Renegades switching to Torque and Legends!

novanix

Veteran X
RenWerX announced today that their popular Renegades mod will be switching from TV to the Torque engine. We will be working with the Legends team to establish an amazing base, virtually redoing all the graphics and models that are currently there (along with various other additions), and then expand upon that to form the Next Generation of Renegades. Renegades will be 100% free to download once completed! For those who have questions on our switching, please see our reasons.

This is a huge opportunity for Renegades and Tribes but we need YOUR help! In order to create a professional game we are going to have to expand our 30 person development team to include even more people! Not only are we working on Renegades now but the entire base of the game too. We need everyone from modelers to mappers to managers, see our job listings page and check if you can help us out. If you would rather help with a monetary donation, we finally have put up our donations page, we have various uses for funds now (like license requirements) so all donations are welcome.

All of our current code (18,000+ lines) is now available for download, and our maps are being converted back to base for future release in a map pack (for full details please see our resource release page). When we release our map pack we will also release an bot pack featuring bots for multiplayer including seak and destory by none other than our Calsa! As always feel free to join our mailing list to be notified of anything Renegades related. Finally we will be having a public chat for those who want to talk about things or hear some of what we have planned with the switch. It will be Sunday, March 20th, at 9 EST on irc.dynamix.com channel: #RenWerX you can also join us from our java chat page.

novanix said:
RenWerX announced today that their popular Renegades mod will be switching from TV to the Torque engine. We will be working with the Legends team to establish an amazing base, virtually redoing all the graphics and models that are currently there (along with various other additions), and then expand upon that to form the Next Generation of Renegades. Renegades will be 100% free to download once completed! For those who have questions on our switching, please see our reasons.

I thiink this is great that they will be working together to make a FREE game for others to enjoy. I for one welcome this news.

good, I was getting tierd of Mapping in TvED.

Edit: I sold my copy of TV when I found out about this. :)

Last edited:
BigPappa said:
I thiink this is great that they will be working together to make a FREE game for others to enjoy. I for one welcome this news.

I dunno what your talking about. Because sure torque is a great engine, but its not free. its 100 bucks per person that uses the engine. and if they are going to release it for T2, then i dunno what id expect, seeing as torque has advanced in leaps and bounds since then.

Personally if they are going to the T2 engine, and working off that shitty old version of torque. I dont think im really looking forward to it.
And if it is on the newer version of lore, it wont be free.

I dunno what to think about all these mods going to torque, because in one sense its good they are changing the engine which allows more. BUT it also causes some serious problems for people who want to play it.

And it sounds to me, every time someone switches. It seems as if they are trying to make a brand new game, but just say its a "mod". Which can be good and bad, but i have a feeling it will be worse off in the end

Greywolf said:
I dunno what your talking about. Because sure torque is a great engine, but its not free. its 100 bucks per person that uses the engine. and if they are going to release it for T2, then i dunno what id expect, seeing as torque has advanced in leaps and bounds since then......

Yes we have to pay for engine licenses but we will release Renegades for FREE, meaning you can download and play it without paying.

As for old tech read the why we are switching article I wrote, it explains how Torque(TGE)/TSE are nothing like what it was from Tribes 2. The engine is heavily changed and TSE is completely new.

If you want to make sure things go well apply for a job to help us out!

You do not have to purchase Torque unless you need access to the source for some reason. They would be best served to ask the Legends team to add things into the source they may need. It's a win win situation for both groups. As for the idiot calling TGE "shitty old version of torque" I say to you Fuck off and die.

ZOD said:
You do not have to purchase Torque unless you need access to the source for some reason. They would be best served to ask the Legends team to add things into the source they may need. It's a win win situation for both groups. As for the idiot calling TGE "shitty old version of torque" I say to you Fuck off and die.

This is wonderfull.

ZOD, I would still like to see a mech ported. (Just as a mapper option on larger vehicle-centric maps. I would still want to see smaller cluster style maps as well).

I'm not sure people understand what TGE really is.

As a comment, free is good, but I would rather see something paid at some point for infrastructure. (Maintaining masters etc). Small dues maybe. We (some of us at least) understand the costs associated with maintaining mission critical servers. :) That can be discussed later. But as an adult - I dont want to be shouted down by 14 year olds that expect everything to be free. (Sorry to all the reasonable 14 year olds).

Great news!! Congrats to the Renegades team!

On one hand, how sad the community has to make it's own game. On the other hand, it's like this community is making gaming history by deciding to go our own way. We're lucky to have so many talented and very dedicated people here.

I think it would be much better if large publishers started contracting with communities such as ours to have gamers who know the game, make the friggin game.

VU = FU

DudeofDeath said:
On one hand, how sad the community has to make it's own game.
I think it would be much better if large publishers started contracting with communities such as ours to have gamers who know the game, make the friggin game.
Sad? Hell no, why do you think Torque exists and is priced the way it is. That's the goal, independant development. As for publishers contracting communities, that wouldn't work unless publishers changed the way they do things. When you work with someone elses IP they have absolute say in what you do, and how your game is done. It would be a frusturating process which would yield crap at the end. Case in point...T:V.

Back