A Star Wars Story: Solo

I've never claimed it was simple. I said Solo had development issues, and it's coming off the heels of a poorly received TLJ (which would at least include some degree of sequel fatigue). You're arguing with me over this claim for some reason, without any basis for it other than some people you talk to still want to see it. Do you have any fact based reasoning or something you can point to that supports your opinion that TLJ was well received, that somehow justifies the staggering box office drop off?

Yes, as a general rule sequels make less money, but it's not guaranteed and it's certainly not rare (depending on your definition of rare of course) for first sequels to do better than the original. Typically it's genre dependent, and they usually fall into two categories: major franchises, or unexpected hits. But regardless of this, Star Wars is not your standard Movie +1 sequel format that typically results in huge drop offs.

yeah you've backed the goalposts up significantly from mocking the very existence of star fatigue.

you're also drawing a very imaginary failure for tlj out of the expectation that it "could have" been the chosen one to defeat sequel effect. the movie made a shitload of money, solo made a shitload too, even though it's severely underperforming. all the facts anyone needs are the box office numbers and historical data; this is what I'm trying to emphasize. and these facts simply aren't consistent with a worldview in which tlj was widely hated and largely destroyed the financial viability of solo or potentially star wars altogether. the backlash you want so badly to exist has no real world incarnation.

i mean shit people slammed episodes 1, 2, and 7 much harder than 8, and those ones didn't even have an entire media front sucking their cocks

nothing personal but just in general even outside movie threads you are like a case study in motivated reasoning

yeah you've backed the goalposts up significantly from mocking the very existence of star fatigue.

you're also drawing a very imaginary failure for tlj out of the expectation that it "could have" been the chosen one to defeat sequel effect. the movie made a shitload of money, solo made a shitload too, even though it's severely underperforming. all the facts anyone needs are the box office numbers and historical data; this is what I'm trying to emphasize. and these facts simply aren't consistent with a worldview in which tlj was widely hated and largely destroyed the financial viability of solo or potentially star wars altogether. the backlash you want so badly to exist has no real world incarnation.

i mean shit people slammed episodes 1, 2, and 7 much harder than 8, and those ones didn't even have an entire media front sucking their cocks

nothing personal but just in general even outside movie threads you are like a case study in motivated reasoning

What? I've done no such thing. My argument is the same now as it was before. You seem to be disagreeing with me but without providing any relevant data at all. You haven't provided any source that backs your claim that TLJ was a well received movie. You haven't done anything to prove that TLJ's record breaking dropoff was simply due to sequel fatigue, a trait that while common is nowhere near a certainty. Do you care to back your claim that people shit on episodes 1, 2, and 7 harder than 8, or is that simply more anecdotal evidence from your inner circle? By all means point me towards some data.

i think the biggest factor is star wars fatigue. the difference between MU and SWU is that MU generates good will every now and then with strong films. deadpool, logan, and thor ragnarok were all - great - recent movies. i didn't see black panther, but the buzz and good will it generated was massive. there might be duds and misses inbetween but there are enough hits to keep people interested.

there hasn't been a single star wars hit yet. even the most financially successful film, ep 7, was super controversial amongst fans.

now combine that with a super loaded may box office, all kinds of rumors and negative hype about production, and you get something close to a perfect storm

i believe had they released solo in december it would've been fine. i duno if it wouldve done great or well, but it certainly wouldnt go down as the massive bomb it's looking like now

Last edited:
Even though the Marvel films are fairly formulaic, they at least have a little more variety in tone and style. Heist films, espionage films, etc. I've always liked what Rich Evans of Red Letter Media said about Star Wars, which was basically "What more can you do with it?" It's space nazis and lightsabers, and that's basically it.

To bowl of blood's earlier point, that initial investment of $4B by Disney seems to be the largest driving factor at the moment. They want the return on their investment, which led to rushed products that were basically a paint-by-numbers approach. They'd probably fare better with a film every December model, and actually trying to tell new stories or do something different stylistically. I'd still love to see a Gareth Edwards directors cut of Rogue One.

are you stupid or something? early onset brain death? this is a google search away

Prices in 2017 are 87.3% higher than prices in 1990
https://www.officialdata.org/1990-dollars-in-2017

average movie ticket price in 1990: $4.23, 2017: $8.97, inflation-adjusted increase of $1 (expected price for inflation alone is $7.92). considering how much nicer theaters are today (both in terms of accommodations and convenience), that $1 is easily accounted for by an increase in value
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/about/adjuster.htm

is the penis out of your ears now

so not only have you proved yourself wrong, you proved yourself wrong even accounting for inflation

where exactly do you come out ahead in this argument?

i'm not letting forbes.com run their shitlord scripts (b/c u rly need javascript 2 display text amirite) just 2 see the "content" behind that kiddy fiddler thesis

ALSO

any article with a question for the title is sleazy fake news hit job horseshit b/c u can just lie and claim "BUT I WAS ONLY ASKING A QUESTION". check it out:

Tribalwar Gaming News the Most Visited Website on the Internet?

Does Anybody Actually Want Starsiege:TRIBES With Better Graphics?

Bitcoin Selling at $50,000 USD/BTC By Lunchtime?

etc

im sure a lot of people still have episodes 1-3 in the back of their mind

so much hype and it was a shitshow, but star wars somehow built this high expectation from the originals that it just cant live up to

MU is coming close to oversaturation but their last few have been good

star wars has hit that already because of some shit movies

have to give credit to the regressive scum
fan rebel against SJW garbage in TLJ, then ask if solo flipped because it's about a white guy

"Star Wars Fatigue" is something people who refuse to accept reality come up with to rationalize the current state of things without acknowledging or accepting responsibility for their part in fucking it up.

It's not that we made hash out of an unsinkable franchise by producing a series of badly written stories that push a social narrative that alienated our fan base and the movie going public in general... it's that people are tired of Star Wars.

Star Wars has been entrenched into Pop Culture for 40 years. With countless novels, comics, cartoons, movies and games feeding into our interest for more Star Wars making it the most profitable franchise in history. That's why Disney bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion dollars.

It's only in the last 2-3 years that now people are suddenly tired of Star Wars? I don't think so. The elephant in the room is named Kathleen Kennedy and her enablers. It's like someone put mom in charge of something cool and she insists you like her interpretation "because it's good for you". Eat your social justice broccoli, it's good for you! No, you can't have Luke Skywalker, he'll give you cavities. Here, have some pansexual virtue signalling about gay rights instead.

Last edited:
"Star Wars Fatigue" is something people who refuse to accept reality come up with to rationalize the current state of things without acknowledging or accepting responsibility for their part in fucking it up.

It's not that we made hash out of an unsinkable franchise by producing a series of badly written stories that push a social narrative that alienated our fan base and the movie going public in general... it's that people are tired of Star Wars.

Star Wars has been entrenched into Pop Culture for 40 years. With countless novels, comics, cartoons, movies and games feeding into our interest for more Star Wars making it the most profitable franchise in history. That's why Disney bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion dollars.

It's only in the last 2-3 years that now people are suddenly tired of Star Wars? I don't think so. The elephant in the room is named Kathleen Kennedy and her enablers. It's like someone put mom in charge of something cool and she insists you like her interpretation "because it's good for you". Eat your social justice broccoli, it's good for you! No, you can't have Luke Skywalker, he'll give you cavities. Here, have some pansexual virtue signalling about gay rights instead.

ok but why can't those two things be the same? people have tired of star wars because time after time it's left a bad taste in their mouths. they're no longer interested in the films because none of the films have been home runs. it's that notion of being disappointed repeatedly that's turning away audiences from solo. that seems perfectly reasonable and simple to me schpam

in what other sense is fatigue used as a descriptor? people don't fatigue from good movies the same way they don't fatigue from good blow jobs. people get fatigue from something when it becomes dull and excessive. its not one or the other, its the combination of both.

Last edited:
They/We are not tired of Star Wars. We're tired of Kathleen Kennedy. We have Political Correctness / SJW Fatigue. Not Star Wars Fatigue.

Disney is trying too rationalize a down turn in the franchise without admitting they fucked it up by conflating their social commentary with Star Wars as if they are one in the same thing. Clearly they are not in the eyes of the movie going public.

ok but why can't those two things be the same? people have tired of star wars because time after time it's left a bad taste in their mouths. they're no longer interested in the films because none of the films have been home runs. it's that notion of being disappointed repeatedly that's turning away audiences from solo. that seems perfectly reasonable and simple to me schpam

in what other sense is fatigue used as a descriptor? people don't fatigue from good movies the same way they don't fatigue from good blow jobs. people get fatigue from something when it becomes dull and excessive. its not one or the other, its the combination of both.
The only fatigue that Star Wars is feeling is from people like me being sick and tired of the social justice shit they get you to pay for instead of a movie. They can rip on white males all day long and I wouldn't care; it's their right to do it but when they package this shit in a movie, they better accept that the people they are attacking, are no longer going to pay to be scolded.

Perfect example of the problem they are facing. They refuse to believe that most of the nation and the world do not buy into their social justice shit so it can't be about the white male not going to see it, but because its about a white male.

They/We are not tired of Star Wars. We're tired of Kathleen Kennedy. We have Political Correctness / SJW Fatigue. Not Star Wars Fatigue.

Disney is trying too rationalize a down turn in the franchise without admitting they fucked it up by conflating their social commentary with Star Wars as if they are one in the same thing. Clearly they are not in the eyes of the movie going public.
Didn't see this post which is 100% spot on. That what i get for sitting in quote mode for too long.

Joop

Back