How to not get fucked by the insurance company

JustinCase

Contributor
Veteran XX
Last Tuesday some hick in a work van decided to run into the back of my gto at around 25mph, didn't get touch his brakes. From how hard I go hit I thought my entire rear end would be a crumpled mess (my neck and back still hurt). To my surprise there wasn't much visible damage to the bumper. However the inside of my trunk is totally fucked up, won't close, and is about 2 feet smaller than it used to be. The hit was hard enough to rip the stitches in my rear seats. I managed to drive it 2 miles home and the transmission was making an awesome sound. I know for a fact there is going to be a lot of damage once the bumper is taken off, possibly to the frame.

Now this guy's company had some random insurance company from the other side of the country who has been a pain to work with so far. They got me into a rental car the next day and on Thursday an adjuster (not for their company since they don't have any locations near me, some type of contract worker) came by my house and started making me feel uneasy. He was mentioning about how since he can't see that much damage without taking the bumper off then he isn't sure if the insurance company will pay for, as well as any mechanical problems under my car or with my transmission. I wanted to call him a dumb shit and tell him that's what repair shop estimates are for.

I still haven't heard from the claims person, she seems to only work 3 hours a day Monday through Wednesday or something. You would think they would want to get me to a body shop asap.

I want to find a way to get as much money as possible out of these fuckers. Do I have any type of case for the loss of value to my vehicle due to the wreck (it's a 2005)? Can I stand my ground and not accept anything until I'm 100% satisfied?

um shouldn't your insurance company be taking care of all of this? Pretty sure you don't deal with anything

:shrug: I've never been in an accident before, my insurance company gave me the claim number for his insurance and the claim person's number, I've been talking to her

you bring it to a shop, have them give you an estimate they should forward that along to your insurance. You pay your deductible (might not have to pay that depending on fault) and your insurance company fights with the other insurance company to pay for the rest.

Done

Last edited:
Be prepared to spend money suing them if they try to deny your claim. Once it gets in front of a judge, you'll usually get your claim paid, plus atty fees. Of course, there's always the chance you get nothing - then you're out the atty fees and the cost of repairing your car.

Fuck man that sucks. I got hit last year and they had me in a rental and at a body shop the next day. They had Allstate or State Farm or something though.

Call your insurance company and let them know you're having problems getting this resolved.

edit: like revulsion said let your insurance deal with it; USAA would be beating down doors.

go to your doctor anyway and get it all documented...youll get money for being even slightly injured

and yes even if youre sore youre still injured

Of course you should go see a doctor if you are having pain. Even if it's just to have it documented that you went. It might not hurt that much right now, but it could start hurting a lot more. It's much better to have documentation saying that you went to the hospital with minor pain that increased over time vs. all of the sudden 6 months later it started to hurt.

Also when you bring it to a shop let them know about the transmission and all that, they want to fix everything wrong for more money.

Also when you bring it to a shop let them know about the transmission and all that, they want to fix everything wrong for more money.

Absolutely. Also make sure they have a hypothesis as to why being rear-ended messed up your transmission. It would sound a lot better coming from them.

366902-justin_case_safe_auto.jpg

I'm going to go the doctor this afternoon now, just in case (lolololol)

I'll also give my insurance company a call and see what they think I should do

I'm going to go the doctor this afternoon now, just in case (lolololol)

I'll also give my insurance company a call and see what they think I should do

Your insurance company will deal with it for you if you file a claim with them. Go get your estimate first, so they know what they're working with. They will pay for the repairs - you'd still have to pay your deductible. If the other driver is at fault, your insurance company will go after his insurance company for reimbursement. That takes you out of the process of having to try to fight an insurance company. I've done it that way before, and it's WAY better. It avoids you having to sue as well; just let your insurer deal with it. Typically, if they recover from the other insurance company, they will refund your deductible so you aren't out anything. If they aren't able to recover, well at least you're just out your deductible.

Back