I just paid $180 for a bottle of beer

Well, obviously you have never heard of trappist beers before or you would realise how stupid your comment was. Quality is not based on the country of origin, all trappist beers come from Belgium except for one which comes from Denmark.

The judgement of quality comes from the history of the beer, and most of the trappist beers have 300 years plus of history, water that comes from abbey springs, yeasts that are cultivars of 600 year old strains in some cases. Some trappists have a history that can be traced back to before the puritans landed on the shores of the Americas.

A final measure of quality, is the ability to cellar a beer, most beers that use commercial yeast strains and often include preservatives cannot be "aged" in a cellar to improve the flavour, in fact keep most beers past their shelf date and they go very very wrong, however most trappist beers can be cellared past 10 years with a noticeable improvement in quality similar to wines.

Beer snobbery isn't about buying an expensive bottle and going "Look ma, I'm a snob" no, beer snobbery is about understanding beer, its origins, its history, and knowing that America has no history or skills to compare with the benedictine monks who have been making this shit for centuries, long before the US was even colonised.

So, "snob" now that you have an education in beer, please, go into the world and experience REAL quality, without paying a stupid fortune for the privilege. I will even give you a leg up, the two absolute "must try" Trappist beers are Westvleteren and Rochefort, both with a very long old history that produce cellerable beers. Also, Chimay are a sell out (ingredient and technique wise), don't bother mentioning them.

Its as insulting as trying to tell me a Californian Zinfandel is an adequate comparison to a French Bordeaux from a respected winery.

:D

theirs isn't 21% abv
so it's entirely different, and nothing you said applies

Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 27% ABV - 21.31%ABW

thats like 50 proof

Edit just read above..am I mistaken on proof though?

Last edited:
wtf is wrong with someone that they would spend $181 on a beer? If I was Axel fucking Rose I wouldn't buy that and I fucking LOVE good beer. The shit ain't wine though, beer is meant for mass production/consumption.

wtf is wrong with someone that they would spend $181 on a beer? If I was Axel fucking Rose I wouldn't buy that and I fucking LOVE good beer. The shit ain't wine though, beer is meant for mass production/consumption.

When it gets to that proof I really dont classify it as a beer..more like a liquor. But there is nothing wrong with spending that amount if it is awesome. There are wines out there over 1000 a bottle easy.

many belgian strong ales and tripels are delicious. I've come across a few that taste more like vinegar than beer for some godawful reason though.

I think they might not ship well. I had the Chimay Grande Reserve decades ago and loved it, but everything I've tried since is just nasty.

When it gets to that proof I really dont classify it as a beer..more like a liquor. But there is nothing wrong with spending that amount if it is awesome. There are wines out there over 1000 a bottle easy.

You're justifying expensive beer because expensive wine exists.

:rofl:

Guys, a $1000 eraser is totally worth it because you can buy a $1000 pen.

You're justifying expensive beer because expensive wine exists.

:rofl:

Guys, a $1000 eraser is totally worth it because you can buy a $1000 pen.

and money doesnt mean anything to you because you mooch off your parents so your concept is null and void herpes boy.

If I so choose a beer that's maybe 150 a bottle I am doing it for a reason. You overspend dollars on shitty apple products but you do it for attention.

Back