1up T:V preview

Yes, though not at your level. And you would not even conceive of filling up an HPC except as a joke.

I'm trying to describe where I think The Reverend is coming from. I think he's played a bunch on the big T2 pubs out there and really digs a good bombing run. I think from his perspective, lots of players, lots of vehicles, big maps with big turret fields, and above all lots of diverse things he can do to help his team, that's the uniqueness of Tribes. Or as near as I can gather.

That's the uniqueness of Tribes 2. Not of Tribes. :/ That's where so many disagreements seem to come from.

You have 2 groups of people.

One group looks at Tribes and see's something like a sport, or close to it. It's all about speed. Thinking on your feet, but at a quick pace.

The other group looks at Tribes 2 and they see a war-game. Huge maps. Lots of vehicles. Fortresses. In truth, it's probably what the Dev team had in mind when they first made Tribes.. but it certainly was not what it resulted being.

I'm not disagreeing with you. You posed the question, what uniqueness does that article think is being lost. I'm trying to explain where I think they are coming from. I think they bought the team combat on an epic scale bit.

Shoddy said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. You posed the question, what uniqueness does that article think is being lost. I'm trying to explain where I think they are coming from. I think they bought the team combat on an epic scale bit.

That's precisely where they're coming from, yes. I can empathize, because I did to. I hated FPS games until Tribes because I couldn't stand the lone gunman mentality. I wanted the team based wargame, and for a few months I got it. I've wanted the franchise to return to that ever since.

Why not play Planetside? Is has the inevitable result - zerging from base to base in a faceless mass of teamplayers. Mere numbers on the battlefield, being redirected from skilless assault to skillless assault. Whomever directs the numbers better, wins the game.

Sojourn said:
One group looks at Tribes and see's something like a sport, or close to it. It's all about speed. Thinking on your feet, but at a quick pace.

I enjoy this facet of tribes; it favors a more intimate form of combat than the huge potential scale of T2 (which drove me to simply filter out the 64-man servers).

Shoddy said:

I understand. I'm sorry, that probably sounded a little condescending. I just meant to elaborate a little.

Zoolooman said:
Why not play Planetside? Is has the inevitable result - zerging from base to base in a faceless mass of teamplayers. Mere numbers on the battlefield, being redirected from skilless assault to skillless assault. Whomever directs the numbers better, wins the game.
because then the gaming websites wouldnt have anything to bitch about

even though this is the pure and simple truth, a skill based FPS shouldnt be based on numbers

i think they didnt mention "team" or "teamwork" in the preview for two reasons. 1. it comes assumed with "Tribes"... tribes 1 and 2 was about one team working together to take out the other team... so it is an assumed part of the game, whereas freedom of movement although was a major part of the game... was never emphasized publicly. Secondly... that is all t2 harped on "team warfare on an epic scale"... so instead of fucking that dog all day twice in a row... they veared in another direction and this guy pisses on them for it.

Yeah, teamwork is one of the first thing that comes to mind when you mention tribes. Besides, the same classes are there, the same jetpacks, and more or less the same weapons all on the same style of maps so I'm not sure why he thinks it will be a UT clone.

People will create mods and maps in T:V to cater to the type of experience you're looking for I guarantee Shoddy. It WAS available in T1 and probably still is on certain servers. However, what you describe is not what attracts competition players, and you know that, so that's obviously not what Thrax and company are trying to sell here or in press releases; it's not the emphasis of the game.

One thing that I thought set Tribes apart from most other FPS's; a very skilled player can take on 2-3 average players (enemies) at the same time, and win.

Last edited:
Wow I just actually read that thing. The guy is bitching about an hour and a half presentation? Is that serious? WTF kind of attention span problems does he have when he can't listen to a presentation for a little over an hour. Cry me a river 1up boy.

Rabid Poop said:
this is the stuff i was talking about in my thread

outside of the tribes community, people have no idea what tribes is about.

Boy, then I guess you'll be alarmed when you find out who's making the game.

Go read through the Bittah Interview, make sure to read through some of the bio's :) A wild mix of mappers, some haven't even a lick of experience with the Unreal editor, let alone played T1 or T2! That last part isn't restricted to mappers though:) To your surprise and maybe mine too:)

Maps aren't everything, but in Tribes, not every map works. Maps, to me, can make or break the game. Learning T1's maps, in the least, should've been a prereq. for a mappers position!

filsinger said:
i think they didnt mention "team" or "teamwork" in the preview for two reasons. 1. it comes assumed with "Tribes"... tribes 1 and 2 was about one team working together to take out the other team... so it is an assumed part of the game, whereas freedom of movement although was a major part of the game... was never emphasized publicly. Secondly... that is all t2 harped on "team warfare on an epic scale"... so instead of fucking that dog all day twice in a row... they veared in another direction and this guy pisses on them for it.

I think they didn't mention teamwork because that's entirely dependent on the gametype. They're trying to make T:V fun for just a handfull of players too, so that sorta implies having gametypes like hunters or deathmatch or similar things that aren't team-based. So, KP and Ed being the designer types emphasize the aspects of T:V that are common across all gametypes whereas players often thing in terms of their favorite gametype (usually CTF of course).

ok one question

how can this fucking asshat say "well I never played tribes and I sucked at tribes2, but I think tribes vengance is leaving the uniqueness of the tribes series out"

WHAT THE FUCK??

bobotheclown said:
Boy, then I guess you'll be alarmed when you find out who's making the game.

Go read through the Bittah Interview, make sure to read through some of the bio's :) A wild mix of mappers, some haven't even a lick of experience with the Unreal editor, let alone played T1 or T2! That last part isn't restricted to mappers though:) To your surprise and maybe mine too:)

Maps aren't everything, but in Tribes, not every map works. Maps, to me, can make or break the game. Learning T1's maps, in the least, should've been a prereq. for a mappers position!

yea except thrax is the producer and KP is a designer.

GJ.

Apotheosis said:
One thing that I thought set Tribes apart from most other FPS's; a very skilled player can take on 2-3 average players (enemies) at the same time, and win.
Yeah, thats the cool thing about tribes. In other games its just as likely you'll be killed by a camping newbie as a vet.

Back