[T:V] The Shocklance's Replacement

Tribes 1 fire-speed and damage-power plasma rifle would be my vote for the shocklances replacement.
With it, you could sneak up on a light and kill them with two shots before they could even react. Being a Defend and Destroy crazed player, I carried it in place of a chaingun in some loadouts.

Avox said:
This movie (nicely put together, great disk shots) shows exactly why the shocklance has been removed from the tribes series, too bad he didnt add 5 minutes of shrike ramming to show the rest of the things in T2 that I suck cock at.

Fixed.

Yeah, the lance and rifle were my two favorite weapons from T2. And then the shrike.
I guess I'll deal with the loss of the lance, but it makes me sad.

IMO the worst thing that the lance causes is Newbs to thinks it is super useful and carry it in All D Loadouts. Nothing makes me more satisfied as a HO as when i own an Enemy MPB/HOF.. listening to the cracking sound of an SL repeatedly Missing me from behind- cuz some Newb who could of MineDisced me 4 times already.

To argue that as a hitscan weapon it is too powerful.. yet to ridicule the 90% of people who use it and arent good enough to be effective with it seems like an oxy moron to me.

On most maps- in most players Hands- its a waste of a wepon slot in T2- that generally helps the Opposing teams Offense.

In the hands of the few people I can think of who have become Excptional At it (hitting 80% + ) it is a Deadly weapon. How is that overpowered. Frustrating Yes.. but overpowered. How many people play on a team with a Sniper who can hit 75-80% +. Everyone in the top 10 Im sure. If you want to ditch the wepon because you don't like it- thats 1 thing.. but trying to say its Too easy to use/ Too Newbish/ Useless just is making up reasons.

I dont care if they take it out.. but the only real Complaint about the SL to me in t2- is the fact that DT isnt on every server.. meaning the time you do run into that 1 guy who can hit it 90% - you end up wondering if its HM2 or plain Skill. That to me is frustrating.

p.s. - I like the short range shotgun idea- but im really more curious to see what the Dev team is considering.

It's overpowered b/c it has one hit kill. A long range MA is much harder to pull off and you don't gain any benifits from a shot like that, so why should you with a hokey back hit? I enjoyed the lance's stopping power, but it's overshadowed by its one hit kill feature. Even a mine disc doesn't take out a full health heavy in one shot, I don't see why a naked light who picked up a lance should be able to.

Because you have a lot of HO to kill sometimes. Back in base, when the mine-disc didn't exist, you had to take the extra time to kill each HO. I guess that is a bit of a moot point in classic, but still.

So I got confused and had no point.

Dude, a well aimed mortar is a one hit kill. Its all about the drawbacks. If your a heavy you're slow and can't jet for shit. If your a light with a SL, you've gotta be dead close. And don't even try to tell me that the cloak pack gives an unfair advantage, anyone with a semi-decent speaker system can hear a cloaker a mile away.

Like people have said before, very few people can use the SL effectively, and those that do risk getting killed everytime they try a SL kill. SLing is a tricky trade, and it takes a certain level of skill to use properly. A level of skill that frankly most people do not posess. Overpowered? I think not.

A mortar can not kill a heavy in one hit I'm afraid. Shock Lance is not a risky weapon -- there is no lose of energy or ammo. It's not HARD to be somewhat good at, and it'd very prone to cheats.

Finally, it's not fun in any manner to be 1 kit killed by a shocklance.

Mindflayr said:
If you want to ditch the wepon because you don't like it- thats 1 thing.. but trying to say its Too easy to use/ Too Newbish/ Useless just is making up reasons.
This is, as I think I've said before, my reason for pulling it. I have a complete and utter hatred of the weapon and can't stand the thought of it being in a game I produce. I said that it must go, and so it is gone. I don't really care if anybody agrees with me on this particular point, it's gone anyway. There are only two things in the game that suffered this fate, the lance, and the bioderms. There are other things which I dislike that have remained in the game and some that are gone because the designers decided they didn't belong, but these two are entirely my kills.
:soapbox:

Thrax Panda said:
This is, as I think I've said before, my reason for pulling it. I have a complete and utter hatred of the weapon and can't stand the thought of it being in a game I produce. I said that it must go, and so it is gone. I don't really care if anybody agrees with me on this particular point, it's gone anyway. There are only two things in the game that suffered this fate, the lance, and the bioderms. There are other things which I dislike that have remained in the game and some that are gone because the designers decided they didn't belong, but these two are entirely my kills.

ML too!

Shinigami said:
No, I didn't pull the ML because of any personal angst. I pulled it because it has issues. It was totally logical to pull the ML, and I thought about it a lot before making that decision. On the other hand, I don't care about the other two at all. I just didn't want them in. No reason needed.

Thrax Panda said:

Elf?

Back