say im poor as shit, but i want to batch cook something relativly healthy

Go to costco or BJ's...I'm sure one of your friends moms has a membership.

Buy:
Onions
Potatoes
Celery
Carrots
2 chickens (about $8 for two big chickens)

Total cost: $15 or so, maybe $20.

You'll need olive oil, salt, pepper, and a lemon or two as well...olive oil will cost you $10-15, but will last a month or so.

Rinse chickens in water, then pat dry and rub the outside and under the skin with olive oil and dust the whole bird with salt and pepper. Drizzle with juice from a fresh lemon and then put the lemon inside the bird. Put in a giant roasting pan, with about 1/2" water on the bottom of the pan. Put in oven on 475 for 25 mins, then reduce the heat to 350 and add into the pan the veggies and potatoes. Cook for another hour or until insta-read thermometer is at 160-165 at the deepest point of the thigh.

Remove from oven, eat.
Healthy and this will give you enough food for a week of dinners and a few lunches.

Last edited:
and for further criticism, if you're eating chicken for a week, you're gonna be eating some pretty serious bacteria on the last couple days

that doesnt look cheap or easy

Putting a bunch of shit in a pan and roasting it is too difficult? $20 for a week of dinners is too much? What are you 15 years old?

Also, you can safely re-heat leftovers for 5 days without worrying about bacteria if you're re-heating above 145 degrees.

for breakfast get a dozen eggs, like 4-5 bucks. and one of those big quaker oats things, they'll last you a looong time

in college i almost always had either two fried eggs or a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast

Do you have access to a sam's club? (And a decent sized freezer?)

Get a family-sized chicken breast/thighs package,
and a few of the bags of frozen vegetables. They sell them in 5 lb bags, green beans, peas, corn, mixed vegs for $5-6 each.

You can pretty much feed a single person for a month on $30.

Also, you can safely re-heat leftovers for 5 days without worrying about bacteria if you're re-heating above 145 degrees.
Best to re-heat left overs in a pan on the stove. Microwave gives it a left over fridge taste.

Rice, Pasta, and Potatoes are the bulk items. Add veggies, meat and you've got left overs for a couple days.

maynoaise, mustard, 12 pack of eggs, canned tuna, canned chickenm, celery, and whatever else you want to put in there.

make egg/tuna/chicken salad sandwhiches.

I see a lot of dinners here and some lunches, do people just not eat breakfast or something? An apple and some milk is not enough to get me through the day.

Does living on $20 a week = eating once a day or something...?

i think that depends on how well you keep them, and what you're keeping.

if you keep them from getting freezer burned, i would think a long long time.

if the shit is just in a zip lock bag it'll be freezer burned in a few days and worthless. wont hurt you but you'll hate eating it.

I see a lot of dinners here and some lunches, do people just not eat breakfast or something? An apple and some milk is not enough to get me through the day.

I eat a full breakfast every day. I generally have one of two things:

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, 1 cup spinach, apple

Meal 2: 1 cup oatmeal with agave nectar, cinnamon, fresh walnuts, banana

I'd say I have meal 1 four days per week, meal 2 the other 3 days.

Lunches are generally leftovers on a bed of greens (spinach, arugula, etc)

I should note that I spend around $80 / week on groceries (live by myself). I buy local from a farmers market.

My typical week of shopping:
1 chicken
1 lb bacon
2 dozen eggs
1/2 gallon milk
1 piece of fish
1 lb walnuts
oatmeal
apples
bananas
clementines
pears
beets
sweet potatoes
2 bags of spinach
misc. vegetables
celery/onions/garlic - every other week
olive oil - 1 / month

Last edited:
i only eat breakfeast after a night of drinking when iw ake up at 11 .

i can barely shower, get dressed, and drive to work on time - much less make and eat a real breakfeast.

well i got breakfast covered. silce of bread, oatmeal, 2 egg whites. thats good enough for me. i can and do eat the same breakfast everyday. (though in previous times there would also be some turkey bacon or soy sausages in there).

good shit keeps coming in. for the record, i split a normal sized fridge 3 ways, not a lot of space. also, in nyc there is no costco/sams club/alids near by. they are finally building a kind of small costco up in harlem, so we'll see.

i'm not against cooking a chicken for a week, though the concern about re-heating properly piques my attention. i never actually knew that.

PS: anyone have any verdict on whether you can get mercury poisoning from eating too much canned tuna, or is it only sushi. i just bought 7 cans :\

Here is one of my favorite ways to EAT FOR FREE:

Go to any mall in your area. Circle the food court like a vulture, and get those free samples. This also works in some grocery stores where they have free samples, like Sam's/Costco. Just keep circling til you are full. The person giving them out doesn't care. You have also get the benefit of walking maybe four miles, so you got some good excercise too. ^_^

Back