Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally hope Tribes: Ascend is as much like Tribes 2 base as possible. T2 base attracted a huge number of fans who continued playing and loving it for many years — easily as many if not more so than T1 fans.

The reason T:V was a complete disaster is because Irrational tried to please the vocal minority who wanted T1 with better graphics, the T2 fans who wanted a worthy successor, and the general gaming public who've never fancied Tribes at all.

What makes the situation particularly crazy is that T1 and T2 are both superb games in their own ways, and really are designed for two entirely different types of players (although there's obviously overlap). Tribes 2 fans have most likely since gotten obsessed with things like PlanetSide, Battlefield, and Team Fortress. Tribes 1 fans have since done nothing but bitch on a forum about how they want 1998 back.

Who to actually design and market a Tribes game to is so fucked up it's not worth even trying nowadays. I have sincere pity for any developer that tries.

I don't want to get my hopes up. I like the looks of these models better than t:v's.
The teaser did a good job stirring up nostalgia.
I'm open to it.

I personally hope Tribes: Ascend is as much like Tribes 2 base as possible. T2 base attracted a huge number of fans who continued playing and loving it for many years — easily as many if not more so than T1 fans.

The reason T:V was a complete disaster is because Irrational tried to please the vocal minority who wanted T1 with better graphics, the T2 fans who wanted a worthy successor, and the general gaming public who've never fancied Tribes at all.

What makes the situation particularly crazy is that T1 and T2 are both superb games in their own ways, and really are designed for two entirely different types of players (although there's obviously overlap). Tribes 2 fans have most likely since gotten obsessed with things like PlanetSide, Battlefield, and Team Fortress. Tribes 1 fans have since done nothing but bitch on a forum about how they want 1998 back.

Who to actually design and market a Tribes game to is so fucked up it's not worth even trying nowadays. I have sincere pity for any developer that tries.

Yeah, T2 base on a gamepad is everyone's dream.

We don't even know what the lead platform is — being released on a console doesn't implicitly mean a poor PC version, even if it has happened more than a few times. If it's the PC then it'll most likely turn out fine, if not then oh well it's yet another failed sequel after T2. Life goes on.

Personally my anticipation of this is barely above zero. Things like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 are far more appealing to me, and to be honest I think like most people what I really miss about Tribes is impossible for any game to reproduce.

Excellent troll.

TBH, a tribes game that was T2 base wouldn't be bad. It would suck for all of us and wouldn't be worth playing probably, but if it gathered a large player base because it was more accessible that could then be used for a real tribes game as a sequel in 4 years or so, thats better then a decent game that gets no one to play it this year.

If you want to play a decent tribes game with not many people playing it, just play legions. Or T1. Or T2c. We have plenty of those already :\

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back