Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

They are similar services with slightly different offerings. I don't think it makes sense to have both.

Thanks eggi.

Do I need BOTH SlingTV and Playstation? or one or the other?

I want to K.I.S.S. this shit so I don't get complaints from the Mrs.

one or the other...see which one offers the programming you want to watch. Also, Vue offers some DVR like capabilities, whereas slingtv doesnt...although they just started a DVR beta test in December...

you'll basically be piecing together your streaming packages based on the shows you want to watch...it could be a combination of:
SlingTV or Playstation Vue for major cable channels/live sports
HD antenna for local stations (ABC, NBC, Fox, etc)
Netflix
HBO
Amazon Prime
Hulu
etc

For my TV watching, I basically watch live sports (NBA, NFL, MLS), HBO and Amazon Prime shows...and occasionally movies
So I need Playstation Vue's ultra slim package, Amazon Prime, and Netflix which basically covers almost all of my needs.
My costs are:
100Mbps internet: $75/mo
PS Vue+HBO: $55/mo
Amazon Prime: $8/mo
Netflix: $10/mo? I dont know what this costs, i use my gf's account

Amazon & Netflix we pay for either way, so basically my cable equiv costs are $130/mo + taxes which is ~$20/mo less than my cable bill

I stayed at my parents house last week when I got sick and God damn cable is annoying.

If they figured out how to cut out the commercials I might actually pay for the service. But it's unwatchable. 90min movie is 2+ hours. 4 minutes if commercials every 10 fuckin minutes of movie. Same shit with shows.

Terrible.

Setup and run your own Plex server if your time is worthless and you enjoying spending hours administrating and managing content that could otherwise be had with little hardware and no effort.

Money or time. Which do you choose?

lol what are you talking about?

it took plex 10-15 minutes to process my movies and tv folders

let's say maybe another 5 minutes, combined, of having to enter a user name and mark some basic settings

what in the hell are you doing that takes such a herculean effort?

yeah for reals it took like 5 minutes to get plex running

and thankfully some dude has been building and maintaining an excellent Plex app for the Samsung smart tv environment... it's been a killer combo for me. Old laptop just sits there running plex server and torrents, TV does the rest. Media is added 10 seconds after downloads complete.

So, I ended up mostly cutting the cord...

Comcast had a deal for 200Mbps + HBO + 10 Basic channels for $80/mo (as opposed to $75/mo for 100Mbps internet only)
Coupled with the PS Vue slim sports package ($35/mo), i'll be paying around $115+taxes per month excluding prime & netflix

Comcast Internet: $75
HBO: $5
PS Vue (espn, fox sports, nba tv, nfl network): $35
Prime: $8
Netflix: $10-15
---------
Total: ~$135/mo+taxes

The downside is I'll have to call Comcast again in 12 months to renegotiate or w/e

Can any of y'all recommend a no frills DVR box and antennae for recording OTA TV?

I want to get my mother on an internet only plan, because she only pays $208 a month now with Xfinity so she can DVR her soaps...

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Broadcast-Channels-Recording-Support/dp/B01F3YVBM8/

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF70T4M/

Tivo Roamio OTA back in Nov/Dec. Lifetime sub + refurb unit (500 gb/75, 1 hour shows) for $199.

I've heard Homerun is good...

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CONNECT-broadcast-2-Tuner/dp/B00GY0UB54/

Also I have been reading that some add ons for kodi CAN stream sports. I am going to test it out and post it here.

Tivo Roamio OTA back in Nov/Dec. Lifetime sub + refurb unit (500 gb/75, 1 hour shows) for $199.

I've heard Homerun is good...

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CONNECT-broadcast-2-Tuner/dp/B00GY0UB54/

That Silocon Dust thing is something I'd like actually, but I'm afraid my mom couldn't figure the thing out to do recordings. Her computing these days consists of an iPhone, an iPad, and very rarely her 10 year old laptop.

The TiVo OTA DVR is ideal, just curious if I can find something that does the job for like HALF that. Might be the only decent route though, still just a little more expensive (1TB one) than a DVR and "HD Tech Fee" for a year through Xfinity.

Bump. My Comcast bill went up from $175 to $186. I have internet, HD Preferred package, 1 HD box on the main TV, and 3 regular converter boxes (kitchen, bedroom, computer room). I figured it was the rising fee where they slowly reduce the discount. But NO.

They raised the price of each converter box from $3.99 to $5.99.
Broadcast TV fee from $5 to $7.
Regional sports fee from $3 to $5.
This makes the taxes go up slightly, the increase is $11.

All this information is in the December bill. In my case, I never look at the bill because I'm paperless and it's paid automatically. Everything went up across the board.

So if you call to complain, they're going to say your rate is already at the best discount and nothing changed. Yeah, I'm on the verge of getting an HD antenna.

fuck cable, this shit has gone on long enough. I cancelled everything except internet, and they're still fucking me on that.

fuck cable, this shit has gone on long enough. I cancelled everything except internet, and they're still fucking me on that.
Please explain how they're still fucking you. How much is your internet? Is it the price? Because that's basically what I (and everyone else) wants to do. Turn off TV but still need an internet connection. I know they charge more for an internet connection alone versus bundling.

It seems most people save after they disconnect TV, get a satellite antenna, and a subscription to Netflix and Hulu. But the savings is only about $30. I don't know if it's worth it for what I'm doing to switch to a Satellite antenna/Subscription world verses everything I have now that is working.

Everyone who has Comcast, log in and check your bill. You'll see the rates have gone up.

my internet is 85 bucks which i think is too much. it's their pro performance package which is what you get if you want more than 25Mbps down. Before I cancelled cable, I was paying 40 bucks for it. Once I cancelled cable it went to 85. so that's how they are fucking me.

is it worth it to disconnect? ABSO FUCKING LUTELY. I was paying $10 just to have HD (ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?), plus $10 for every additional outlet I had going past my TV. I was paying almost $200 before, now I'm paying $85 + $39 for playstation vue which has all the TV channels I care about in HD (without paying EXTRA for just having HD WHAT THE FUCK) and ... the BIG PLUS is that I don't have to fucking deal with Comcast nearly as much. Now they are trying to cap my internet because they know I'm free from the cord. I have amazon prime and fire tv and I can watch all my movies from kodi. there is ZERO reason to have cable, but the fact they more than doubled my internet cost when I left cable PISSES ME OFF.

FUCK comcast, and FUCK their monopoly and FUCK this broken system.

I am glad they are going the way of blockbuster. They will go down when everyone starts cutting the cord and moving to ala carte cable channels and moving away from bullshit fees.

Well, good luck with that cable cord cutting now that Trump's FCC chair is in place. Net neutrality will be abolished and the cable company will be charging Netflix, Sling, etc. more to push their services through so unless your going totally OTA...

my internet is 85 bucks which i think is too much. it's their pro performance package which is what you get if you want more than 25Mbps down. Before I cancelled cable, I was paying 40 bucks for it. Once I cancelled cable it went to 85. so that's how they are fucking me.
The $40 for internet was the bundled price. Now you're paying full price for internet alone. That's how they screw people, along with giving people an introductory rate for a year, and then having to call the retention center.

This is so fucked up how everything is going backwards. When I grew up, we had antennas on our homes, then there was an HBO box that had one channel, which soon became 30 with a slider. Back then we had to actually get up to change the channels.

Today, we're basically going back to the same thing, with people putting HD antennas in their attics, having a single internet connection, and buying subscriptions al la carte.

Back