Renegades switching to Torque and Legends!

Rooster128 said:
Be kinda boring if all the games were the same, eh? ;)

Don't worry, we'll try our best to forge a good, balanced game.

I have no faith in ANY project if Rooster is a part of the development team.

Expect hot pink wheels on your vehicles and purple glowing underbellies with hot 12" woofers in the back pumpin the tunes!

No thanx!

?B-MAN said:
Lets face some reality, Companies like VU, EA, Microsoft etc will always exist. My point is that I would like the game both Starsiege and Tribes to get mass exposure. Since Clancore does have VU behind it, the game will have some marketing behind. If say, a good Tribes mod is made on SS:2845 and the game is boxed and sold (which Im betting VU will do), then more folks will be playing Tribes mod on SS:2845 than Legends. Thats an assumption, but just my fear.

Legends, if I understand it correctly, was originally made by folks who where dissapointed with Tribes 2 out of the box. Do you see massive amounts of folks playing it? Not really, instead you had folks migtate to mods like classic or base++ on Tribes 2 because Tribes 2 is the commercial package.

I still fully back and will support legends, Im just concerned that instead of building everything around SS:2845, things will just get fractured and non-cohesive again. Im just trying to be realistic.

You are out of your mind clueless. I was gonna type up a big long rebuttal about how just about everything you've said is just plain wrong, but that would take all night.

So here are cliffs.
1.) Legends has to remain separate from SS:2845, or the community doesn't have control of it. Control is vital since VUG completely fucked up T2 & T:V. 2.) Control also means the game will be distributed freely. In case you didn't know, T1 was as popular as it was because of warez, not marketing. I downloaded it long before I had even heard about it.
3.) Why mod when you already have the source?
4.) Legends is already in a playable state. Why go back to a mod of something else?
5.) People played Classic, because classic looked better and was done. But the game has to grow and expand. Classic will never expend. Furthermore, you can't get CD keys. So the player base will never rise.
6.) Stop overestimating the power of VUG. If Legends becomes good enough to satisfy this community, the people on this board alone have 10 times the marketing ability of VUG.
6.) Goto K-mart, & buy yourself a clue.

?B-man is a good guy.

The tribes brand belonds to VUG/Sierra. the SS:2845 team, as I understand this, must deliver their work product to VUG/Sierra upon completion. What happens to it at that point, I believe, is up to VUG/Sierra. I suspect that legally, even at this early point, the work done by the SS:2845 team belongs to VUG/Sierra.

BTW, I like these guys. Nice group. Looks great. I'm looking forward to an amazing mech game. I'm sure VUG/Sierra will release it in some form.

As a comment, remember that a free mod popularized TF-Classic and CS. If it is tweaked, is fun and is supported - I think people will play it. In particular given that there is really nothing else like it out there.

?B-MAN said:
Legends, if I understand it correctly, was originally made by folks who where dissapointed with Tribes 2 out of the box. Do you see massive amounts of folks playing it? Not really, instead you had folks migtate to mods like classic or base++ on Tribes 2 because Tribes 2 is the commercial package.

:signed:

They might be able to get a following with Legends and I really hope they can since what they are attempting to do is amazing. But the reality of the situation is that ONLY hardcore T1 players will be probably be interested in Legends. And that's great. Then divide that community by whatever percent when the Ren mod comes out and you might have just decreased the playerbase by 50%!

Don't forget this game is being attempted to be pieced together by different people living all over, in their free time! The possibility of everyone working together and creating something better than all previous Tribes games is going to be a difficult task. Not to mention the timeframe for compeltiton they will be looking at, and their player base becoming more and more upset that they don't have it in their hot little hands.

Anyway, I hope that this project is everything you guys hope it to be and I can only hope that you will end up with a better "tribes" like game than every other Tribes game in existence.

Good luck! And looking forward to that additional T:V content you'll be releasing soon.

Greywolf said:
I dunno what your talking about. Because sure torque is a great engine, but its not free. its 100 bucks per person that uses the engine. and if they are going to release it for T2, then i dunno what id expect, seeing as torque has advanced in leaps and bounds since then.

Personally if they are going to the T2 engine, and working off that shitty old version of torque. I dont think im really looking forward to it.
And if it is on the newer version of lore, it wont be free.

I dunno what to think about all these mods going to torque, because in one sense its good they are changing the engine which allows more. BUT it also causes some serious problems for people who want to play it.

In a development environment it's $100 per developer who is working on the engine source. If all they are doing is editing script or making models, it costs nothing. The legends team sucked up that cost to make the game for free to all those who wished to play it.

Geez some of you are sensitive. Again I support Legends. Im thrilled that there is momentum moving toward the TGE/TSE engine vs the TV engine (sorry TV fans). Im just stating some things to consider if Legends and some Tribes mod for SS:2845 start competing against each other. Who knows what the outcome will be.

Total noobs have taken to Legends because it is free and runs on linux and it runs fast, without ever playing Tribes. Legends and SS:2845 do not compete with each other, Legends is free and I assume SS:2845 is free, so where is the loss here? If both are good you don't have to decide which one to spend your allowance on because... it is free, play both.

There is no problem with having both games at all, one is a mech game and the other is a flag capping jetpack game.

You can not use assumptions when you base them on experiences from RETAIL products. If T:V and Mechwarrior 4 were both free there would be no competition between them, same diff. Its not like anyone cares about the theme of the game, they just want a certain type of gameplay.

Zio said:

They might be able to get a following with Legends and I really hope they can since what they are attempting to do is amazing. But the reality of the situation is that ONLY hardcore T1 players will be probably be interested in Legends. And that's great. Then divide that community by whatever percent when the Ren mod comes out and you might have just decreased the playerbase by 50%!

Don't forget this game is being attempted to be pieced together by different people living all over, in their free time! The possibility of everyone working together and creating something better than all previous Tribes games is going to be a difficult task. Not to mention the timeframe for compeltiton they will be looking at, and their player base becoming more and more upset that they don't have it in their hot little hands.

Anyway, I hope that this project is everything you guys hope it to be and I can only hope that you will end up with a better "tribes" like game than every other Tribes game in existence.

Good luck! And looking forward to that additional T:V content you'll be releasing soon.

I hate all the elitist faggots that lead groups to these stupid fucking decisions. Instead of making a BASE ++ mod to please everyone they go and create a fucking MOD of a game that noone plays. Ooh great decision cock monglers, divide our dwindling community even farther, and like it or not all those players who arent part of your little circle jerk the players that werent around for the T1 haydays, well we make up the other 50% of tribes players. You and just going to ruin what we have left even farther. Noone will play legends, it fucking sucks anyway.

:shrug: good luck anyway

Stage01 said:
I hate all the elitist faggots that lead groups to these stupid fucking decisions. Instead of making a BASE ++ mod to please everyone they go and create a fucking MOD of a game that noone plays. Ooh great decision cock monglers, divide our dwindling community even farther, and like it or not all those players who arent part of your little circle jerk the players that werent around for the T1 haydays, well we make up the other 50% of tribes players. You and just going to ruin what we have left even farther. Noone will play legends, it fucking sucks anyway.

go have fun with your huge tv player base, ill move on to renegades and not miss you one bit.

cant take it that noone plays ur beloved "piece of shit" t:v anymore?
that it is abbandoned by all mod teams.
that u have to play ur great T:V within a 200 people community?

u wont believe it, noone fucking cares about t:v anymore.
i hardly hear any people besides you and zio defending t:v anymore.

the rest got more brains and knows when something sucks.

but continue ur bashing of everything else besides t:v, its funny somehow :)

oh and i forgot, this is the moment where u have to start calling me dumb, stupid...blablabla
as u have to defend ur pov at all costs :)

Stage01 said:

It's okay that you feel that way. I am really sorry you feel the need to be so harsh about legends, but maybe that's for the best. We don't want you anyway.

Legends is not for assholes.

and uh, by the way... we're not targeting this community. We're targeting the people who never really experienced gameplay of this type. We're not making a Tribes clone. We don't give a flying rat's buttock whether we make YOU happy or not... we're in this to make a fun game that's unencumbered by things like a price tag and corporate politics. We'd be stupid to try to compete with VUG in the Tribes universe, honestly, so we're not.

But hey, do me a favor - don't download legends. ever. no matter what happens with it.

Cpl. of Tribes said:
go have fun with your huge tv player base, ill move on to renegades and not miss you one bit.

Look foreward to waiting for a good long time. My guess at LEAST a year just for the base Legends game if they are going to do it right that is. Even longer for the ren mod.

Hey Stage01, obviously you love T:V and don't regret buying it - so how about you make a mod for it. If you want T:V to grow you will have to put in some effort.

Zio said:

Hey Zio, You should be one of the first guys understanding what can be done independently. Look at all the community maps in TV. You guys spent more time on mapping than VUG/IG did on TV. I personally think those maps are much, much better than the stock maps. Artistically, the stock maps were nice looking, but after 2 weeks of playing them, they got boring. Several of our clan mates kept saying "OMG, it's the cave map again".

Independence means:
1) No board room meetings on how everything is supposed to be. That is one huge advantage right there.

2) The freedom to be as creative as possible without any third party limitations saying "You can't do this" and "You can't do that".

One other huge factor is that VUG/IG never supported the modding community. They haven't released a patch for things that should have been in game to make it successfull. With torque, they have proven that they support and help the community that builds games in their environment. That alone is huge.

I like Torque, and everything it can do. ive been part of a game that has been in development for a year on it, kinda like a mech/fps game called DarkHorizons-Lore

Ive seen what the engine can do over that year.
And this is a small movie showing what some gameplay is like

BigGuns said:
Hey Zio, You should be one of the first guys understanding what can be done independently. Look at all the community maps in TV. You guys spent more time on mapping than VUG/IG did on TV. I personally think those maps are much, much better than the stock maps. Artistically, the stock maps were nice looking, but after 2 weeks of playing them, they got boring. Several of our clan mates kept saying "OMG, it's the cave map again".

Independence means:
1) No board room meetings on how everything is supposed to be. That is one huge advantage right there.

2) The freedom to be as creative as possible without any third party limitations saying "You can't do this" and "You can't do that".

One other huge factor is that VUG/IG never supported the modding community. They haven't released a patch for things that should have been in game to make it successfull. With torque, they have proven that they support and help the community that builds games in their environment. That alone is huge.

Very true. But then again, I'm not helping develop maps or new content for Legends am I?

The thing you're not realizing is that there is a HUGE difference between assembling maps the way we are now - grabbing elements/pretextured meshes, textures, prefabs, BSPs, gameplay elements and assembling the map like a puzzle, and designing and creating all of that content for mappers to use. That takes A LOT more time. And if Legends is going to be done properly, it needs to begin from the ground up, since what is preexisting does not compare to the level of detail and design already pre-existing in the other Tribes games.

If you read carefully, the Ren team is not just making their Ren mod for Legends. They are signing on to completly re-do the Legends game from the ground up! If you think this will be done in a few months and be done right, you're crazy! They also can not use ANY pre existing content from any other Tribes games since there would be HUGE legal issues. So this project is going to take serious time.

It could turn out amazing if it's done right and my point is that it will take lots and lots of TIME to be done properly. Time you won't be playing or competing in anything if you are waiting for Legends.

Back