T:V loosing interest? Player count drops rapidly.

Origim

Veteran X
When the beta started, there were some 1300 people playing. The number gradually dropped until yestrday's 700 people at EST peak hours. Today it still holds at 700, but it's weekend.

What is going on?

And a lot of people don't like Tribes, these people include halo fanboys, ut fanboys, bf fanboys, and ps2 fanboys (the worst of them all).

It's sad but true.

DOX said:
plz bf1942 demo had '1' map and servers where packed for ages till retail.

The man has a point...... :(

I think it all has to do with the shazbothouse maps we have atm, but i guess i'll have to wait and see... :)

T:V will never come close to CS or BF1942 numbers. You guys need to get it in your heads now. Look at the FPS games with most players online. Notice a trend? CTF and DM type games are old school and will hover around the 3000-5000 online mark.

Tribes is still CTF and a niche thing at that. Maybe if SS2845 was included there'd be bigger numbers but they wouldn't be there to play Tribes as you love it.

Another trend is the most popular games run on relatively crap systems, easy to pickup and learn and get good at. Two of the most popular games are free (america's army and enemy territory) and most of the top online games are WWII FPS games.

i think its the pubs

they are usually (there are exceptions) one sided ass kickings. If you are on the owned side you tire of it, if you are on the ass kicking side you get bored.

Now the 4 maps definately add to the mix

then there are the constant stand-offs....

Now I remember asking why competition was being started during beta and I was flamed alot saying that "everybody wants it"

a couple of matches a week shows how much....huh....

MasterGnr said:
i think its the pubs

they are usually (there are exceptions) one sided ass kickings. If you are on the owned side you tire of it, if you are on the ass kicking side you get bored.

I think we should all just admit that they oversimplified the game so much that there really doesn't seem to be any long-term draw to the game. They made the #1 mistake that all dev teams make and tried to cater to the newbies instead of just making a fun game. I mean, there were plenty of one-sided ass kickings in T1 on pubs, and I still pubbed for hours on end, mainly because the game felt so fluid and it was totally fun just moving around in T1. This really doesn't feel like a tribes game it feels like a DM game with flags thrown in.

I know they say that the physics are totally perfect, but they aren't. At times it can feel very tedious to move around, and I think that's the difference between this game and T1, which I consider the ideal of what Tribes should be. In T1 I could spend a ton of time on an empty server just practicing routes, if I were to do the same in T:V I would go insane because it seems more like work than play.

I think DOX has a point with his bf1492 example as well...

I don't think tribes will be as popular as CS cause the general gaming population is stupid.

I don't think the average CS player (12 year old OMG WTF HACKER) can handle tribes. No, they need a game where they are either walking or shooting, not both at the same time and where the majority of skill lies in how fast and accurate you can point and click.

Introducing them to jet packs would probably make them piss their pants in fear, running back to CS crying, "This game sucks"

To be honest, I like it this way. I find less annoying little shazbots on tribes than CS. Makes the game feel more special I guess.

MasterGnr said:
i think its the pubs

[Khorne]Johnny X said:
I think we should all just admit that they oversimplified the game so much that there really doesn't seem to be any long-term draw to the game. They made the #1 mistake that all dev teams make and tried to cater to the newbies instead of just making a fun game. I mean, there were plenty of one-sided ass kickings in T1 on pubs, and I still

yes & no to both I think...I've been in pubs that were total blow outs & the next map were tight good games...depends on how the teams shake up

I think the learning curve is MUCH "shallower" than T2 was (T2 had a "learning vertical face" not a curve)...but I'm not sure its over simplified.....just much simpler

Back