my back balcony so I have room for all this. As it stands I barely have room for the BBQ I bought this year.

Sounds like you've got the bug, bro!

Hmm ... me wonders how Brasstax's clod turned out? Must be good, 'cause he's eating and not posting.

we ended up with pork shoulder, and beef, instead of turkey.

le beouf
meat01.jpg

le porque
meat02.jpg

ready to slice
nomnom.jpg

nectarine, plum, and peach on skewers, coated in white and brown sugar = recommendation
froots.jpg

wipe your chin, you're drooling!

actually i wish i could say it turned out perfect... sliced em a bit quick so they drained out, should've rested them first and they would've retained some juices. "we're hungry, come on!" shut up damn it

Looks great. I can tell it passes the pull test. Anyone trying out a brisket - one of the litmus tests is that a cross grain slice of brisket about the width of a pencil should easly break when pulled from both ends. Maybe just the slightest stretch and then it should split at the grain.

The shoulder and ribs came out great. Almost the whole shoulder got demolished. I had left over baby backs and the ribs were perfect so people were really enjoying the beef.

Here are my goals for ribs - all fat rendered out - almost falling off the bone but still have a good texture and a bit of a snap when biting into it.

I'll post a couple more pics later but I got fucking busy once the food was done. I ended up doing 3 sauces
1) A kind of apple/clove/cinnamon sweet thing for the ribs
2) A sort of KC style a little heavier on the pepper
3) A firework sauce that I designed to heat up in waves

Back