[News] T:V News on GameSpot!

Ugh...amazing how words can get mangled.

Some quickies:
1) Sniper rifle is currently not hitscan, but it might be in the future. It's currently almost hitscan (extremely fast projectile).

2) You can use the sniper rifle with any pack. Actually there are no pack restrictions for any weapon.

3) You don't charge the sniper rifle. You just fire it.

4) As Marweas pointed out, every pack has an active and passive effect. This is huge and should've been emphasized.

5) The active effect of the energy pack is more of a nice little bonus boost. It doesn't replace disc jumping and has limited effectiveness at higher speeds. Most interestingly the impulse is in the direction in which you're facing. You can face downward.

6) Packs have their own energy supply. This is also huge and was utterly mangled. It warrants a much more thoughtful description and lots of discussion,
KP

nm, KP answered the question.

BTW, I was dumbstruck by the info the preview left out. OTOH, it's a nice reminder that not everybody speaks Tribes fluently, and we need to go to great lengths to get them to understand what the hell we're talking about, let alone the significance of it.

Void|deadjawa said:
It would be pretty badass if it did a little bit of damage with no energy so the laser rifle could be used as a chaingun type of weapon in a pinch. The fact that it didnt have this versatility in T1 and T2 made it not end up in some of my LD loadouts.
RoF will be a bitch in low power mode... it's not going to be a chaingun replacement, I can see that already... but if you're decent with it and have a nice long view of em, I can see someone getting shredded with lowpower shots...

Gamespot has the worst write ups ever. I stopped reading right after I came to this sentence:

"In fact, firing the sniper rifle will leave behind a very visible trail that will reveal your location, similar to the lightning gun in Unreal Tournament 2003"

Has this person even played Tribes? If he's getting paid to write articles about games, the least he can do is be familiar with the series.

Ed Orman said:
... and it uses up whatever energy you have. So the more energy in the shot, the more damage it does.

So exactly the same way T1 and T2 work now except that it uses a projectile.

VaporTrail said:
RoF will be a bitch in low power mode... it's not going to be a chaingun replacement, I can see that already... but if you're decent with it and have a nice long view of em, I can see someone getting shredded with lowpower shots...
as always its a matter of balance.

Of course it should be made worse than the chaingun, and it already has a lower ammo capacity.

Thanks Ed and KP, you allievated all my fears. I, as a sniper, personally hate camping more than anyone. I "run and gun" with my sniper rifle, and I'm glad I won't have to charge before firing.

Piata, he's not writing for just the guys that are familiar with the series... he's writing for lots of people who've never tried the series... the example was from another popular FPS for a reason...

At least that's my rationalization of it...

KineticPoet said:
Ugh...amazing how words can get mangled.

Some quickies:
1) Sniper rifle is currently not hitscan, but it might be in the future. It's currently almost hitscan (extremely fast projectile).
hmm so its fundamentally the same tribes sniper rifle we know and love its just changed. im mainly asking if its 'feel' is the same. i dont care if its hit scan or not just as long as its relative to the t1/t2 rifles.
2) You can use the sniper rifle with any pack. Actually there are no pack restrictions for any weapon.
im pressuming there are still class armor limits aka mortar?
3) You don't charge the sniper rifle. You just fire it.
can you talki more about this if you dont mind? gamespot made it sound like there is a normal fire that does 'x' damage and charged up fire that does 'X' damage. if they are wrong could you more clearly explain it?
4) As Marweas pointed out, every pack has an active and passive effect. This is huge and should've been emphasized.
sounds huge, hopefully this will make things like the jammer useful ... or maybe thats another packs active state? :D
5) The active effect of the energy pack is more of a nice little bonus boost. It doesn't replace disc jumping and has limited effectiveness at higher speeds. Most interestingly the impulse is in the direction in which you're facing. You can face downward.
thats seccsi
6) Packs have their own energy supply. This is also huge and was utterly mangled. It warrants a much more thoughtful description and lots of discussion,
KP
<obiwan>curious ...</obiwan>

if you dont have the time to clarify no biggy im sure ill find out at some point. its just the sniper rifle is near and dear to my heart .. im a pussy sniper what can i say.

An idea. How about adjustable power levels for the rifle? Say through an option you can decide to have your rifle use all availible energy, or only energy to a certain point (40%, 50%, etc) and if you have less than that amount it will use all remaining energy. This would add another dynamic and allow the rifle to be a more usable weapon while moving, and adding variety to the damage and effectiveness on a per-person basis.

KineticPoet said:

Can we get a straight list/descriptions of each pack? Seems like all we have heard about is the energy and repair pack. And I sure as hell know those aren't the only 2 packs in the game.

triple said:
Can we get a straight list/descriptions of each pack? Seems like all we have heard about is the energy and repair pack. And I sure as hell know those aren't the only 2 packs in the game.

Staggered release of information.

Ed Orman said:
... and it uses up whatever energy you have. So the more energy in the shot, the more damage it does.
... i ... hmm ... interesting. a light e packed sniper will be pretty evil then.

let me see if i get this straight in theory i could snipe you, then instantly drain my energypack for the direction changing boost for a quick direction change/get away?

heh yeah that will get nerfed quick :D

Back