T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

You should be able to shoot the grappler attachment point. Say it has X health, and if you shoot it a few times with the spinfuser, it breaks off and the player using it gets flung in some random direction. The grappler doesn't break often enough also.... :(

Koko said:
Seems like T:V's harshest critics are from the T2 camp. Let's see, we no longer have concs, whiteouts, heat seeking rockets, lance, cameras, cloak pack, 2 types of deployable turrets and sensors, satchel, and in the case of Classic, the most newbiefied and easy skiing ever seen in tribes.

In my opinion, T:V has stripped away a lot of the fluff and stupidness that was in T2. Don't get me wrong, I played T2 and enjoyed it, but T:V seems to be more conducive to competitive play to me. I'm looking forward to ladder play after the retail release.

Now hopefully, the tourney mode, admin functions, DEMOS, non regs, server control and netcode will be fixed/improved for the gold release.

Edit: omg, word filter is out of control.

yup, most of the people from t2 complaining are saying they have played t1 and never have.go look for your satchel's and lances somewhere else.

black label said:
yup, most of the people from t2 complaining are saying they have played t1 and never have.go look for your satchel's and lances somewhere else.

I'm sure some people may miss some of those items, and some not so much (I don't miss the various hand grenades or heat seeking rockets one bit, not to mention the turrets), but I still see some of the biggest and legimitate complaints from the T2 camp in regards to the grappler and skiing.

Pretty lame to ignore the real issues and focus on superflous ones.

I played it a lot when I first paid FP to get in a week early, now it just seems to get more boring day by day. It just doesnt have that draw for me that T1 and T2 had. With those games, it felt like a challenge to learn things and get better, and it was like there was always something new waiting to be done. But with T:V I feel so repetitive it's really not funny...

I guess all this is just my way of totally agreeing with Writer and the lots of other people commenting on the game. I will buy it, but until a MOD comes out that gives the the gameplay I want (read: more like either t1 or t2), I probably won't miss any classes over it. :mecry:

black label said:

I don't know who you are, but I've played both games and been on fairly competitive teams for both games. Nobody is complaining about satchels and lances being gone (you just made that up because you are a moron). I do see complaints about skiing still not being right and the depth of the game being hacked to Q3/Unreal level simplicity. T2 had so many options that I'll agree, it was a little too complex. Still, T1 has more depth than T:V does, and T1 is a fairly simple game once you break it down.

I don't know... I love the skiing in T:V. And many of the complaints so far, I just think it's too early to say. With each scrim I'm seeing something new, and more strat possibilities. I'd like to get a whole lot more scrims/matches under my belt before looking for a mod/mutator.

[Khorne]Johnny X said:
I don't know who you are, but I've played both games and been on fairly competitive teams for both games. Nobody is complaining about satchels and lances being gone (you just made that up because you are a moron). I do see complaints about skiing still not being right and the depth of the game being hacked to Q3/Unreal level simplicity. T2 had so many options that I'll agree, it was a little too complex. Still, T1 has more depth than T:V does, and T1 is a fairly simple game once you break it down.

I complained about it when they announced they werent going to have a satchel in the game...what really sucks now is with Thrax gone...we dont really have any contact with IG or sierra or whatever...I hope this game gets saved some how...

the lack of depth is scary...

[Khorne]Johnny X said:

No,you are the moron for thinking you know anyone online.

I still don't get what's wrong with the grappler. Every time I see someone complain about it or call for a nerf, I just go: "huh?"

blazindave said:
I complained about it when they announced they werent going to have a satchel in the game...what really sucks now is with Thrax gone...we dont really have any contact with IG or sierra or whatever...I hope this game gets saved some how...

the lack of depth is scary...

Automated turrets != depth.
Shocklance != depth.
Satchels != depth.

T1 was deep because it didn't have those things. It was man on man, skill versus skill, and ultimately your game plan and execution of that game plan were what won the day, not your turret set up.

Writer said:
I still don't get what's wrong with the grappler. Every time I see someone complain about it or call for a nerf, I just go: "huh?"
Agreed. The grappler adds a whole new dimension to movement, and it seems some people don't think it was right to do so.

Forensic said:
These are just extra forces that good players can use to their advantage everytime they hook a grapple onto something. I bet the devs don't even realise they are there and they've just been held over from UT2K4. (Think about how much air control you have on low-grav maps in UT2K4. You have that same kind of control in T:V. Not so in other tribes games.)

This also actually makes it really easy to nail routes perfectly, because you don't need jets to correct for hitting a jump poorly. Just get in the air over your jump, freefall and use the mid-air manuvering to nail the jump perfectly without jetting.
The dev team intentionally put in non-jet air control (AKA drifting or gliding). It was put in because it is often intuitive to new players used to the air control of other FPS's, but also because it adds a subtle element to movement. It also fits in with their "easy to learn, hard to master" doctrine, in that drifting falls off with speed, so the faster you go, the less air control you'll have. The truly fast routes will be as difficult to pull off as ever.

Lastly, all these worries about the "lack of depth" are sure to be addressed when the first mutators come out. If "depth" to you means having an abundance of packs, weapons, deployables and vehicles at your disposal, then there will always be a Renegades or Shifter mod.

JohnClark said:
Automated turrets != depth.
Shocklance != depth.
Satchels != depth.

T1 was deep because it didn't have those things. It was man on man, skill versus skill, and ultimately your game plan and execution of that game plan were what won the day, not your turret set up.
have you ever played t2 comp? are you that stupid?

mc-fine said:
So they made T2 with a whole lot more options and complexity. That obviously didn't work out too well. Then they went back closer to the old formula and threw in some new weapons and vehicles and now ppl say its too simple and doesn't bring enough to the table.

You said very important thing. In 2001 there was no teams with sufficiently good organization for 16v16. Players didn't know how to play pubs in so huge teams. Now, we are almost 4 years older. We know how to organize our clans, how to make good tactics (oh, with exceptions ;-P), sometimes we are kind enough to play pubs with a bit of teamplay.

And all these things are unimportant now, becase T:V is a very shallow game for max. 8v8. Weapons physics is a physics we know from UT, Q3A and many other games. Shooting is not fun. What is fun? Speed of movement is fun, but good skiing doesn't consist of speed only.

Add very, very average graphics design, add lack of many good ideas from T2 which has gone (like flagdiscing or flagpassing) and... you are bored after 2 weeks on 4 maps. In Europe there are still Kata only servers (omg, I know, it's stupid...). One map for 4 years against 4 maps for 2 weeks. There is nothing new you can do in T:V after 2 weeks.

Idk who will play this game. New players? They don't like flying. I remember first months of UT99. Hundreds of servers with Morpheus only... But after a few months nobody has played it (except me :p). You really think that many T1 & T2 vets will play T:V? Speed of flight is an important factor for T1 vets, but even they aren't blind. From T2 pov, T:V is not a true tribes game. So, who will play it?

I will play it if I get good fps in matches just based on the simple fact that its tribes and no other FPS can come close.And if base becomes boring quickly after gold, this game is suppose to very very modable

Back