No rocket launcher in t3 please

Thrax Panda said:
Just for fun let's examine that comment, shall we?. Yes, lets.

T1. Vehicles. No Rocket launcher. Not once did I hear LoLnOw or Vox bitch about the lack of a rocket launcher. So, you can have vehicles and no rocket launcher.

While this is very true, I think he might be talking from a t2 point a view.

Also vehicles in t1 were absolutely worthless so yes make them like that plz.

Golgac said:
While this is very true, I think he might be talking from a t2 point a view.

Also vehicles in t1 were absolutely worthless so yes make them like that plz.

Have you even played StarSiege: Tribes?

Why would you waste time adding worthless vehicles to a game? That's just fucking stupid. If you're going to put them in they should have a reason and it should be functional.

Sir Lucius said:
Why would you waste time adding worthless vehicles to a game? That's just fucking stupid. If you're going to put them in they should have a reason and it should be functional.

I don't really want vehicles period.

If the T2 cg was replaced with the T1 cg, there would be no need for missile launchers to counter shrikes (in classic) as skilled players could easily chain them up from afar. The T2 cg is horribly ineffective at longer ranges (due to the massive spread), while it is relatively easy to use at shorter ranges (for the same reason). Regardless, from what I've observed, the missile launcher doesn't tend to be an effective counter against skilled shrikers (more of a deterrent than anything else). Instead, it forces players to visit inventory stations (as opposed to playing in spawn) which is a rather unwelcome artificial limitation in the eyes of most veteran T1 players. If you wish to encourage the usage of invs, a far better method (imo) would be to increase the effectiveness of the equipment you can purchase. This way, players could decide (for themselves) whether or not the time and effort required to obtain equipment is worth the potential benefit (which would be map/situation dependant).

Thrax Panda said:

T1. Vehicles. No Rocket launcher. Not once did I hear LoLnOw or Vox bitch about the lack of a rocket launcher. So, you can have vehicles and no rocket launcher.
While it's true that you didn't need a rocket launcher to take out a vehicle in Tribes, it's also true (I'd say) that the vehicles were slow, awkward to use and made obsolete by skiing, so as an example of how having vehicles doesn't mean you need you rocket launchers, it's a bit weak. :)

Thrax Panda said:

Just for fun let's examine that comment, shall we? Yes, lets.

Don't cater to IE because they are IE. Whoever said only have missle launchers lock onto vehicles only, knows what he is talking about, but still allow the missle launcer to fire a dumb missle, so it can still be used against players.

Creole Ned said:

While it's true that you didn't need a rocket launcher to take out a vehicle in Tribes, it's also true (I'd say) that the vehicles were slow, awkward to use and made obsolete by skiing, so as an example of how having vehicles doesn't mean you need you rocket launchers, it's a bit weak. :)

Couldn't you simply implement a weapon which *gasp* counters vehicles AND requires some level of skill/intellect to utilize effectively? :)

XY... said:
Couldn't you simply implement a weapon which *gasp* counters vehicles AND requires some level of skill/intellect to utilize effectively? :)

Yes, something like anti aircraft guns that would take a lot of skill to use. Imagine a gun that had a huge lead in terms of timing shots, but something that could take down a large bomber in 4-5 direct hits.

Special said:
Yes, something like anti aircraft guns that would take a lot of skill to use. Imagine a gun that had a huge lead in terms of timing shots, but something that could take down a large bomber in 4-5 direct hits.

And only let heavy and mediums use them :]

Finnaly make a weapon that starts at med class

Golgac said:
Yes. next question?

OK.
So we've come to the conclusion that you've played the game.

I'm still having difficulty deciding whether you were actually any good at it or not.
Vehicles were useless in the eyes of the beholder, aka they were only useless if you were.

Sir Lucius said:
And only let heavy and mediums use them :]

Finnaly make a weapon that starts at med class

It just occurd to me that the tribes 2 RL was unique to MEd and Heavy -- I guess I forgot seeing as how much it sucked ass as a weapon.

You know what might be cool as far as an AA weapon goes? A RL but laser guided -- like in half life. Maybe not as percise (a losser track, along the lines of mouse lag), but if you're looking for anti god-vehicle wepons I'd rather something like this than a homming weapon.

Also along the same idea but more net code friendly, you know how some game have the double jump? Well I don't think this has really been used much in a weapon before, but first shot you fire your weapon, the projectile lunches and then you have a 1-5 second window to adjust the shot direction(not compleatly change, but you can set it up for an arc). So the steeper your second press of the fire button is from the first (basically you don't fire anything, but guide your shot) the more your projectile will arc in that dirction.

Anyone understand what I'm saying? It might be hard the way I'm describing it. Let's say you fire a shot strait forward. Now during the adjustment phase you aim all the way down at the ground. The projectile will change direction to the reletive reticle arc. It won't factor in how far it's traveled from you, but anything to your left, right, up, and down will effect its direction (so no boomerang effect).

ElectroWaffle said:
Just for fun let's examine that comment, shall we? Yes, lets.

Don't cater to IE because they are IE. Whoever said only have missle launchers lock onto vehicles only, knows what he is talking about, but still allow the missle launcer to fire a dumb missle, so it can still be used against players.

You don't understand what he meant.

If it's harder to kill a vehicle, but some people actually can (with skill and practice).
It gives you something to aspire to, adding more lastability to the game.
If everybody can do it, it's just another useless feature that doesn't require skill.

The same can be said for speed-caps on skiing, what's the point of practicing ski routes if the fastest you will ever move is 180kph (just an example).

Weapons that are easy to use are boring (read: ELF or Missile Launcher), and get old really quickly.
If I watch a match demo, and see VoX snipe a vehicle out of the sky. I think to myself "wow, I didn't know that was possible", giving me a greater amount of respect for this player. After this demo I would go and practice sniping these vehicles out of the sky.
The learning process is much more fun than pressing fire and having a weapon do your work for you.

As another example, have you ever watched a demo of a great player either D'ing or Capping, and gone "wow, I want to be able to do that".
It gives you a certain driving force which is void in weapons that are auto-aiming, or physics that have caps on them.
I'd much rather see somebody mid-air a player out of the sky, instead of watch Joe-Pubber switch to Missile and press his fire button in a demo.

Back