T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

i think a poll is needed or should have been done before TV started. There seem to be an assumption out there by the dev and original seirra folks that people want more T1 and for the game to be more sporklike. No! We want more like T2 classic with more depth and more epic warfare-like. I'll bet there are more T2 players out there than there are those who prefer T1
Currently, I highly doubt I'll buy the game

Origim said:
When the beta started, there were some 1300 people playing. The number gradually dropped until yestrday's 700 people at EST peak hours. Today it still holds at 700, but it's weekend.

What is going on?

They made a game that will sell lots. Nothing was said about longevity. The faster people stop playing the faster we will buy Tribes:Gullible.

Games aren't made for vets, they are made for the masses (newbs). You just gotta live with it. T1 will NEVER happen again. As hard as IG tried, you can't balance newbs and vets in tribes, the skill levels vary too greatly.

I think T:V is fun and looks great...it just lacks some oomph. Something is missing that keeps me playing for hour upon hour upon hour, day after day after day....

They took away the main thing that kept people going for more - Refer to two shazbotty maps - T1 it was blastside in T2 it was quagmire. Yes these maps sucked for competition, but for pubs...base raping was an extremely fun challenge. Blastside always had full 32 players when ever it came around in the rotation on pubs. It dropped on a more competition friendly map like desert. Blastside was always busy too.

I haven't seen a map in T:V that brings the enjoyment I had when i played those two maps from t1/t2. (There are other great maps, but I'm trying to show how aspects from those maps, made players keep coming back for more.)

Irrational obviously created a set of requirements that borrowed heavily from the competition community. I don't know if they borrowed enough from the majority of us who just have fun playing in pubs. Base raping just doesn't seem to be as fun as it used to be.

1) Get gear.
2) Infiltrate a maze.
3) Reach goal.
4) Keap goal.

T:V lacks in:
2). There isn't a maze, just a simple entrance that's a few meters to the goal.

3) and you can't maintain the goal for very long. Because T:V is speedy, you get to base, take down goal, and die usually soon after. Plus you have to look for the health pack instead of walking over the corpse which makes it harder to remain healthy.

BTW: I'm not saying that base raping can't be done, I'm just saying it's not as enjoyable as in t1/t2.

The solution to this problem is rather simple, make servers running bots count towards player numbers, that way you always have a nice consistent player to server ratio for people who consider this an indicator whether or not the game is dieing off.

[/sarcasm]

What did you guys expect? They removed half the stuff that made T1 great (never mind even mentioning the few improvements from T2-- and there were some!). TV is totally Tribes lite. It has faster skiing than in T2, but that's it's only plus.

Base Raping is ridiculously easy on most maps, but so is repairing. Instead of actually requiring skill to defend or rape a base (like say on the original RD) now it's just a big spammy clustereff.

Deployable turrets are a pain in the ass to deploy (the system in T1 was way better). At the same time the turrets can take a hit from a MORTAR and still be there, so they're a pain in the ass to destroy. The balance in T1 with easily deployed turrets (spam them at the station), but having them easily destroyed was the best. The new system is a step down from both T1 and even what we had in T2 (at least a single mortar could take them out there).

The packs have been totally dumbed down. The repair pack repairs everything in the frickin' base (there's the too easy to repair thing). The ammo pack is gone. Why? Was that pack soooooo complex that no one could figure out how to use it? The shield pack has been totally dumbed down. No longer do you have to manage your energy. It used to be a skill to turn your shield pack off between incoming HO mortar spam to let it recharge....now that's gone and the pack is just on for five seconds and then gone for 30 seconds. The shield pack is now more useful for a light capper than a heavy D, WTF?!!

Everyone spawns inside the base and because of that owning a base is much more difficult (along with the PoS super repair pack). Everyone spawns inside the base so even if the HoF or LD is killed they can be back into position in about 20 seconds. The extra time running into the base may not be that much, but it does make a difference when it comes to disrupting a team's defense.

Skiing just sucks. Sure, you can ski fast, but it's nothing like in T1. Trying to ski with a heavy is just a chore. Yeah, it's possible, but if you screw up then you either lose all momentum or end up half way across the map from where you wanted to be.

And while I'm on that topic, heavies totally suck. They are weak and easy to kill. The mortars are weak and don't even kill a deployed turret. Instead of dropping a mortar on a turret you have to drop two on it, while moving, while being attacked. It was an incredibly stupid change. In T1 heavies were pretty tough, but with the right skill (mine-disc, etc) you could take them out fairly quickly. In T2 the shocklance more or less replaced mine-discing. In TV there's no quick way to take out heavies, but at the same time they're so weak they just die fast anyway.

Anyway, I could gripe all day, but the problem with TV doesn't have anything to do with maps or the inventory system (which sucks) or even the stupid grapple. It has to do with the fact that everything that was balanced skill/skill (HO/LD+HD, deployer/HO+LO) has now been dumbed down or completely removed. Instead we get a base that's spammed down in 5 seconds and repaired in 5 seconds. We get an HoF who dies in 15 seconds because of the new bullshazbot shield pack, but who is back in position in 15 seconds (much shorter than in any previous Tribes game). The gameplay is just a total joke!

I feel sorry for the devs who wasted so much time working on TV, but the game is an absolute failure at what they set out to accomplish. The game is no easier for a new player to play, but it is far less rewarding for a veteran player. They removed all the depth and left the complexity.

They should have just remade T1, the game would have been a lot more fun and would have been a lot more successful.

Nagorak said:
They should have just remade T1, the game would have been a lot more fun and would have been a lot more successful.

Thrax and co. always spoke vehemently against the idea of recreating Tribes 1 with better graphics like nobody would buy such a game; I would have, but then I’m a sucker for eye candy. The real problem though is no matter how hard they tried to recreate Tribes 1 they would have come up short because you have this huge crowd of people complaining about things like mine disking or how being killed by a turret is no fun, and they would feel obligated to appease this crowd and change it anyway, not to mention all the people that aren’t willing to learn a game as complex as Tribes was – cripes look at T:V and how many people complain because they think it has too high of a learning curve. *sigh*

I wonder if in an alternative universe somewhere there aren’t people right this very moment playing Tribes with better graphics, sucks to be us.

Meh... I woulda been happier with T2 "stuff" and T:V movement. I like the new mechanics, it just feels a bit hollow after a rather short time.

Really waiting for the real demo before I make a judgement call... and even then, I'm more intereted in modding than anything else, I think.

For me it is simple. I enjoy the teamplay value of T2 better than TV.
T2 is simply funner to me.
TV will not be purchased by myself.
Sorry TV people but I think maybe you should have maybe done a little more listening to what people were wanting out of a new tribes fps and not just in the TW community.
Good luck with your launch.

denali said:
Sorry TV people but I think maybe you should have maybe done a little more listening to what people were wanting out of a new tribes fps and not just in the TW community.

Ya, it was definitely "fun" raiding pubs in T2. In T:V its just so hard to find your friend....it seems like you are running around like an individual most of the time... :(

denali said:

They were listening, and faster = better for the mainstream folks (aka: most gamers, and where the $$ is). I like the game and i played T2, so bah. It's fast, it's fun, I don't see a downside exactly. T2 teamwork wasn't that much better except for the transport vehicles and their "forced teamwork". Just because you havn't seen teamwork in T:V doesn't mean it does not exitst.

Suddenly_Dead said:
faster = better for the mainstream folks (aka: most gamers, and where the $$ is).

Ah... I just wanted to pick a nit on this point.

How do you explain the rampent success of Battle Field Vietam, then? It's pacing is LOTS slower than most run and gun games, yet it's hugely popular. It's also funny to see some of the aspects that seem liberated (sorry, "inspired by") T2. Transport helos, indirect artillery spotting, multi-man vehicles in general.

BitRaiser said:
Ah... I just wanted to pick a nit on this point.

How do you explain the rampent success of Battle Field Vietam, then? It's pacing is LOTS slower than most run and gun games, yet it's hugely popular. It's also funny to see some of the aspects that seem liberated (sorry, "inspired by") T2. Transport helos, indirect artillery spotting, multi-man vehicles in general.

Vehicles and Vietnam sell BF:V. That and the weapons are faster travelling than those in Tribes games. Some of these things make the game seem faster for newbies who don't get Tribes at all.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I feel there is a large chunk of the causual market that doesn't play FPS because they feel they are too fast already. The 12 year old twitch-kiddy market is tapped out. The biggest fluid market base is the 23 to 37 year old professionals that have more money to burn, but not the reflexes to attract them to games. I was at a lecture on the subject recently. They presented some very compelling stuff.

I would actually go out on a limb and say that box art has had a big impact on past Tribes games. A few years back I was working in a retail consumer ellectronic shop for the criminally un-informed (ok, you guessed it... it WAS RadioSack :p ) and got to watch and listen to people encountering Tribes on the shelf. "This looks stupid" was often uttered by the knuckle-draggers. I once even saw someone forgo a copy of T1 in favor of Beachhead 2000!!! ACK!! All because the POS Beachhead game had cooler art on the front.

SO... basicly I'm just saying there's more factors at would than you would expect.

Yes, I know. Vehicles, Vietnam, and typical weapons are three that I mentioned there. I don't think speed is everything, no, and I do think that T:V needs a nice box to draw in really casual folks.

:bigthumb:

Wanna sell a heap of copies? Here's a box art consept to move things along (way too late, I know, but this is just fer fun or I'd be charging for it!).

Front:
Black field.
TRIBES in big embossed block letters, metalic shading with blue/yellow highlights.
Vengeance scralled in a deep red bloody graffity style.
High res render of Julia's eyes in a strip just below that.

Back:
Screen shots of random stuff going boom, terain pics, close ups of the cooler armour designs (Blood Eagle), and weapons. Minimalist text exponding on action, gametypes, inovative weapons, blah, blah (but no third blah!!).

Done.

I guaranty there would be a sales increase.

Back