VUG's answer on the patch cancelation

I also read that you can play Swat 4 with a cracked copy online. If that's true, then I'm sure it didn't do well at all. Even if it sold well initially, I can see how people return their copies and get the $50 back after they cracked their game.

AlexMax said:
All this bitching and arguing. If I may, I want to offer some insight and a parallel

I love Tribes. But I also like another game by the name of Doom 2. After Quake 1 + 2 came out, everyone thought that old school Doom deathmatch, the fast and furious type, was going to die forever.

But back a few years ago, id released the source code to the game. Because of the source code release and the source ports released, classic Doom today still has a very thriving community, spread between doomworld, newdoom and zdaemon. Even after the extremely lackbuster Doom 3 was released, the classic Doom community still goes on, and even gets new players.

The point behind this is that YOU HAVE THE BEST PART IN YOUR HANDS The Torque engine! It's there! As long as you have the source code to the origional engine, the Tribes community will NEVER die. I'm really looking forward to the new Starsiege game that seems to be in the works, and you all have the capability to make a souce port of Tribes1/2 that adds features while still keeping that old tribes style, what Tribes Vengance should have been.

Tribes Vengance failed for one reason or another. That's a given. But there seems to be so much doom and gloom. Just recognize what you're holding isn't really broken.

Well said. The only diff is that the Doom, Quake franchises still had their orginal devs (Id, Carmack) backing up the game, franchise and the source.

With Tribes, even though Garage Games is a lot of Dynamix, its kind of a different scenario and they are no longer involved with or own the rights to the franchise. Stiil you are right about Torque.

The only thing I find sad about all this is that VUG blames this on TRIBES itself, and not their own faults. Because of their stupidity we will never see another TRIBES game again? They think that noone wants to play the game simply because of sales, instead of looking at WHY THE GAME DID NOT SELL. The answer is simple, they took an AMAZING GAME SERIES (TRIBES) and created a SUB-PAR release. Did SEGA say "Ok, no more Sonic the Hedgehog" when (Sonic Spinball) flopped horribly? Nope. There are more examples but I will spare you all.
I feel that I could have personally produced this game 100 times more effectively than whomever was in charge over at VUG, but I still have one year left before I have my BA in computer animation. :) They just did so many things wrong... who the heck cares if TRIBES has single player or not?! BOOM, 75% of the game's production time - down the tubes. No complete SDK for the community to expand on the game. Total lack of a compelling soundtrack. Total lack of marketing strategy. TOTAL LACK OF EFFORT ON VUG's PART. Congradulations Vivendi, you have effectively destroyed one of the best series of games of all time.

I seriously hope that at least VUG has the decency to sell the rights (to the TRIBES series) to another company that has the ability to create the amazing game that we all know that TRIBES has the potential to be.

This is not TRIBES fault, its the people who puked in a box and put it on a shelf. F* VUG, sell the license to a company that cares so we can be happy again.

TRIBES WILL NEVER DIE!

You have got a point all they realy carde about was the graphics on the game not game play or any of that shit i meen for god saces if u play single player and in 3erd person mode and shoot a chain gun the bullets are flying out of a charecters ass it was dumb no i meen !@#$ing stupid of thim to turn a mp game into a sp game the !@#$ing ending sucked also and that fat ass who cant post adds or put one, ONE desent comercial on the tube put the twinky down and lose some wait cause u aint helping by stuffing ur face full of face cumquats

silverwolf said:
it aslo didnt help changing starwolf into imperial and taking scout assault and juggernaut and giving thim lame names litte medium and heavy
I believe it's time for you to shut up now.

I'll be honest, I really don't follow Tribes that much anymore, having got sucked into the huge timehole that is mmorpg's. I remember when the first Tribes "Super team" IE all quit tribes (well most all of em) to play Everquest, how stupid I thought that sounded.

I just don't have the time that was required to be competitive at Tribes or Tribes 2 on a ladder. With a mmorpg, I can jump in for 20 minutes, and then walk away for 15, and it's not the end of the world. With that said, outside of LAN games we played at one particularly cool company I worked for, My experience playing T1 & T2 matches, is really the only experience I've ever had that actually approached sport. Some of the matches I played in were nothing short of insanely thrilling. I can tell you from first hand experience that the great majority of people at Vivendi never understood this (I worked for the company when it was sold to the french) and I can tell you that all the French ever were interested in was Blizzard.

Although T2 sold the most copies in the history of the franchise, it was a failure as well. You might find it hard to understand how 400k of sales could be a failure, but the cost of developing the game, marketing, giving the retail channel their cut, supporting the seed servers, and the central server, paying for bandwidth, and QA etc, meant that T2 needed to sell probably another 200k copies to be a success. It didn't.

It is increasingly difficult to make a profit on anything that isn't a huge run away hit, because the economics of selling a game for $50 (and then discounting it) simply can't produce enough revenue to warrant the risk of investing $5+ million in development.

Games which don't have a plan on how they're going to create an ongoing revenue stream simply aren't going to be able to compete for attention with games that do. Unless they could figure out a way to get a monthly fee, or some regularly scheduled expansion pack revenue games like Tribes are simply not viable. It's one thing for a Single player game to provide online play as a benefit, and it's another to have a game that's really online only, but doesn't have a subscription fee.

While Tribes sure influenced a lot of people (even to the degree that Quake3 happened) it has never really been a moneymaker, and that's the bottom line, and why the series was doomed. I personally never really understood why VUG was interested in doing a new Tribes game, and took it as further indication that nobody there really understood what it was about, what was great about T1 & T2, and why if those games were abandoned, there certainly was no reason to go back to that well, or expect that doing so would have any success.

From a buisness standpoint, you are correct about Tribes2.

Up until VUG fucked up the T2 patch servers and blocked most tribes players out of the game (default shortcuts do not work), T2 was doing pretty well with a player base.

It's been said many, *many* times before. But marketing issues aside, the game couldn't have picked a worse release date. It landed in the center of what could be described as a perfect storm for gaming. It simply wasn't going to steal money away from HL2/WoW (and others) when it was released. The shitty marketing (among other things) was the icing on the cake.

SWAT 4 sold well and looks like it isn't getting a patch. reading the offical swat 4 message boards is like dejavu. "WHERES MY PATCH" "WHERE IS THE PATCH WE WERE PROMISED" etc, etc.

silverwolf said:
it aslo didnt help changing starwolf into imperial and taking scout assault and juggernaut and giving thim lame names litte medium and heavy

Don't you mean Kinetic, Natural and Colosus Armor?

I must say, interesting name choice. Along with the Jackal sniper rifle.

no in tribes2 there called scout assault and juggernaut but they could of had deffrent names on starsiege: tribes but i still think the main problem was advertisment and marketing

o ok i didnt know they were going to name thim that and i just ment the names drin not the armors i like the new armors more but u got to admit thought the new skiing abilaty is a good adition to the game but i wish they also lift the abilaty to hold more wepons with heavyer armors

Back