were you privileged growing up?

I've never had anything to complain about. When it comes to social security living in the Netherlands is pretty awesome in general. Of course, there are classes as in any society, but lower classes aren't in the same position as they are in the USA. Apart from that:

- Born in a white middle-class family.
- Never endured any alcohol, drug or other abuse.
- My parents loved each other and their children (hardly any fights at all).
- Youngest out of three (so the most spoiled one).
- Grew up in a nice suburb at the edge of a small rural town (nice folk all around, lot's of space to play from skateboarding to building treehouses whatever).

I mean I guess we're all getting of age and looking back at my youth I can't complain at all. The one thing I really realized over the last few years is the importance of having a stable father figure in life. As I said: I've been lucky regarding all of this, but sadly my father passed when I was thirteen. My following teenage years were pretty intense. A lot of drug abuse etc. All that shit would not have gone down that way if my father was still around. Pretty sure of that.

looool wyte trash pussyass effemcuvk faggetz talkn bout sum canada chitplace bein bad n getto lmfa0 dis how ya no dem wyte trash 4sho tyall 4 dis zmple :king:

We weren't really poor, didn't really want for anything. But that wasn't because we were white, it was because we worked our asses off. We didn't have any welfare recipients in my family, had big farms that had been worked for decades, everyone generally had jobs they had been in for decades.

If one were to view my life as a kid next to a homeless kid in America, then one could say I was privileged.

Everything is a relative measurement.

Making $32,000/yr puts you in the top 1% of the world.

It's ironic when someone in the States can buy clothes and electronics manufactured in SEA for pennies and use words like "privileged" to describe others.

my parents were both working full time middle class

first car i remember us having was an old caprice that used to be a cop car with bullet holes

my parents provided a lot for us and we grew up with nice trips and toys

dad paid off our first home under 20yrs

had some really well off rich friends and had some really low income section 8 friends :shrug:

Everything is a relative measurement.

Making $32,000/yr puts you in the top 1% of the world.
This.

Perfect example as to why I shake my head when I hear Marxists talk about privilege. We will always be able to find another person that has it worse off than another and none of us should be made to feel shame because we did not have a life like that person.

I refuse to play along with this crap.

insofar as my parents were highly stable and cared about my wellbeing. never had to deal with divorce or moving or alcoholism or being broke.

looking back at my elementary/middle school friends, some of them had really fucked up situations at home that as a kid you don't think anything of, like john's sister is always trying to stab him and mike never knows where his parents are. occurred to me later in life that it was all highly white trashy, and most of those kids turned out like you'd expect.

Ya this

Both my bro and I could play hockey and we went to Mexico when I was like 9. A lot of ppl I grew up with are a big yikes

It's like they want to replicate their shitty childhood onto their kids 1:1

The youngest tends to get spoilt more than the oldest. The oldest has to pioneer uncharted territory, forging ahead for the rights of the following siblings. The youngest is mommy's baby.
The oldest doesn't have to take shit from conspiring elder siblings tho.

Woe is me.

We all had computers capable of playing online video games in the late 90's so I'd wager that for the most part that answer is yes

I was adopted when I was 3. Lost my parents to a a drunk driver.
My adopted parents thought they could not have kids but fast forward a bit I am now the oldest of 5. Wealthy family, a cardiologist and a psychiatric. I got all the toys, trips a kid could desire. It came at a cost, my adopted dad beat me senseless. Broken limbs, black eyes, missing teeth... I left when I was 15 and never looked back.

No.

I learned later that we lived on the 'other side of the tracks' growing up. We moved to Arizona, and things were better. I still didn't have it easy. My Dad was from the Tennessee hills, and I learned lessons the hard way.

I never had anything given to me. My dad worked his ass off for what we had, and I worked my ass off for what I have. It's the American way.....or used to be.

People who don't think we are all privileged for being born on this amazing little oasis of life in a giant vat of space - are idiots. Ants are fucking privileged. You don't see ants bitching, do you? No? Have you seen a bee bitch lately?

You will see some animals start to bitch - dogs, cows, donkeys, horses, cats - you know - but they get that from hanging out with humans.

I was adopted when I was 3. Lost my parents to a a drunk driver.
My adopted parents thought they could not have kids but fast forward a bit I am now the oldest of 5. Wealthy family, a cardiologist and a psychiatric. I got all the toys, trips a kid could desire. It came at a cost, my adopted dad beat me senseless. Broken limbs, black eyes, missing teeth... I left when I was 15 and never looked back.

good on you for getting out of that situation

Back