Books

how long have you been into buddhism? what are your thoughts on it and its practices?

I have been into Buddhism for quite a while. While I am not 100% on everything taught I believe the teachings are a very pure with very good direction. I also meditate but mostly to center myself physically and emotionally versus trying to reach enlightenment.

I could drone on and on so lets just say I dig it ;)

Buddhism isn't a religion either :p

WAT?
why not, b/c they don't have a god?

I'm sure it's a religion and not just a way of life.

dang

hey - even Wikipedia says it is, the internet is never wrong, otherwise those 520 million people are going to be pretty pissed off.

Buddhism (/ˈbʊdɪzəm/) is the world's fourth-largest religion with over 520 million followers, or over 7% of the global population, known as Buddhists.

Last edited:
WAT?
why not, b/c they don't have a god?

I'm sure it's a religion and not just a way of life.

dang

hey - even Wikipedia says it is, the internet is never wrong, otherwise those 520 million people are going to be pretty pissed off.

ws0bMXi.png

Well it is not just a way of life..the ultimate goal is to reach enlightenment and they believe in reincarnation. How you act in this life alters your next etc. Buddhist who have reached a certain level say they can see into their past lives.
That's why China was always at odds with Tibet and the Dali. They are not able to control their lives and the Dali always spoke about peace and human kindness which the Chinese government didn't take kindly.

Last book I finished was "Inside the mind of BTK" by John Douglas. It was ok, but I preferred "Mindhunter" (series on netflix based on this book). Problem was, John Douglas had retired from the FBI years before BTK was caught, and wasn't too involved in the capture. He also wasn't given a lot of time to interview Dennis Rader, so you don't really get to go into his mind, really. Mindhunter was much much better, especially after watching the series, and seeing stories he discusses in the book come to life.

Dennis Rader is the least interesting and my least favorite of serial killers.

It figures Gandalf would like him.

Adjustment Day: A Novel: Chuck Palahniuk: 9780393652598: Amazon.com: Books

from guy who did fight club

51IBkEfgRZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Adjustment Day, the author’s first novel in four years, is an ingeniously comic work in which Chuck Palahniuk does what he does best: skewer the absurdities in our society. Smug, geriatric politicians bring the nation to the brink of a third world war in an effort to control the burgeoning population of young males; working-class men dream of burying the elites; and professors propound theories that offer students only the bleakest future.

good chit so far

Does anyone else here like to read Pulp style fiction? Like Maltese Falcon, the Big Sleep types? I have a fairly large collection of these. I love this stuff.

I have started reading and collecting the Hard Case Crime books. Built around the old pulps that were awesome. Love these.

I try to bounce around different genres; fiction, non fiction, fantasy, hard science etc.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Back