[HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin

Tried getting TV up and running with UCC(with no CD in the drive), which is how 99.99% of all Unreal Engine games work, and no go. I took my UT2k4 server.bat file, which I've been using since UT 1, and made the necessary changes, which is the following:

ucc server MP-Arid?game=GameClasses.ModeCTF?GameStats=False?MaxPlayers=20?AdminName=aaaaa?AdminPassword=aaaaa ini=TV_Server.ini -log=TV_Server_log.log

Now, when I start the server, the following comes up:

ULinkerLoad::preload PreLoadObjects UObject::EndLoad UObject::LoadPackage UGameEngine::Init UServerCommandlet::Main Can't bind to native class IGVisualEffectsSubsystem.VisualEffectsSubsystem

History: UClass::Bind [(Class IGVisualEffectsSubsystem.VisualEffectsSubsystem)] <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport [(VisualEffectsSubsystem 44633)] <- ULinkerLoad::Cr eate <- UObject::StaticLoadObject [(Core.Class IGVisualEffectsSubsystem.VisualEf fectsSubsystem NULL)] <- UObjectProperty::ImportText [(ClassProperty IGEffectsSy stem.EffectsSystem.EffectsSubsystem.EffectsSubsystem)] <- UClassProperty::Import Text <- UObject::LoadConfig [(EffectsSystem None)] <- UClass::Serialize [(Class IGEffectsSystem.EffectsSystem)] <- LoadObject [(Class IGEffectsSystem.EffectsSys tem 6470==6470/66393 6052 418)] <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UOb ject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UGameEngine::Init <- UServerCommandlet: :Main

Exiting due to error Exiting. Waiting for file streaming thread to finish... Name subsystem shut down

Any ideas? Can I use UCC to start the server? What does the above error mean?

We really need a way to launch a dedicated server with NO CD in the drive. And with the weekend pretty much here, I would like to play online, on my dedicated server which is the only machine sitting on a T1 at the moment.

/Riddick

My thoughts exactly. UCC *SHOULD* work for the dedidated server, not too sure why it's not working. I even tried by putting the CD in the drive and the UCC line *still* doesn't work.

Has anyone had *any* luck getting UCC to work as a dedicated server (the way it should be working), or any other route to get a dedicated server up and running *without* the CD in the drive?

IMO, bad move to break the use of UCC as dedicated server, that is if it's broken. :)

/Riddick

Here is an updated batch file to run your BETA dedicated server.

@ECHO OFF
CLS

REM author: Dr. Chmod
REM web: www.5assedmonkey.com
REM email: drchmod@5assedmonkey.com
REM created: 2004/10/08
REM verion: 1.3

REM ------------EDIT BELOW TO FIT NEEDS------------------------------

REM name of your server .ini config file
SET config=Beta_Dedicated_Server.ini

REM max amount of players allowed on your server
SET maxplayers=16

REM port you want to run your server on
SET port=7777

REM IP address you want this game instance on
SET ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

REM name of your server log file
SET log=Beta_Dedicated_Server.log

REM name of your backup log if your server crashes
SET crashlog=Beta_Dedicated_Server_crash.log

REM directory to put your crash logs, set to '.' if you want them in the main tribesv directory
SET crashlogdir=crashlogs\

REM username of your web administrator interface
SET username=Admin

REM password for the web administrator interface
SET password=XXXXXXX

REM ---------------DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE------------------------

ECHO.
ECHO ---------------------------------------------------
ECHO \/ Status \/ Time \/ Date \/
ECHO ---------------------------------------------------
ECHO Server Started %time:~0,5% %date:~4%
ECHO.

:SERVERLOOP

Beta_Dedicated_Server.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=%maxplayers%?AdminName=%username%?AdminPassword=%password% -server ini=%config% log=%log% port=%port% multihome=%ip%

ECHO Server Restarted %time:~0,5% %date:~4%
ECHO.

IF NOT EXIST %crashlogdir% MKDIR %crashlogdir%

REN %log% %date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%date:~12%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%_%crashlog%
MOVE %date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%date:~12%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%_%crashlog% %crashlogdir%

GOTO SERVERLOOP

:END

Last edited:
Very cool batch file DrChmod... Beats the 6 lines that I have that work. Thanx for sharing.

/Riddick

now that the dedicated server is out, how do you host a LAN only server? I'm hosting a LAN party this weekend and I would like to host a dedicated LAN server that does not need to be listed on the master servers. All it has to do is show up in the LAN servers location. I am tooling around with the server options now and the different commands, but every time I put up a server, it shows up on the master list even if I turn the command:

bAdvertise=False

And it doesn’t show in the LAN Servers Only area. I'm looking for the commands to do this. Any help?

With the release of the dedicated server BETA, what is the file UCC.EXE for? is this just left over from the Unreal Engine, or is it used in some capacity for the dedicated server?

/Riddick

Riddick said:
With the release of the dedicated server BETA, what is the file UCC.EXE for? is this just left over from the Unreal Engine, or is it used in some capacity for the dedicated server?

/Riddick

leftovers... in fact, i'm finding there is a lot of garbage left over from UT2K4 that doesn't work... i am however, too chicken to delete it right now... maybe i'll play around with some of this stuff in the near future

If it's left over, and not need, it seems like pretty sloppy programming to leave stuff lying around from the engine who you licensed. One would think that leftover code (that is not used) would be removed from the final build before being sent off to be duplicated.

Oh well... finding many things that impressed me in the demo has disappointed me in the final. so far seems like a waste of cash.

Thanx VUG.

/Riddick

Question: is there a configuration option that will kick idle players? IE, if someone goes idle for say, 5 minutes, can the server automatically kick them?

With the amount of processor that TV uses, having a few idle players on a 20 person server can be kind of annoying.

no, that would be useful, therefor not part of the server package. Wait until they release the dev tools and some of us rebuild zadmin or another admin mod that actually works and is useful

changed my listenport to 8081

i hava a smc corporate gateway. localhost login works fine. if i try to login on my other machines, or my teammates try, they use 'http://xxx.xx.xx.x:8081 and it bombs

Njal Storm said:
changed my listenport to 8081

i hava a smc corporate gateway. localhost login works fine. if i try to login on my other machines, or my teammates try, they use 'http://xxx.xx.xx.x:8081 and it bombs

I had a similar problem, although mine wouldnt even login localhost. I entered in my hosts file the server short name and ip and voila , it worked.

Also try accessing http://255.255.255.255:8081/serveradmin/ , for some reason that worked as well.

Doesnt the host mode in demo have option to start dedicated server or is this buggy .
Pred

Back