[Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition

Yeah I noticed the weirdness with the skyline on my new monitor. Thanks Jim B. I'm guessing I could use the dodge tool on it, but there may be an easier way I dunno. Didn't even notice that branch till now either.

It is really one of the more difficult things to learn about photography: the act of seeing the image before you even look into the viewfinder. It does not come easy for a good many people. A good many people, especially when starting out will use the viewfinder to figure out the composition. In my opinion that's completely backwards. Once you do look through the viewfinder you should only be making sure the composition is correct for what you saw in your mind before you even touched the camera and most importantly looking for stray objects, things out of place, etc. When looking through the viewfinder you should really not even be thinking of the scene as a picture anymore. It should just be a group of components: lines, textures, tones, etc and their relationships to one another. The only thing you should be thinking about at that point is to make sure everything in the frame is meant to be there and it's where it should be.

I know rite? The real trick to being an amazing photographer is knowing the symbolism behind your photo before you even turn on the camera. Those aren't just shadows on the stairs, those represent the darkness in our soul, our innermost demons who take every effort to ascend the staircase that is our very lives.

I know rite? The real trick to being an amazing photographer is knowing the symbolism behind your photo before you even turn on the camera. Those aren't just shadows on the stairs, those represent the darkness in our soul, our innermost demons who take every effort to ascend the staircase that is our very lives.

Try harder.

Nothing really special, just a native bird that is never seen in my area so it was a good opportunity to get some shots of them. They are called "Banks Black Cockatoo" Red-tailed Black Cockatoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2h2i6p1.jpg

2reqtmx.jpg

2zy8wp4.jpg

bird photography needs such expensive gear for good photos :(

most other things you can get by with having a good idea of what you're doing...for birds cheap lenses cant compare to something like a 2.8 300mm + lens

Just fucking around with learning weirdass techniques now (screw composition). Unfortunately the IRUV filter in the 7D is quite strong, so my effects aren't as good as unfiltered sensors. Also, it is impossible to find IR film in my town, nobody stocks it at all and as a result the film camera I bought for IR is useless (next time, find IR film before the camer). And lastly, since I am going on holidays in June I don't have the cash to spring for a use 300D or something for me to pull apart and rip the IR filter out of ... yet.

IR photo of my bike, channel flipped.
2qsnzm1.jpg

Same IR photo black and white with a blue filter.
260sojs.jpg

Same IR photo above the other one, with a cyan filter and less intense contrast.
2dwb1q9.jpg

Some weed infested pots in a corner of the garden ... same processing as bike.
1sz5eu.jpg

Same pic with a BW conversion based on a blue filter.
1znpssk.jpg

And finally, the same picture with the cyan filter and less intense contrast.
m7dmad.jpg

Oh, I forgot this one, a "ghosty" effect due to a long exposure on some trees.
2nuulqg.jpg

Same BW processing, blue filter based.
6xu9vt.jpg

And BW processing, cyan filter with less contrast (wtf?)
2s0lixd.jpg

To be honest, I don't know what to make of it all. The IR filter is annoying me because I want to rip the fucker out. Oh well, suck it up I guess. I am going to grab a cheap DSLR when I get back from holiday and begin playing properly.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot this one, a "ghosty" effect due to a long exposure on some trees.
2nuulqg.jpg

This one is great. It almost feels like a macro shot of an aquarium for some reason. love the unusual colors

Not a fan of any of the others though. I realize you said you were messing around with techniques, but the levels need tweaking and the subjects and angles were really boring =\

Yep, I was just playing with the visible light filter, there was no attempt at composition at all.

Would have been perfect if the car didn't have motion blur, but still a damn good shot.
I added a light amount of motion blur to the car.. without the slight motion blur it looked stamped onto the background.. The light sucked so much as it was too late in the day.. took about 4 passes to finally nail the shot.. the focus was really tough because he kept entering the slide at different distances, so panning was difficult because the slide was not always even.

I would like to try it again with better light and a better location and a bit more planning.

Back