1up T:V preview

Based one the conference footage that was released, I tend to agree with his take on it. There wasn't a whole lot of outdoor skiing shown, save for the city map, but he was obviously impressed with the indoor movements.

Rabid Poop said:
this is the stuff i was talking about in my thread

outside of the tribes community, people have no idea what tribes is about.

You don't need to worry about that. The Dev team knows what they want the game to be. They are not going to suddenly change the direction the game is headed simply because of Open Beta.

Sojourn said:
You don't need to worry about that. The Dev team knows what they want the game to be. They are not going to suddenly change the direction the game is headed simply because of Open Beta.

Hopefully, but I want this game to be great not only for tribes players, but for it to succeed as well.

Rabid Poop said:
Hopefully, but I want this game to be great not only for tribes players, but for it to succeed as well.

So do I. But this is a game that really can't be compared to other games. People will come in not understanding the game completely, and that's where their hopes to ease new players into it really come into play. I think the idea for the Developers is to let the new players settle in to the game.. not to let the game settle in to new players.

Fast gameplay. Smaller maps. Less time for a player to get to the action. Encouraging engagements at closer range. Toned down turrets vs. T2 (extrapolating a bit from comments on that one). Yes, I think T:V will reward twitch more than T2 or possibly even T1. I'm not saying there will be zero non-twitch roles, I don't know. I'm saying the tendency is toward twitch as compared to T2 and even T1 as far as I can tell.

Rabid Poop said:

Yeah, because if it doesnt succeed outside the comunity. kiss your chances of Tribes 4 goodbye

No, Tribes IS about the twitch. If you want to play 30 players per side you're better off going to Planetside imho.

Shoddy said:
Fast gameplay. Smaller maps. Less time for a player to get to the action. Encouraging engagements at closer range. Toned down turrets vs. T2 (extrapolating a bit from comments on that one). Yes, I think T:V will reward twitch more than T2 or possibly even T1. I'm not saying there will be zero non-twitch roles, I don't know. I'm saying the tendency is toward twitch as compared to T2 and even T1 as far as I can tell.

Give me a fucking break. You have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sorry. Did you even play T1?

T:V will not be twitch. T1 was not twitch and it had barely usable vehicles, was just as in your face as T:V could very well be, and had toned down turrets. T:V, in fact, will have vehicles, imagine that. Have you even read about the weapons? And you're saying that this is leaning towards twitch? You're out of your mind.

Shoddy said:
Holy shit if you consider T1 to be "Twitch" then what the fuck do you think about CS?

Never played CS. Haven't played much online outside of Tribes/T2.

Perhaps I'm using the word twitch wrong. What I mean by rewarding twitch is rewarding the ability to very quickly and very accurately hit moving targets with your weapons.

In T2, playing Death Birds Fly with 30 guys on a side in a server like Houston Vehicles, if you want to spend the whole game repairing stuff or deploying or ferrying people on transports, you can do that and feel like you are helping the team. In T:V playing on a map designed for 7-10 per side, I think there's going to be a lot less room for that.

Going way out on a limb, I sort of get the impression that the pacifist capper setting up 500m out might be a thing of the past as well.

Shoddy said:
Never played CS. Haven't played much online outside of Tribes/T2.

Perhaps I'm using the word twitch wrong. What I mean by rewarding twitch is rewarding the ability to very quickly and very accurately hit moving targets with your weapons.

In T2, playing Death Birds Fly with 30 guys on a side in a server like Houston Vehicles, if you want to spend the whole game repairing stuff or deploying or ferrying people on transports, you can do that and feel like you are helping the team. In T:V playing on a map designed for 7-10 per side, I think there's going to be a lot less room for that.

Going way out on a limb, I sort of get the impression that the pacifist capper setting up 500m out might be a thing of the past as well.
Yeah, you're sort of using the wrong word. And the capper setting up 500m OOB has been a thing of the past for 2 years now.

The word twitch is more appropriately used when you run around a corner, see someone off to your side, and just snap off a shot. That's a twitch shot. What you're describing is Tribes, at the upper levels, where speed rules. That's the way T:V should be. I'm sorry if you don't agree with that, but it was one of the things that made Tribes what it is. It was very much like a sport to many people. Speed, in-game intelligence, on the fly adaptation.. that's Tribes. That's why it was such a great game, and why so many players were disappointed in T2.

Back