Renegades switching to Torque and Legends!

Plese, use TSE guys... Let's say if everyone here would donate 5 $ or something on a PayPal, it would be enough to give you the early adopter license... When you buy it, you get the full release for free later on.

Mort Rouge said:
Plese, use TSE guys... Let's say if everyone here would donate 5 $ or something on a PayPal, it would be enough to give you the early adopter license... When you buy it, you get the full release for free later on.

Dear Mort, we know various things could help us out greatly and we are going to try and not let cost ever be a limiting factor. If you would like to donate please see:
http://renwerx.com/donate.shtml

After reading and thinking about all of this..
I think renegades made the wrong decision teaming up with Legends.
Renegades should be a intergrated mod for Starsiege 2845, after its out.
If they started working with the Starsiege 2845 team, now they could maybe get core things added in the engine to support a tribes mod like player jetting.
and I bet the Starsiege 2845 team, could use more skinners, scriptes, coders, mappers.

Theres no precident for free shooter games ever gaining a large player base, except for one I can think of at the moment, Americas's Army buts its got millions in us goverment funding, that would support making a mod like renegades, or any large mod for. the installed player base of these games are to small.. I aggree with Creole Neds, post over in the T:V forums. http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@207.zaZ7ew7Wkb8.0@.1dd96fd0

Creole Ned (Moderator) - 08:57pm Mar 16, 2005 PST
I mean that T:V is a commercially available game that you can buy in a retail outlet. By that fact alone it has far more exposure than Legends ever would. Trying to build a successful (as in widely-played) mod on an obscure non-commercial title is...a difficult task, I would say.

Creole Ned (Moderator) - 12:26am Mar 16, 2005 PST

In my own opinion, Renegades has only marginalized itself by switching to a non-commercial game as its base. The player base of T:V may be small but it's far bigger than the tiny base of Legends players. They will have an extremely difficult time trying to garner any significant player support. But perhaps that isn't their primary goal.

Last edited:
About the TSE issue.

We will try to integrate TSE but at the moment that is not an option.

WHY:

TSE is unfinished. Several things we code into TSE will most likely BREAK. We do not want to confuse the breaking of features with bugs, or have to return to recode these things for future use.

Right now TGE is the only option we have. The Legends team will not even consider using TSE untill it is complete. There is nothing stopping the Renwerx team from putting together shader maps for our skins though.

Theres no hurry, you all ready have tribes2 renegades. theres little chance you will have much success or even close to what you had on tribes2....

I don't know if the Starsiege 2845 team, would even be willing to have an intergrated tribes mod in there game or even add basic support for it so adding it later would be easyer. I guess they would need permision from Vivendi Universal Games, first.

The best way I see to save and keep tribes going for many years is to have it out on the next TSE engine, thats made for this game, along with Starsiege 2845, a commercial game most likely being sold in stores...
this would bring the whole community back togathere.

The Horny Rat said:
Theres no hurry, you all ready have tribes2 renegades. theres little chance you will have much success or even close to what you had on tribes2....

I don't know if the Starsiege 2845 team, would even be willing to have an intergrated tribes mod in there game or even add basic support for it so adding it later would be easyer. I guess they would need permision from Vivendi Universal Games, first.

The best way I see to save and keep tribes going for many years is to have it out on the next TSE engine, thats made for this game, along with Starsiege 2845, a commercial game most likely being sold in stores...
this would bring the whole community back togathere.

I will reply to the posts on VU on VU. I am happy you have informed us we won't have any luck Horny Rat, I am sure you are an expert on these things.

Clearly we should team up with S2845, who is controlled by VU (and we saw how well that worked for TV). In addition it is obviously best to start with a MECH base game instead of legends who has spent countless hours working with torque to give it an amazing Tribes feel.

I am not sure what next gen TSE engine you are talking about, but if you are talking about the current one it would help if you did some research first. TSE is not a completely new engine, and it has been stated by people who actually know the engine that going from TGE->TSE would take only a few weeks time.

Thanks for your comments Rat, but forgive me for not hanging on your words.

I hope your right in the end, because I have a lot of time invested in my legends mod war2004, but moving your mod to a game thats not going to be sold in stores and has no commercial exposure, or a installed player base, most in the industry with any brains would say your got little chance of success..

Theres nothing wrong with having a tribes mod made for Starsiege 2845, its all in the same universe..
no one said it was a bad idea when it was being made for T:V, lol..........

Last edited:
The Horny Rat said:
I hope your right in the end, because I have a lot of time invested in my legends mod war2004, but moving your mod to a game thats not going to be sold in stores and has no commercial exposure, or a installed player base, most in the industry with any brains would say your got little chance of success..

Theres nothing wrong with having a tribes mod made for Starsiege 2845, its all in the same universe..
no one said it was a bad idea when it was being made for T:V, lol..........

Commerical exposure... Like they had with T:V?

They had there chance, the commercial exposure was not the problem the game product and no support for it was. I think most would agree, commurcial exposure is better than no getting any like you will with Legends. :nuts:

The Horny Rat said:
After reading and thinking about all of this..
I think renegades made the wrong decision teaming up with Legends.
Renegades should be a intergrated mod for Starsiege 2845, after its out.
If they started working with the Starsiege 2845 team, now they could maybe get core things added in the engine to support a tribes mod like player jetting.
and I bet the Starsiege 2845 team, could use more skinners, scriptes, coders, mappers.

Theres no precident for free shooter games ever gaining a large player base, except for one I can think of at the moment, Americas's Army buts its got millions in us goverment funding, that would support making a mod like renegades, or any large mod for. the installed player base of these games are to small.. I aggree with Creole Neds, post over in the T:V forums. http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@207.zaZ7ew7Wkb8.0@.1dd96fd0

Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic. Free shooters are the LARGEST played shooters online.

JimBodkins said:
Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic. Free shooters are the LARGEST played shooters online.

I know but they all had millions speent on the game they run on and had a large player base already.. I also mentioned the free game americas army, buts it had millions in funding by the us goverment, and there going to make a new americas army on the next UT engine... americas army really can't be compaired to free games or Legends, because of the money speent on it makes it able to compete with large commercial games.

Last edited:
Arcanox said:
About the TSE issue.

We will try to integrate TSE but at the moment that is not an option.

WHY:

TSE is unfinished. Several things we code into TSE will most likely BREAK. We do not want to confuse the breaking of features with bugs, or have to return to recode these things for future use.

Right now TGE is the only option we have. The Legends team will not even consider using TSE untill it is complete. There is nothing stopping the Renwerx team from putting together shader maps for our skins though.

Arcanox, if you buy a TSE license, it will be about 100 $ cheaper per buy than to buy it when it is released... Wouldnt it be smarter to consider upgrading now...?

JimBodkins said:

And without Half-Life, those games wouldn't exist. Half-Life spawned those two beasts, and obviously, Half-Life already had a huge following when those 'mods' came-about.

Not the best comparison...let's see a huge mod, that came from a game like Tribes...for example, since it's probably the best comparison. Oh, wow, none exist...imagine that.

Horny Rat, you are so clueless. No offense to the SS team, but what the fuck have they actually produced? You seem to think they are god's gift to the mod community, but what have they made besides pretty screen shots. OMG good screenshots!!! They are so l33t!!!!111 Legends is already PLAYABLE!!! Since Ren is mostly just new art, weapons, & deployables, they can start playtesting their creations TODAY!!!

Or, they could join the SS team, which would 1.) add virtually nothing to SS:2845's team they don't have already, 2.) recreate tribes physics which has already been done by Legends, 3.) be handcuffed by VUG, which completely screwed up T:V, and 4.) Wait for SS to get to a playable state.

Legends + Ren = win/win. SS:2845 + Ren = meh/lose.

As for commercial exposure... CS had no commercial exposure until it became a major cash cow for Valve. People were buying halflife just to play CS. Only THEN did it get true commercial marketing. Starseige:Tribes had virtually none. It was spread mostly through word of mouth and warez. I can't remember if I ever saw it on a store shelf. You completely underestimate the power of word of mouth for great games.

NoFiX said:
Not the best comparison...let's see a huge mod, that came from a game like Tribes...for example, since it's probably the best comparison. Oh, wow, none exist...imagine that.

Tribes itself is probably the best example. It had less marketing than T:V.

None existed prior to TFC either. The point is, they were free and were/are more popular than most commercial titles. They benefited from HL exposure. Many people have played/purchased a tribes title. They arent buying/playing T:V. Legends could inherit all the previous Tribes customers/players by default. Hard to say until and unless it happens. I think they have a better shot than T:V did. What I do know is - many people played/bought some form of Tribes and are missing at the moment in record numbers. I doubt it's because they suddenly realised they had made a mistake in the past associating with Tribes. I think it's T:V's inability to compete with titles like WoW and a general sense of disappointment with some.

Those people are still there. I suspect they would happily become involved in a game - community developed shooter - if it was 1) Free - didnt compete with commercial titles at all financially and 2) had the same fun buzz they experienced with earlier Tribes titles. (Although some to be sure have found that buzz in T:V - just not as many as were hoped for).

It's hard to say if players will return, but I am certain that gameplay, player base and cost were key elements in the success of the HL mods. I think Legends will likely have those elements in its favor as well. Hard to say, but free isnt a disqualifier IMO. (Which was my point)

P.S.
TFC begain as a free-community mod for Quake.

Last edited:
Make a Tribes game that is better then T1 and T2 and I will drag 100+ people in to play it immediately! We all know some players that we could invite. That is how you create a player base @ no cost.

CarpeIppon said:
Horny Rat, you are so clueless. No offense to the SS team, but what the fuck have they actually produced? You seem to think they are god's gift to the mod community, but what have they made besides pretty screen shots. OMG good screenshots!!! They are so l33t!!!!111 Legends is already PLAYABLE!!! Since Ren is mostly just new art, weapons, & deployables, they can start playtesting their creations TODAY!!!

Or, they could join the SS team, which would 1.) add virtually nothing to SS:2845's team they don't have already, 2.) recreate tribes physics which has already been done by Legends, 3.) be handcuffed by VUG, which completely screwed up T:V.

Legends + Ren = win/win. SS:2845 + Ren = meh/lose.

As for commercial exposure... CS had no commercial exposure until it became a major cash cow for Valve. People were buying halflife just to play CS. Only THEN did it get true commercial marketing. Starseige:Tribes had virtually none. It was spread mostly through word of mouth and warez. I can't remember if I ever saw it on a store shelf. You completely underestimate the power of word of mouth for great games.

But CS was still based on halflife a commercial game located on your local store shelf, with a desent player base, unlike Legends...

I don't think you know what your talking about.
Legends is not really that playable, for a lot of us people it crashs a lot.

also the SS:2845 team, has produced a great deal of work, like models, textures, skins, player models, vehicle models, weapon models, and more.
there a group with commercial grade talented people needed to make it succesful.

I don't think you would need to recreate the tribes physics from scatch on TSE or TGE, that demo game realmwars seems to have great physics already.. the engine is meant for tribes. there will be jetpacks in SS:2845, but just not used in the same way.. so making a tribes mod for it will happen I bet, I know I plan on porting my tribes2 mod war2003..
They have stated there going to have an inventory system like tribes2 but with more features, us tribes modders with love that... the legends inventory system blows as is, no mod campatiblity, buying or unbuying things is a pain in the ass..

Last edited:
Back