The Witcher 2

You get bombs and traps right from the start. The conflagration traps are really nice for groups. Toss a Samum into them and roll away throw down a Conflag trap then start killing. You can't expect to just run in swinging away and win. The combat is quite fun once you get used to it.

Just like that PA comic, the first bunch of fights are very difficult until you get more vigor, learn how to fight. Afterwards its really fun. I don't think its unresponsive at all.

Game can be very frustrating. Some fights have little to no explanations and you're just guaranteed to die a few times. The Kaykan for example. Mainly because damage is pretty high, even on easy.

I still find it unresponsive sometimes. Sometimes I hit block and he doesn't block because he was just finishing up some tail end of an animation. I think the unresponsiveness is mostly due to poor queuing of commands. Lots of animation stop you from doing anything until it's completely finished, leaving lots of openings for enemies to smash your face as you stand up from a roll and such.

Combat could have used a little more polish IMO.

The story however is pretty nice, the side quests and mini games fun and the adult atmosphere is nice. I"m tired of all my RPG's being kiddified.

Also the atmospheres are nice, the forest is actually quite spooky, with nekkers popping up out of the ground and so forth.

I just wish that when i hit block I would block and not stant there like an idiot, or that when I went to throw a grenade it didn't take 3 seconds to finish the animation so I could do something else.

I had a similar experience. I really wanted to like this game, but the combat system is complete garbage. It's slow and unresponsive. In the early game you have absolutely no way to deal with groups of enemies except to spam roll and Quen until you pull one guy far enough from the pack to get in a couple of strikes. Apparently combat goes from hard to stupid easy once you get bombs, but I can't bring myself to even finish the first chapter. Codemaster's Blade of Darkness had a more responsive combat system, and it was released a decade ago. I don't expect an RPG like this to have God of War-esque polish on the combat, but in its current condition I find it simply unplayable.

youre not swinging right. they dont do a tutorial but those early fights, you have to mouse whip with some talent. If you follow-up-click correctly, you can kill most anything with a single combo, if you miss your clicks they block/parry.

in groups, you have to watch for who the next guy to hit you is, if one guy is close and is about to swing, you need to swing at him next. you have some time as his animation is slow and you can see him get close. if two guys are about to swing at you at the same time, you roll. if two are about to swing and they are staggered and not simultaneous you can parry in between giving a blow to each.
again, the trick is to juggle them, hitting them right before they swing at you. and if you swing too early (you want to swing when their swing animation starts), or if you swing at the wrong guy when another is flanking you - youll get ruined.

the combat isnt garbage you just havent gotten used to it. you still need to roll frequently, but no need to spam it, and i dont quen anymore now that i know how to juggle. id rather have vigor regen up and parry the few blows i dont intterupt or roll away from.

A couple of things that have bugged me so far:

Climbing/decending mechanic - sucks ass to be running around, then all of a sudden having to stop and position your mouse just right in order for it to detect the ledge and actually climb... Once I climbed up a long ass ladder (which was on top of a little platform) to appreciate the scenery from the top of a watch tower... after i made my way back down the ladder I click to drop down the ledge to the ground but instead it decided to send me all the way back up the ladder again. :/ Not that hard to include a jump button... or just have the use key toggle holding on to the ladder and you move up and down with W/S. Should be able to drop down valid ledges by just running off of them.

This is made even worse by the fact that LMB is used for pretty much everything... not that hard to make use of some other keys. This is particularly annoying when you are rolling around with your sword out to move faster, and you try to descend a ledge but instead you swing a couple of times first. Another excellent scenario is when you have a door right next to a torch... LMB will put out the torch... send you through the door... or maybe enter conversation with that guy next to the torch. This makes stealth sequences kind of sketchy... at least they didn't make "Knock out" LMB too. I can see it already... approach the guard... click... you re-light a torch.

Final issue is with inaccessible lootable items. I see glowing chests/boxes/bags that I can't reach due to a bed or chair or other box being in the way. Why put loot in there if it cant be reached? Sure, it was probably just cloth or wire anyway.

Also had some bugs with NPCs not entering conversation. But if i leave the area and come back they work fine... only to not work again at a later time.

Otherwise, great game so far. :]

Last edited:
The upgraded Quen spell makes things really easy too

Agreed. I've been playing on hard and there were still some moments late in Chapter 1 that took some figuring out (Letho, first encounter with Wraiths, etc). I leveled up mostly magic tree with a little on dodge, and by the beginning of Chapter 2 it was, while still kind of fun, insanely easy. I can't imagine how easy it's going to be with the adrenaline stuff finished out as well.

you're not blocking because you're out of those grey bars

its not unresponsive, tho it can seem that way

Interesting. I didn't know about that. I didn't play the first Witcher.
Tips may have popped up about it but they tend to pop up at inoppurtune times when I can't read them right then and then they disappear.

That wasn't int he first witcher. In the first one you just timed your clicks to the yellow blinking dagger and chain the crap out of them. And with group style you'd be hitting/knocking down anyone that is near by.

FUCK THE FUCKING FIRST LETHO FIGHT.

holy shit. game was mad fun until this fucking faggot got involved.

Edit:

Just beat him. Spammed throwing knives.

Last edited:
FUCK THE FUCKING FIRST LETHO FIGHT.

holy shit. game was mad fun until this fucking faggot got involved.

Edit:

Just beat him. Spammed throwing knives.

Combo him until he blocks then Aard or parry the next attack, repeat until out of vigor then run around until it recharges and repeat. Having the potion on that increases vigor regen helps a lot.

You can survive even the hardest fights by getting 2 points in the dodge skill and simply rolling around until you have an opportunity to attack safely.

The problem was that the game loading screen wouldn't go away until he was already right on top of me, which was pretty fucking obnoxious. So I would have to hit the roll button in some direction until I could actually see the game. By then he was usually already Quen'd up.

So I would roll around until this shit ran off. When his Quen went away, I would blast him with Aard, then get a few hits on him. Then he would block ONE hit, Aard me across the room, grenade me, then Quen up. So my health is 3/4 of the way gone and he's flying at me with some ridiculous spinning sword move.

I had to be cheap about this one. If I didn't I would have broken my fucking keyboard.

Also, I'm just glad it only took me about 4 tries to beat the Kayran. Because holy shit that could have been an annoying place to get stuck.

Protip: Don't forget to loot the Kayrans body after you kill it. There's a trophy, some skin you can make AWESOME armor out of, and some other shit.

I thought the Kayran was tough, about on the level of the colossus in God of War 2.

In the beginning of the game, you need to dissect groups before attacking. Yrrd helps to control one, and if you lay a trap or throw a samun, you should be able to deal with 3-4 enemy groups much easier. Always kill the weak guys first to avoid being surrounded. Blows to your back hit for 200%. Roll often. Parry sucks until you get riposte, and your vigor is better used on keeping quen up or pushing with aard.

Really? Yes, the icon flashes for a millisecond, but i noticed that I would left click waaaay late sometimes and it would still trigger. And sometimes I would click by accident just as the icon flashed and it would not... The timing for the icon and the trigger obviously must differ. Inconsistency is not so much a result of a small window, just different timings. I think about half a second after the icon flashed worked most of the time.

Last edited:
Back