[ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.

Hey, don't blame me for the Alienware's overheating problems that caused half of what was probably the service tag to become a blackened and unreadable piece of paper.

From your massive (and quite literal) screenshot:

2ugmcf8.jpg

ATA ST9500420ASG is a Seagate Momentus 7200RPM hard drive.

:google:

I didn't think they did, but not once today have I seen the name Seagate.

Also this requires yet another USB key so wtf am I supposed to do. One of my usb keys is Ubuntu and the other is the Vista install, and I kind of need both of those

ed- ATA ST9500420ASG? Fuck, and it was so obvious!

Alright, well this is apparently going to take 40 minutes to download and I have to locate a third USB key and a drink or five. We'll reconvene shortly.

btw I'll have a case of beer delivered to wherever you guys are meeting next at some LAN or ski trip or whatever it is you do in America all the time when this is all over.

While you're downloading, here's your checklist for the next 2 hours.

1. Figure out WTF is going on with your RAID controller, if you actually have one, and how you're going to get controller drivers in a place that the Vista installer can see them.

2. Forget about playing with partitions and formatting in Ubuntu. When you can see a/the drive in the Vista installer, just start deleting partitions. Delete them all. Vista will recreate them as needed, in a way that ensures the greatest level of compatibility with Vista. If you ever have to pick a format while you're doing this, choose NTFS.

When you accomplish those 2 you'll be in a much better place.

Have fun finding all your drivers.

While you're downloading, here's your checklist for the next 2 hours.

1. Figure out WTF is going on with your RAID controller, if you actually have one, and how you're going to get controller drivers in a place that the Vista installer can see them.

2. Forget about playing with partitions and formatting in Ubuntu. When you can see a/the drive in the Vista installer, just start deleting partitions. Delete them all. Vista will recreate them as needed, in a way that ensures the greatest level of compatibility with Vista. If you ever have to pick a format while you're doing this, choose NTFS.

When you accomplish those 2 you'll be in a much better place.

Have fun finding all your drivers.

1. Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish this. jonb managed to find what looked like a decent driver but it's only available as an .exe file and I can't unpack it without it first being compatible with the requisite operating system, the one of course that I'm trying to install.

2. I've done this. Using ATA and ATCI or whatever, I was able to see the partitions and delete the shit out of them and reformat. Didn't seem to help. Also, I don't even know if it was actually re-partitioning properly because Ubuntu wasn't even able to pick up the new "Vista installed" partitions.

Fuck I don't know how you guys can work with computers on a daily basis. This thing has frustrated me more than most women ever could.

holy fucking ffffffffuuuuuuuuuu batman

so I went through the whole process and made the Seagate Diskwhatever bootable

I boot it up on my computer only to have it tell me, ERROR

TO USE THIS PROGRAM YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE SEAGATE PRODUCT INSTALLED ON YOUR SYSTEM\

then it turns off teh compuer
a\
fafaf
pasdj
fjafo
jasfjasf

Back