Renegades switching to Torque and Legends!

how long ago did you play?
because before it was this:
9472_640.jpg

and now it looks like this:
1984.lore_2_0.jpg

the textures were redone, as well as the models

I'm really surprised how many people are so vain regarding graphics. Sure, good graphics are great to have, but it's not that important for me. If the game is fun, I will play it regardless of high poly counts or fancy pixel shaders.

The Horny Rat said:
I played the early beta like 6 months ago I think...
those pics look a lot nicer, sorry about putting your game down...

Its not my game. Just a Indie game that i have alot of respect for. The people put their own cash into it, made it while working their day jobs, and they made a damn good game. Just thought you might not have saw the game for all its worth.

The Horny Rat said:
If the Renegades team, is going to be investing all there work, reworking Legends from the ground up including engine fixs, it seems stuped not to have full access and have a say in what happens to the Legends project.

I say make Renegades a standalone game.
make a little deal with the Legends team, for art work and models or what ever, let them keep working on legends by them self, in trade for some engine code and scripting they did, and maybe a little help coding the TSE engine.
The Renegades team would be better off waiting for TSE, and having full engine access, control and ownership rights to there project.

Renegades is a much larger development team and we will have our own Engine team to work with the legends team on the engine. That way we can help with the engine without making legends do everything. Legends is very willing to work with us and we will have direct engine access.

Greywolf said:
Its not my game. Just a Indie game that i have alot of respect for. The people put their own cash into it, made it while working their day jobs, and they made a damn good game. Just thought you might not have saw the game for all its worth.

those shots are beautiful. got a link?

EDIT - never mind i'm blind.

I must say that top image in the second jpg actually looks impressive. Its almost photorealistic looking and thats TGE wow. I dont think many have seen what can really be done with TGE because there honestly hasnt been another big commercial type game built on the engine since Tribes 2. Obviously it can be made to look far more polished than anything seen in T2. Cant wait to see what the Legends/Renwerx/Clancore folks come up with.

Last edited:
?B-MAN said:
... I dont think many have seen what can really be done with TGE because there honestly hasnt been another big commercial type game built on the engine since Tribes 2. Obviously it can be made to look far more polished than anything seen in T2. ...
People need to remember that T2 came out in 2001. The engine was basically pre-beta TGE back then (it wasn't even called Torque :p) and has been in development for the past 4 years. Can't keep assuming that the graphics are somehow limited to what T2 had.

Greywolf said:
how long ago did you play?
because before it was this:
9472_640.jpg

and now it looks like this:
1984.lore_2_0.jpg

the textures were redone, as well as the models

True, I suppose, but having played that shitpile, they wanted that kind of money for 3-4 mech-types and a couple tanks along with a few maps.

It looked and played terrible and they wanted like $40 right out of the gate.

JimBodkins said:
Hey scratch, was that for me? Ren is going to be a mod regardless where they go and always have been. I was reacting to an assertion that Ren should demand control/ownership - seems thugish to me. (I dont expect the Ren guys to take that approach).

One note, they must respect the GG liscense. (I'm not intimate with that).

I was responding to Horny Rat (whom you quoted). He was reporting on licensing issues with contributed code. Ideally in a project like this you get contributors to license their code in a way that it can be passed downstream easily. This is really what the GPL is about, to keep code easily available for others wanting to extend what you've contributed. (BTW, GPL is not an exclusive license; many projects are dual-licensed by the code owners.)

The Horny Rat said:
The coders are around I agree, but nothing has been done in over a year to address many issues like the buggy sound system in the engine.
theres also somthing that crashis the game a lot on loading...

Is this source accessible? (Assuming one front's the $100 to GG.) Sounds like this is nicely reproducible, the most important prerequisite to fixing it.

The audio problem is directly related to OpenAL. Unless your running a Sound Blaster, expect problems. Other cards/onboard hardware have crappy OpenAL support.

ZOD said:
The audio problem is directly related to OpenAL. Unless your running a Sound Blaster, expect problems. Other cards/onboard hardware have crappy OpenAL support.

though i swore off getting involved in these threads, I have to clarify -

the new openAL layer creative released apparently fixes a lot of issues. we're working on integrating that immediately, as an FYI. among the issues are the repeating bug and the memory leaks.

The Horny Rat said:
The coders are around I agree, but nothing has been done in over a year to address many issues like the buggy sound system in the engine.
theres also somthing that crashis the game a lot on loading...
servers seem to crash a lot too. I am not asking for much but the inventory system needs a little work. and there needs to be a better favs option so mods don't mess up base settings...

I tried to say that from experience of playing it but I guess my "florida swamp"
comparsion urked some.It is really buggy to me.Reminds me of Tribes 2 before the 25034 patch...maybe even worse.

Back