[News] T:V News on GameSpot!

Marweas said:
The sniper rifle uses both bullets and energy. No more camping out indefinitely.

So does that mean that the energy you charge into the shot determines the speed/distance it travels, and the damage is always constant? Is the bullet a ballistic projectile after the beam wears out?

Void|deadjawa said:
another thing to note:

The Laser Rifle no longer requires an energy pack. The soldier in the screenshot has a repair pack on.

made this comment in the origional post :)

I guess it makes sense since snipers now don't have an infinite ammo supply.

Well, if you think about it...it never really made sense that the laser rifle required an energy pack. If you cant wear the energy pack, your refire rate is crippled because of the slower energy recharge. So it really still would have been balanced.

The theory as Thrax explained to me is that the energy superheats the air to allow the projectile to move faster and do more damage on impact. The more energy available for the shot, the more damage. I could have the explanation all borked, but the outcome is correct.

No doubt vaportrail. It just opens new potential strategies/compromises up for players. I like balance changes like this. I say make the game as wide open as possible and let the individual's play style dictate what pack he/she wants to use.

Am I right in assuming that the sniper rifle takes ammo now, and it takes a while to charge up "holding down the fire key",instead of just being able to pop off a quick fully powered shot if your energy is high?

If thats the case, then is it possible to use the sniper rifle in conjunction with packs other than the energy pack?

Because if those three things are the case; ammo, charge up time, versatility with other packs.... then that is just baddass.

I like this. I like this alot.

You might have screwed up on the pack drawing energy from a different pool though.. that was a good balancing feature. Should have left it in. For example, shield whores couldn't jet, etc.

VaporTrail said:
hitscan: insta-hit. trajectory and flight is not calculated, the weapon is non-dodgeable. As soon as the trigger is pulled, the hit is registered and the damage calculated.

This is the definition of hitscan I am used to...

How was the laser rifle not hitscan in either of the previous games? Last I checked there was no travel time on the laser rifle's shot... it was the only instant hit weapon in the game.

It was ALMOST instant hit. Notice how you had to lead on fast moving targets? Hitscan would mean that all I had to do was hold the reticle on you and click the button and it would hit. No leading involved. Sniper rifles were NOT (that is N-O-T) hitscan in T1 or T2.

Marweas said:
The theory as Thrax explained to me is that the energy superheats the air to allow the projectile to move faster and do more damage on impact. The more energy available for the shot, the more damage. I could have the explanation all borked, but the outcome is correct.
alex can you confirm the hitscan thing? it would be stupid to not do hit scan on a precision weapon.

it sounds like its still hit scan but there is now a charging element to it. which IMO is cool.

ooooh another question, if i dont 'charge' up a shot does it use ammo only? meaning if im tearing ass across the field chasing a capper can i fire my rifle from the hip rail gun style and not blow me E?

Marweas: yeah you have the theroy pretty much down from what I can tell. Basically imagine the "carrier" beam as a straightline lightning bolt... it superheats the air, causing it to jump madly out of the way (really just move at a higher velocity, decreasing the local pressure in the path (a high enough energy beam will create a near vacuum, hence thunder, the sound of the air closing back in from a lighting strike). If timed right a bullet fired through this path would find a LOT less friction. The design also incorporates (weather intended or not) a bone to gravity... the carrier beam will be wide enough vertically to account for any bullet drop over distance...

Colosus said:
It was ALMOST instant hit. Notice how you had to lead on fast moving targets? Hitscan would mean that all I had to do was hold the reticle on you and click the button and it would hit. No leading involved. Sniper rifles were NOT (that is N-O-T) hitscan in T1 or T2.
yes they were colosus, the reason you had to lead was network latency. all hit scan weapons require a certain amount of lead ever since the rail gun :p.

hrm. you know what would rock? like, if you charge it, it has a heat trail or tracer of some kind, and if you don't, it does much less damage and travels shorter, but isn't traceable other than muzzle flash etc :eek:

MaD_ReBeL said:
ooooh another question, if i dont 'charge' up a shot does it use ammo only? meaning if im tearing ass across the field chasing a capper can i fire my rifle from the hip rail gun style and not blow me E?
It would be pretty badass if it did a little bit of damage with no energy so the laser rifle could be used as a chaingun type of weapon in a pinch. The fact that it didnt have this versatility in T1 and T2 made it not end up in some of my LD loadouts.

Colosus said:

yea, you had to lead, but I was always under the impression that was because of ping, not the lack of it being hitscan..

Since none of you morons will believe me, maybe you'll believe Thrax...

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4570331#post4570331

Thrax Panda said:
If you dig into the code you'll see that it's actually just very very fast, and not truely instant, which would make it hitscan. In the true sense of the word, hitscan determines if it's a hit at the firing time, and not on the server. The client just sends the "I'd hit it" message to the server and the server verifies that it's not a spurious command (very light cheat protection) and then takes the damage. This makes auto aim very possible, because you just need to send the message every time you're able to fire and your cross hairs touch the enemy. T1 has no true hitscan weapons, and (ZOD or somebody will correct me here if I'm wrong) I don't believe that T2 has any true hitscan weapons either.

Colosus: Thought that was just ping to server. You'd fire at where the guy would be a couple hundredths of a second from when you fired, by the time it got to the server and said, "I fired this way" the guy had moved into the path of your shot...

Maybe just me.

Edit: it was just me... Pwned by der Panda...

Last edited:
Back