[Test] 3 notes per string vs Caged

a: this is an awesome project

b: is there a warp or bow in the neck?

No.. no bow. It has to do with the headstock design. Gibson did it right with string angle coming off the nut and fender did it right by lining the strings up with the nut. Gibson's make a little bit of and turn from the nut. PRS combined the 2 and their headstocks are perfect.

5726ee97-5802-4c71-ad12-f03f18b8eb08.png

92ef29e8-8c83-4a81-b606-c2dfba07ea48.png

4e810894-7959-4c18-8b8c-13624afc81b3.png

oh I only meant that since it was used I didn't know if the previous owner might have kept it in a spot with high humidity, strung too tight for too long, that sort of thing. I had a strat that developed a shit warp in the neck because I was 13 and didn't know any better.

i love my guitar

i have an es-333 with a GK-3 on it that is a lot of fun and was my standby for years

but i got this last year

5174-desktop.jpg

and it just POPS. only thing i did to it was take the pickguard off and put flatwound 13s on it, lower the action a tiny bit

Sweet. I have recently decided I need a hollow body.

Also.. I put the zero fret on the strat. IMO it works much better on the les paul. I think I will be taking it back off the strat

CAGED vs 3NPS.... cheap answer is both... 3nps is superior when doing rolls and for a lot of speed stuff. caged is better for comping and I use it heavily when doing sweeps.

If I had to pick JUST one... 3nps. I am faster on the scale forms and I feel more free inside of them.

I meant to respond yesterday lol I was reading the topics and saw the title and did a total double take. wha wha what?!? TW is talking theory???

No.. no bow. It has to do with the headstock design. Gibson did it right with string angle coming off the nut and fender did it right by lining the strings up with the nut. Gibson's make a little bit of and turn from the nut. PRS combined the 2 and their headstocks are perfect.

5726ee97-5802-4c71-ad12-f03f18b8eb08.png

92ef29e8-8c83-4a81-b606-c2dfba07ea48.png

4e810894-7959-4c18-8b8c-13624afc81b3.png

....And Ernie Ball Musicman achieved perfection :)

Look into string butler for your gibsons string pull!

I knew giga would have opinion.. I have been really focusing on my soloing lately. I use more ear than theory so I have been working on that.

I found a vid that breaks it down into 3 fragments and teaches how to identify note positions/intervals instantly.. 3rd, 5th etc..

Major aha for me

This vid and the following..

I am not claiming this is new or anything but it is a new segment of my journey and exciting to me.
One way or another I probably would have gotten around to 3nps, but I'm really glad you linked this video. The guy almost bored me to death in the first couple minutes but thankfully I stuck with him because I now see how 3nps dovetails with CAGED but it gives you a whole new perspective of the same thing. For me, it's way easier to memorize compared to CAGED. It's like seeing the dark side of the moon for the first time or something.

I watched the video one time while in bed without a guitar in hand, and then 15-20 minutes later I picked up the guitar and tried to apply what I learned. It clicked almost instantly. It's definitely a much easier system for visually remembering scales. I can now play any major scale starting with any of the 3 'fragments', anywhere on the fretboard. Cool.

Thanks for the prod in the right direction, 4real :king:

Last edited:
I had to force myself to watch it 3 times before it clicked but when it did.. holy shit. Did you do part 2 where you learn to identify interval positions just by sight? That one is the shit.

I was going to really try to ingrain this concept before moving onto the next one, but I'll watch it sooner if you think it's a mistake to wait.

Yeah.. don't wait. You'll understand why. you learn to identify based on the fragment.. like the bottom left

5707b6e5-b1ef-4bb6-95fc-284b726aaf9a.png

It gives you the root and every interval by sight

Yeah.. don't wait. You'll understand why. you learn to identify based on the fragment.. like the bottom left

5707b6e5-b1ef-4bb6-95fc-284b726aaf9a.png

It gives you the root and every interval by sight
That upper left shape is fucking genius for numerous reasons. It should be the first thing every guitarist learns once they have a fundamental understanding of scales and keys.

I was going to try to figure out patterns to memorize the intervals on my own but if someone else can do that for me I guess that's better haha

One of the most important things that makes most guitarists break out of their shell I have found is memorize in this order the names and forms for

Major, Dorian, Phyrigian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Minor, and Locrian

once students understand every note of every key has its own scale and they match the modes above they learn how they connect and can lead in any key afterwards.

So simple if you can get past the weird "ian" names.

One of the most important things that makes most guitarists break out of their shell I have found is memorize in this order the names and forms for

Major, Dorian, Phyrigian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Minor, and Locrian

once students understand every note of every key has its own scale and they match the modes above they learn how they connect and can lead in any key afterwards.

So simple if you can get past the weird "ian" names.

I play Glimour stuff 80% of the time. I only need Em pentatonic with a little dorian thrown in for feeling. :idea:

Back