T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

Wulfen said:
They didn't make the game for us.

That is the problem right there. "We want to make a game that is different from T1 and T2". My question is why? Seriously, why? If they didn't make it for the 90% of people who consist of their consumer base, then who the hell did they make it for? Is Sierra going to set up an UberLAN through their building allowing their employees to play T:V during lunch break or what?

Writer said:
One thing for me is that it feels less like a sim, and more like a game.

And no, I'm not comparing it to T2. I liked T2, but mostly for the scripting changes. I played T2 mostly just 'cause it was Tribes.

T1, though, was built by a team that were flight sim makers at heart...and it showed. I've always been a sim kind of guy...I owned every single game ever published by Microprose, for instance. T1 felt to me like a "personal armor simulator." It felt more immersive for me...I was in the Tribes universe, I was right there on Raindance and Rollercoaster and Stonehenge.

T:V feels really...artificial in comparison. It's pretty, but not in a gritty enough way...everything has that kind of, I dunno, kid's toy look to it.

A lot of it, I think, has to do with the maps and the, uh, cutesy-cartoony UT2k4 engine. The maps are just too small, I don't get that sense of being in a real place like I did in T1, that sense of exploration when you played a map for the first time. Instead I feel like I'm in a sports arena.

LabRat said something in the GG forums that resonated a bit with me: Planetside feels more like Tribes than T:V does. As much as I dislike SOE and have issues with Planetside, there's truth in what he says. It's almost like someone took Tribes and split it in two...the strategy, warfare, teamwork half was given to Planetside, and the "sports" half was given to T:V.

There are a lot of little things I really like about T:V...such as the empty disc launcher clip animation which was just such a great decision. The game is full of nice little touches like that, it's obvious a lot of care went into it. But there seems to be something missing. Hopefully it's just the maps, although if it's true we're only getting another 6 at release...I dunno.

Like the others here, I really want to like this game...I just wish I didn't have to try so hard.

Yout got it! Totally agree.

I'm late in the thread, but a lot of people have started school now so that may be a large part of it. I haven't played as much lately mostly because of work.

Also remember that it was a beta released on File Planet and ALOT of people are paid suscribers to FP.

many of them will play a free beta to see if they like it. Those that didn't or moved on to some other beta or "latest and greatest" patch quit playing and the count dropped.

Plus as stated earlier, school & the hurricane. I was off for two days due to the hurricane and quite a few thousand people are still without electricity as of earlier today.

Ivan was a nasty one. The neighbor's tree is sparking on the power lines beside my house and I am hoping the utlities company will get to it soon lol.

Sub40 said:
I've lost interest in pubs, and if retail version isn't an improvement I won't support it either. Things that piss me off:

- shazbotty netcode
- Half of my MA's are no-regs
- Bugged tournament mode
- The grapple: i think it's retarded and takes away from the rewards of tried and tested route capping.
- The soupy ass feeling of skiing in HO armor, and moreso how if you barely eff up a route in HO you stop almost dead in your tracks. Not so noticable in other armors.
- The 4 maps that shipped all are boring now and don't seem to have any longevity to them post-retail.
- The difficulty of finding and hosting a playable server.

You are right smaq

I almost want to say "I told you so" about the grapple..i remember you were one of the big supporters of the idea

There are a lot of details that have been neglected which people assumed would be present..and now that they're gone they are badly missed

I'm playing the beta a lot less because it feels like a beta. I really like the game, but it just feels annoying to put up with bugs that you know have been fixed. That and the maps - winterlake and cavern are just plain boring, Isle is good and Emerald is mediocre. Q3 and UT2004, which had huge demos, put a lot of care into selecting the demo maps. Playing StoneHenge over and over again is fine, playing cavern over and over again isn't.

I'm still playing the beta quite a bit, but not as much as I used to. A big part of it is definately the maps, as I can only really handle playing Cavern and Emerald once per session (maybe I'm getting old but Emerald really drains me). But the other think is that I think after many, many years of CTF (starting with Q1), I'm just kinda sick of it.

The last game I played A LOT A LOT A LOT of was Halo. My roommates and I played for hours every day for months (all three of us were laid off dot-commers at the time). The gametype we played the most? Race. I'm not kidding, we played 100's and 100's of hours of Race. I'm hoping somebody mods in something similar for T:V as I think it could be friggen awesome given the Tribes physics and such.

I think the future of the franchise lies in branching out from CTF into other gametypes as CTF is (a) not liked by all gamers, (b) getting a little boring to play ALL the time for others. I used to run a T1 server that mixed in maps of all the gametypes. I'm planning to do the same for T:V, as once you get people to TRY other gametypes I they usually end up liking them.

Hard not to agree with all these posts. Face it T1 took abit to get a hold of T2 was a few months of getting spanked (unless you were unemployed at the time) .But I have to say 5 things about TV, though i would like to ramble.

1. too easy to ski
2. mines and turrets are WAY to ****ing big in size (easy to see)
3. d is all ground based, cant plant turrets on ceiling (sux)
4. maps are so small you can cap in less than 20 secs in some cases
5. The vehics are a total joke

I know its beta but i keep reading big issues are set, and it is very scary thing to hear.

Flame on guys, I can take it! :soapbox:

I ve been flamed quite bit for saying certain things about tribes V.
and ill say em again if i have to..one of em being that...this game is empty!
lack of depth...seriously...4 packs? 4vehicles?(and thats just the half ot it) i dont really care how many combinations there are...its how many individuel items there are that count...maps are too small...and i absolutley loath cavern...its too boxed in for a tribes game...
in T1 an T2 even if u were in a base, the space around you was huge. This game might be feature complete...but i think they have to pull a half life 2 and delay it again...seriously...this game is going to crash and burn and explode in a million of pieces when it comes out...

thats all there is to say

Last edited:
adding my 2c to this thread... remember when VU releases T1 and T2 for free, yet dispite large number of downloads, the community didn't see an obvious increase in players?

It's not about, whether the games are outdated, good gameplay is still, good gameplay. The free releases have prolly seem many new players in tribes, but most are unable to find interest in the shooting that exisit in tribes.

Online gaming have changed, we'd moved from quakeworld to games that are slower, with semi-realistic hitscans. Thing is tribe isn't a game newbirds can flock into and shoot each other without mastering the basics... and also dispite that T;V is one with the easiliest learning curve, it's still takes time for players to get used to the non hitscan combat environment.

UT2k4 is at least chaotic and spammy, which new players can still find appeal in playing.

Writer said:
LabRat said something in the GG forums that resonated a bit with me: Planetside feels more like Tribes than T:V does. As much as I dislike SOE and have issues with Planetside, there's truth in what he says. It's almost like someone took Tribes and split it in two...the strategy, warfare, teamwork half was given to Planetside, and the "sports" half was given to T:V.

I feel exactly that way. I am playing Planetside and will play T:V, but it does feel like Tribes (2) was split into these two games.

The thing I am missing about T:V is larger maps. I agree that smaller maps are fun, but they turn more into TDM then CTF. It's not bad once in a while, but for me, Tribes was all about bigger maps. Especially now that we can ski faster then Tribes 2 soup you would expect that the map size would increase or stay similar to Tribes 2. Right now it feels like driving a formula 1 car in a parking lot.

Bigger maps (distance between flags of 1 km or more) will give you more possible routes, faster skiing and add a tactical element. Personally I cannot wait for remakes of the T1 and T2 maps and I seriously hope there are some big maps in the final release.

Surathani said:
1. too easy to ski
2. mines and turrets are WAY to ****ing big in size (easy to see)
3. d is all ground based, cant plant turrets on ceiling (sux)
4. maps are so small you can cap in less than 20 secs in some cases
5. The vehics are a total joke

1. It's fine IMO
2. Agreed. First time I deployed a mine I was wondering if it was a bugged because it was so huge.
3. Agreed.
4. Definately agree. I can cap on Emerald in 6 seconds and I consider myself an average player. Not good.
5. Agreed. Weapons on the vehicles are good, the way of controlling them isn't.

Well except for all the the bugs, then I think it's the "baseraping" that is the killer of most peoples enjoyment of the game... That and not learning the aiming...

b0n0 said:
Well except for all the the bugs, then I think it's the "baseraping" that is the killer of most peoples enjoyment of the game... That and not learning the aiming...

Basetrash is easy to counter even with elementary teamplay. With a decent defense, even getting to the enemy base can be a chore to a single HO (maybe Isle being an exception - but still defendable). Even when the base gets trashed, it's not like it would take forever to get it back online.

Discourse said:
Basetrash is easy to counter even with elementary teamplay. With a decent defense, even getting to the enemy base can be a chore to a single HO (maybe Isle being an exception - but still defendable). Even when the base gets trashed, it's not like it would take forever to get it back online.

Sure might be fun to repair the base a couple of times, but doing it all game long is...

b0n0 said:
Sure might be fun to repair the base a couple of times, but doing it all game long is...

And that's where the defense part comes in. I can't think of a map that couldn't be adequately defended with just a couple of decent players.

Back