How to BBQ a beef clod and other stuff

almost there

hr7.jpg

You know I consider myself a pretty good cook but I've never ventured into smoking. This is something i've really got to get into this stuff all looks and sounds fantastic.

I finally bought myself my first BBQ this summer and I am LOVING it. I've never BBQ so much as a hotdog until I got this and I have been an idiot for missing out on this for so long. I haven't gone with huge cuts yet, but some thick T-Bones and such have been coming out successful now and awesome tasting. The first couple ended up being hard as rocks and my neighbor who BBQs year round on a daily basis gave me some tips.

Anyhow, BBQing rocks, I don't know how I lived without it all this time. Hail to the BBQ Gods.

Not to be too much of a dick or anything, but it sounds like you bought a grill. Grilling and barbecuing are not the same. Grilling = high heat/short time while barbecuing = low heat/long time.

Anyway, enjoy it. It does open up a whole new facet of cooking. Try some smoking sometime soon. You won't regret it and it will make you a manly food god to your friends.

Here's are some shots of the clod cooking on the Traeger. I started the cut at a low low smoke temp late night at about 10PM. So I ran it for 7 hours pretty low. The clod is a thick cut so I wanted to try and get some good smoke penetration. At 5AM I turned the heat up to about 220. I will run it this way for awhile. I am also going to transfer the clod into foil for a few hours soon.

Foil is one of those things that you want to use sparingly. It has it's uses in getting the meat tender as any competition cooker will tell you. You just don't want to over do it and turn your meat into mush by steaming/braising it rather than BBQing it.

Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. When I have to cook for a lot of people, I use it. Partly because I store/keep it in foil while everything elese is getting ready.

Here are some shots part way through - I keep liquid on the cooker to add some moisture. That's just beer, water and worcester.

clod_cook1.jpg

clod_cook2.jpg

cold_cook3.jpg

Back