Renegades switching to Torque and Legends!

I find it amazing how people doubt the power of the community. I'm typing this post on a Linux box. Think about how well Linux grew inspite of every hurdle you stated Zio. The majority of work in a game now is content creation, something which does not require a source license for TGE / TSE. Most of the workload in getting Legends / Ren up to speed can be highly distributed, so your reasoning falls very short... Having many hands makes work light (or whatever the saying is). What's really needed is coordination amongst the team. Get that setup correctly and you then have the potential of getting a quality game out the door that rivals the commerical games. I expect the Legends / Ren team to make some waves in the industry of PC gaming, but eh, those are just my thoughts...

destroyer193 said:
And the nail gets driven deeper and deeper. :)

The one and only nail needed to kill Tribes Vengeance was its association with Tribalwar, and the small minded vermin trolling the forums here. The smallness of TV reflects the small minds of TW that helped shape it.

Geiss said:
my question is when do we get the fun mapping things like the auto turrets and the decent looking forcefields?!?

YEAH!

Speaking of TIMEFRAMES...

When can the T:V community expect to see some of the great content the Ren team was working on for T:V?

Also, when can we expect to see a beta build of the new Legends game with the Renegades team at the helm? A month? 6 months? A year? More? Please tell us the truth!!! Nothing has been stated yet, and I want to know their realistic timeframe!

I want to see this project succeed more than anyone on earth because I am probably the biggest Tribes supporter there is. No other game compares. But being a developer myself, I know what it will take to get this off the ground. Just trying to be realistic.

I'm tired of all of the mods that talk a lot of shit yet never seem to actually release in the end.

Prove me wrong! I'm begging you.

eeyore said:
The one and only nail needed to kill Tribes Vengeance was its association with Tribalwar, and the small minded vermin trolling the forums here. The smallness of TV reflects the small minds of TW that helped shape it.

My team isnt involved in T:V - they went to WoW. I have discussed this with them. They dont hate T:V. Basically, to them, T:V isnt enough to keep them out of a WoW server. (Not that T:V is terrible, it isnt - just not enough to prevent them from being involved in WoW). I suspect that is a common circumstance. You may be giving TW too much credit.

Zio said:
YEAH!

Speaking of TIMEFRAMES...

When can the T:V community expect to see some of the great content the Ren team was working on for T:V?

Also, when can we expect to see a beta build of the new Legends game with the Renegades team at the helm? A month? 6 months? A year? More? Please tell us the truth!!! Nothing has been stated yet, and I want to know their realistic timeframe!

I want to see this project succeed more than anyone on earth because I am probably the biggest Tribes supporter there is. No other game compares. But being a developer myself, I know what it will take to get this off the ground. Just trying to be realistic.

I'm tired of all of the mods that talk a lot of shit yet never seem to actually release in the end.

The Ren team isnt at the helm. Loop is at the helm. Ren will be a mod based on the Legends core. (Certain functionality that Ren needs will be added to the core I suspect) And Ren will provide artistic content - models, textures etc.

I dont understand your expectations. You have neither invested a cent or a second. Stop being pissy. I have over the years developed many products. Honestly, I would fire you.

BTW, I would love to see your latest product. :) Would you direct me to a DL link of a demo?

Zio, we are completely aware of whats needed to build this game from the ground up, and we're also asking for help. Unless you are on the dev team working on it and having all of the internal knowhow on what our plans are and how to accomplish them... do not try to tell us what we already know.

I don't care if we leave all of the art assets for the Tribes games behind. I will not miss them. I found the T:V graphics to be cartoony at best, probably a rub off from Freedom Force.

It's not final as of yet, but I might take up a spot as the art coordinator. Everything thats created: models, skins and textures would have to be approved by the art coordinator. So anything that Rooster does, would have to be approved by someone (possibly myself). The rover that Rooster did was designed for his purposes only, he's done plenty of other skins that have a more generic feel.

We are not giving a projected timeframe on when the Alpha of Renegades will be out because that would live VUG announcing a patch at a certain point of time and then delaying it by three months. When we have the executable file for public distribution uploaded, thats when we are going to announce it.

What the dev team has been playing will not be released in the form of an executable because that would give everyone access to our models, and some of our more specialized code both of which are completely transferable to the Legends platform. We do not want anything we created released before we do and have someone nab all the credit for it. Whats included with the link in the newspost are things like our specialized armors and inventories which includes deployables, a working vehicle pad, and probably the bot support code as well. Thats all that will ever come out, if GTW or TAC3 wants to make a mod using that stuff, they're welcome to go right ahead and do that.

Mainly what you don't realise Zio is that while the T:V Engine sports some decent models and map objects, the Engine itself is fundamentally flawed and thats something we cannot remedy due to lack of support from VUG. Legends on the other hand has a great engine, a shitload of code done which will ultimately mean we won't be spending time coding things to restore Tribeslike functionality to T:V, and best of all it's going to keep coming. Art assets are small potatoes and we won't have any problems integrating them into Legends anytime soon.

JimBodkins said:
The Ren team isnt at the helm. Loop is at the helm. Ren will be a mod based on the Legends core. (Certain functionality that Ren needs will be added to the core I suspect) And Ren will provide artistic content - models, textures etc.

I dont understand your expectations. You have neither invested a cent or a second. Stop being pissy. I have over the years developed many products. Honestly, I would fire you.

BTW, I would love to see your latest product. :) Would you direct me to a DL link of a demo?

Shows what you know!

Arc is under the understanding "they" are completly re-doing Legends FROM THE GROUND UP!!!

I wouldn't work for you so STFU.

Arcanox said:
Zio, we are completely aware of whats needed to build this game from the ground up, and we're also asking for help. Unless you are on the dev team working on it and having all of the internal knowhow on what our plans are and how to accomplish them... do not try to tell us what we already know.

I don't care if we leave all of the art assets for the Tribes games behind. I will not miss them. I found the T:V graphics to be cartoony at best, probably a rub off from Freedom Force.

It's not final as of yet, but I might take up a spot as the art coordinator. Everything thats created: models, skins and textures would have to be approved by the art coordinator. So anything that Rooster does, would have to be approved by someone (possibly myself). The rover that Rooster did was designed for his purposes only, he's done plenty of other skins that have a more generic feel.

We are not giving a projected timeframe on when the Alpha of Renegades will be out because that would live VUG announcing a patch at a certain point of time and then delaying it by three months. When we have the executable file for public distribution uploaded, thats when we are going to announce it.

What the dev team has been playing will not be released in the form of an executable because that would give everyone access to our models, and some of our more specialized code both of which are completely transferable to the Legends platform. We do not want anything we created released before we do and have someone nab all the credit for it. Whats included with the link in the newspost are things like our specialized armors and inventories which includes deployables, a working vehicle pad, and probably the bot support code as well. Thats all that will ever come out, if GTW or TAC3 wants to make a mod using that stuff, they're welcome to go right ahead and do that.

Mainly what you don't realise Zio is that while the T:V Engine sports some decent models and map objects, the Engine itself is fundamentally flawed and thats something we cannot remedy due to lack of support from VUG. Legends on the other hand has a great engine, a shitload of code done which will ultimately mean we won't be spending time coding things to restore Tribeslike functionality to T:V, and best of all it's going to keep coming. Art assets are small potatoes and we won't have any problems integrating them into Legends anytime soon.

What you don't understand Arc is that even though you try really hard, you are the proud owner of the worst re-make map in T:V. If you are attempting to become the art-director for this project, with Rooster at your side... :lol:

By they I was referring to Renwerx. The Legends team does not need to redo Legends from the ground up, and you should not be making judgement on that because you are a modeler and not a coder.

You're passing your own judgement off as superior over the people who actually made the code you're critiquing in the first place. You don't know the first thing about how T:V is coded compared to Legends. Because the product they have now does not mean they have to throw everything out! Thats the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard!

For those of you that are tired of listening to Zio's inflated ego rant on about how much better he is and how he knows SOOO much more than the rest of us (including the entire Ren Dev Team). I invite you to power ignore him.
Here is the link on how to do that, and it will certainly shut up his backasswords view on things. Then again, it is kind of funny reading what ignorance (ZIO) himself has to say.

Arcanox said:
Because the product they have now does not mean they have to throw everything out! Thats the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard!

I NEVER was speaking of code. When did I EVER say code Arc? I am speaking complety about art assetts.

You stated the Ren team will be re-doing all of the art from the ground up and that's my concern for failure especially noting who seems to want to be at the helm.

When did I speak of CODE arc?

Calsa said:
For those of you that are tired of listening to Zio's inflated ego rant on about how much better he is and how he knows SOOO much more than the rest of us (including the entire Ren Dev Team). I invite you to power ignore him.
Here is the link on how to do that, and it will certainly shut up his backasswords view on things. Then again, it is kind of funny reading what ignorance (ZIO) himself has to say.

Oh really? Then Arcanox's Rollercoaster re-make was sweet?

When did all the rest of us miss this one?

Please enjoy my ignorance to the hilt.

Zio said:
YEAH!

LOL's. Ren has been released on Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and will be released once again on another platform. So there, you are proven wrong before you even made your statement.

The biggest investment in Ren as has been mentioned is the assets that will be put into the gaming engine. You know, 3d models and such. That is why it was an easy move for the Starsiege crew. Their time was invested in the assets that can be ported to the torque engine easily. You are correct that time has been spent on trying to script in T:V, but the ren crew feels that much time will be gained by working with an engine that gets support from the manufacturer.

You ask alot of questions about Ren, May I turn the tables and ask when T:V will:
1) Have a patch
2) Have a thin client with no lag
3) Have an Admin function for match play
4) Have a voting system that works
5) Have a 25 vs 25 player pub?
6) Have players on the east coast playing on a server in the west coast during a match and not complain about lag.
7) Have MA's/hits that count all the time.
8) Have a Game server that has the word "BETA" in the final production and that doesn't have to be on a T3 connection with 2 Gig of Ram and a 3 Ghz Xenon dual processor.
9) Have a target gaming client that doesn't require a $3000 gaming box to play on with a $400 video card and 1 Gig of RAM.

For me, it's more promising to help a group of developers work on something that has the potential to do the above things than continue trying to support a platform that can't even hold a candle to T2 as far as performance goes. Eye Candy yes, overall gaming platform>>> NO.

The Ren team has legs - T1, T2 and T:V (start at least). Its a credible group. They will have a major impact on the art/models/textures etc in Legends. (And I am certain they will prosper with the Legends engine. I was testing a few things on Legends last night and I kept thinking - smooth and vistas - I'm sure I was smiling.

Back