Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

im not sure why you arent blaming the router for taking a shit

i had my last router do that all the time, lan stayed up but wan would dump randomly, no chromecast or other non pcs on the network

bc a cursory google search indicates that this is a chromecast problem
however there are no real solutions other than factory reset which thus far hasnt worked
plus when its unplugged it operates just fine

edit:
holy fuck i think ive figured it out
nevermind guys continue thread about getting raped by your cable provider

Last edited:
Google fiber internet: free
Netflix: $15
Hbo streaming like 15$ now?
HD antenna: one time purchase like $30
Torrent and vpn: $5

'cause Plex rules.

We cut the cable over 6 years ago at least. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and downloads/rips on Plex and we're golden. I'm slowly ripping my huge disc collection. WAF is very high when she doesn't have to go down to the shelves in the man cave to grab a particular movie.

why so much kodi hate and plex love

When we setup our media server we went with Kodi first... it was garbage compared to plex then, and since then Plex has done nothing but update their software... both client side and server side... it's just gotten better really.

I'm not saying Kodi is bad software, but the comparison shouldn't really be made.

I haven't cut the cord yet but I rarely watch live TV other than for sports - but I am a big game/event type sports person so I will watch a lot across many sports. I just like to have the cable provider sports channels at my finger tips along with access to other random channels - Mighty Ships about an aircraft carrier - I can't even think to look for that online to download! Probably leaving money on the table but yolo as the kids used to (or still do?) say.

Some people dogging on Kodi in here but I have never had any issues with it. Works for my needs which albeit are pretty basic and I haven't even leveraged the plugin ecosystem

my setup is:
fire stick with kodi in the bedroom. I don't even have cabling run to my bedroom. I may look at an HDHomeRun for this issue instead of running cable. I think HDHomeRun also has a kodi plugin.
nexus player with kodi in my living room
utorrent 2.2.1 checking some RSS feeds w/ ( UnRAR.exe x -y -inul "%D\*.rar" "%D" ) automatically on completion

On occasion I will purchase a subscription to sportsnationhd Login . The kodi plugin for it works great and I have always been able to stream what I wanted. Used it for the last two UFC fights and it worked great.

off topic but poor waffles and what :( anybody with suggestions on replacement locations? I haven't read through Discussion of public private trackers yet.

I wish I was techy like some of you.

Recently my Rogers bill topped $220 and I said fuck it, its time to cut the cord. When the wife gets back to work from maternity that might just be the time.

Though I have no fucking clue where to start....

All I like to watch are outdoors/live off the grid shows (Alone, Alaskan Bush people, etc - namely Discovery and National Geographic) - would that be do-able sans cord?

ya dont play doom heres the cd tho also stay in school kids and dont play video games till ur older is great advice

Last edited:
I wish I was techy like some of you.

Recently my Rogers bill topped $220 and I said fuck it, its time to cut the cord. When the wife gets back to work from maternity that might just be the time.

Though I have no fucking clue where to start....

All I like to watch are outdoors/live off the grid shows (Alone, Alaskan Bush people, etc - namely Discovery and National Geographic) - would that be do-able sans cord?

look at slingtv & playstation vue offerings, see if their packages include the shows you'd want to watch...you can definitely get discovery & natgeo, other smaller outdoor channels might not be available

the other option would be to dive into the world of newsgroups or torrents to automatically download the shows you watch as they are posted...thats too much work for me, but others on here use that as their primary source for shows

I pay 45$ for uverse internet. Then aproximately 3 to 4 dollars a month for newsgroup access. And plenty of free nzb sites. I manually download shows still. Don't really care. So easy.

Last edited:
Frontier lost ABC/(KOMO locally) recently and is in some sort of stupid contract dispute. It's pretty much the only local channel we actually watch so my wife bugged me to get an HDTV Antenna. Now that we have one in place, I kind of expect whenever my current promotions run out for cable I'm just going to cancel it and switch us to Hulu and Playstation VUE or SlingTV.

look at slingtv & playstation vue offerings, see if their packages include the shows you'd want to watch...you can definitely get discovery & natgeo, other smaller outdoor channels might not be available

the other option would be to dive into the world of newsgroups or torrents to automatically download the shows you watch as they are posted...thats too much work for me, but others on here use that as their primary source for shows

Thanks eggi.

Do I need BOTH SlingTV and Playstation? or one or the other?

I want to K.I.S.S. this shit so I don't get complaints from the Mrs.

Back