Anyone do a sleep study?

Tatiyana

Veteran X
So, the doctors think I might have narcolepsy (not the classic kind, but a mild case of it). I have to do a sleep study to confirm, which will be the basic overnight sleep study as well as the multiple sleep latency test (multiple 20 minute naps to see how quickly I go into REM sleep). Just curious what other's experiences have been.

My boss did a sleep study very recently, 2 nights of it.

They found out he had a severe case of sleep apnea, which is why he's been coming in late for a while now everyday (though he does stay till very late as well).

They claim he stops breathing 20-30 times a night and that he's lucky he's been living so long. Now he sleeps with one of those facemasks which he says is ridiculously uncomfortable till he gets used to it. It forces air into his nostrils basically (high enough pressure that you feel it).

On top of this, he gets severe allergies during Spring and Fall, so for the last couple of months, he'd have his sinus problems and along with this mask, the pressure just shifts over to the other nostril, so he can't even sleep with it on now.

My boss did a sleep study very recently, 2 nights of it.

They found out he had a severe case of sleep apnea, which is why he's been coming in late for a while now everyday (though he does stay till very late as well).

They claim he stops breathing 20-30 times a night and that he's lucky he's been living so long. Now he sleeps with one of those facemasks which he says is ridiculously uncomfortable till he gets used to it. It forces air into his nostrils basically (high enough pressure that you feel it).

On top of this, he gets severe allergies during Spring and Fall, so for the last couple of months, he'd have his sinus problems and along with this mask, the pressure just shifts over to the other nostril, so he can't even sleep with it on now.

The doctor says I have a VERY small chance it could be sleep apnea, I have a low lying pallete or something, but because I'm not overweight it's more than likely narcolepsy.

But I don't have to do 2 nights, just 1 night, and a couple hours during the next day.

It's my parent's company. My boss has been with the company since I was 12.

So, technically, he's above me in terms of position, though he still consults me on anything related to money. He's also a good friend, and I respect his position.

I wanted to get a sleep study done but didn't because it would have cost me a few hundo.. probably a bad idea in the longrun. Let me know how it goes.

I had an English teacher in junior high that I believe had narcolepsy, no joke. She would just randomly doze off at times. For example, we used to grade each others assignments and as she was reading off the answers to us it was like "exercise number five........." and she'd be out for a minute. Then she'd wake up and resume exactly where she left off.

Oh yeah and my dad did a study at Stanford because he had sleep apnea but honestly I don't remember enough of it to give any details, aside from the obvious stuff that you probably already know.

Last edited:
You don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea. Your doctor sounds like an idiot.

Narcolepsy? That's ridiculous.

I think the whole entire thing is a sham. Doctors have YET to prove that this is really a valid illness.

After all, think about it: what are the chances, REALLY, that in this universe of ours there would be a malady that caused someone to just pass out -- completely asleep -- while in the middle of watching TV, paying bills, or god forbid just surfing TribalWa...........adffffffff...aamvvvvvvvvvvdmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................................................................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmamxxxxxxxxaaaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx///////////////////////////////////////////////mmmmmmmmmm///////////////////////////////////////////////////////vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
z
z
zzvo
o
o
ovvoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz///////////////////////////////////////......

i have done many of them and they are fucking boring.

also, they give you a sleeping pill. since I was going for insomnia, doesn't that fucking ruin the point of the study? anyway, they found out I wake up ~100 of times a night (wake up as in come out of REM sleep) and after multiple studies the endocrinologist (for some reason they do these studies) said my problem was that I was depressed.

several months later while getting an MRI on a torn abdominal muscle it was discovered I have a tumor on my adrenal which was the most likely cause of my insomnia.

anyway, enjoy your study and your adderral.

its a pheochromocytoma and when I found it I didn't have enough insurance to get it biopsied or anything so it's still there. I'm supposed to get a scan on it every 2 years but I have not done that. I really need to get it checked out, but the odds are in my favor that it's benign. The only bad thing is I have extra adrenaline.

Back