Shooting on VA Tech campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure what you can do.

Campus police don't have the resources to go door to door and lockdown the moment they figure out there may be some nut on campus. Nor could they possibly ever check what every student on campus is carrying with them.
I agree. They really don't have the resources to act as a shield. If not for parking tickets there wouldn't even be a VT police force. It seems like the wrong time to step something like that up in order to gain more man power for positions that would amount to glorified security guards.

The whole idea of a lockdown seems strange to me. knowing the size of campus, the logistics of that would be pretty amazing to pull off in a couple of ours with the manpower available. this also needs to be kept in perspective. we're talking about a community that feels perfectly safe leaving their doors unlocked at night and when they run out to the store for a gallon of milk. Every year both Blacksburg and VT police practically scream at the community to take basic safety precautions. They were mainly concerned with things like theft and drunken students wandering into the wrong house/apartment. I can tell you mass murder was never on anyone’s mind.

For tiny colleges - there are ways they can orchestrate and control campuses, but for any major campus with more than about 10 or 15 buildings and at least 10k students - it's basically impossible.

The whole idea of a lockdown seems strange to me. knowing the size of campus, the logistics of that would be pretty amazing to pull off in a couple of ours with the manpower available. this also needs to be kept in perspective. we're talking about a community that feels perfectly safe leaving their doors unlocked at night and when they run out to the store for a gallon of milk. Every year both Blacksburg and VT police practically scream at the community to take basic safety precautions. They were mainly concerned with things like theft and drunken students wandering into the wrong house/apartment. I can tell you mass murder was never on anyone’s mind.

I was really impressed today by the VT Police. I feel like they did everything they could have and they are getting screwed by the retarded press. It really amazes me at how badly the press distorts facts and situations and sometimes is just outright WRONG. I heard so much BS on the news today it made me angry.

you are very wrong and people who just read this drivel without researching the facts cause problems.

You evidently did not read my drivel :p

I said I don't have any crime or murder rates, but there has not been a massacre since 97.

And the rates you gave were a representation of between 97-99 correct? Do you have any more current stats?

Gun control within Australia has stopped mass shootings and mass murders - best I know. I didn't claim it had stopped death and murder altogether. Of course people will still kill using whichever weapon they can. Hence the curb on bladed weapons. Of course, that too hasn't stopped much - there are still plenty of stabbings and even stabbing murders.

Infact, while I was at a music festival containing 25,000 people there was a very public stabbing murder. A girl I work with saw 2 men chase a third through the crowd, and stab him 7 times - including in the throat. He slumped and, I believe, died at the scene, or very shortly after.

But had Mr. Stabber been carrying a gun (there were no metal detectors or pat downs upon entering), he could have (much more easily) killed multiple people - in crossfire or on purpose.

Getting a knife in Australia is still a piece of piss, but I wouldn't have a clue as to where to find guns. Whereas I believe it's quite different in the US - very easy to find guns, no?

But again I will state that the US and Australia have very different cultures (gun cultures at least) and have done since the start. Trying to make American more like Australia, I'm sure, wouldn't work. My original point was that arming everyone isn't the answer. What the answer is, for American, I dunno - cos I'm Australian ;p

BREAKING NEWS (not really): POLICE SAY THERE MAY BE SOMEONE ELSE INVOLVED IN THE MASSACRE AT VA TECH, IN ADDITION TO THE DEAD SHOOTER

ABC News: Second Male May Be Involved in VA Tech Massacre

Campus police have identified a person of interest who is not currently in police custody. Police say the person of interest is a male who knew the female who was killed in the original double homicide at the West Ambler Johnston Hall dormitory. Flinchum also said he is not a student and that he knew the female who was killed in the original double homicide.

Last edited:
There isn't an answer, because there isn't a pressing problem.

It sounds terribly callous, and very heartless to those personally affected, but statistically this is a drop in the ocean. Thirty people is nothing in the big scheme of things.

If you really want to make a difference, go for the things that really matter. Maybe the question should be, what matters? Alcohol consumption is probably one of the biggest killers.

Bring on Prohibition II!

I'm not convinced that increasing OR decreasing access to guns is going to have any effect. the usa just seems to have more psychopaths than other countries :[

There isn't an answer, because there isn't a pressing problem.

It sounds terribly callous, and very heartless to those personally affected, but statistically this is a drop in the ocean. Thirty people is nothing in the big scheme of things.

If you really want to make a difference, go for the things that really matter. Maybe the question should be, what matters? Alcohol consumption is probably one of the biggest killers.

Bring on Prohibition II!

who the fuck is this in response to and are you on drugs?

There are obviously going to be questions about the two hour+ time lag. I'm 100% sure it could have been handled better, not that it would be expected since hindsight is 20/20. I think the problem was they did not react to the first incident with due measure. 2 dead people in a dorm room at 7:15 AM with gunshot wounds and a killer on the loose is arms for concern and cancelling of school or at least much increased security and a manhunt.

I think the excuses they give are halfassed though. 36000 emails is just one fucking click and a cinch for universities. The problem was the correct shots and reaction was not taken initially to completely protect the students/faculty. Warnings and "be on the lookouts" should have been around, and a full manhunt of the university to ensure the suspect was not on campus. I think cancelling at least the 8 AM class could have been reasonably done. Students could have gotten an email at 7:30, signs posted on all dorms (roughly 50%? of most colleges), and signs on all the buildings.
IT WAS POSSIBLE TO PREVENT THE SECOND SHOOTING, it just didn't happen. I'm not going to play armchair and say I would have done it or what I would have done. But it was essentially a preventable incident and could have been stopped. This is not really debatable imo. RA's could have been told, HD's told. Signs posted on all buildings, emails sent by 7:45.

The trick is that you don't need every single person to know, word of mouth would have at least spread 2 hours into the schoolday to most apartments and dorms. It could have been prevented if the security and school officials acted extremely cautious and took deep weight to the 2 shooting deaths and killer on the loose.

how on earth can you definitively say (in caps, no less) that it was possible to stop the second shooting? There's no telling what this guy would have done if there weren't kids in the classroom. Maybe he would have stormed a dorm, or a local street of apartments, or done any number of various heinous acts. Once you're outside the realm of a sane person, anything becomes possible. The only way to prevent the 2nd shooting was to catch him before the 2nd shooting, and given the apparently random nature of the first crime, if indeed it was the same person, that was not going to be a matter of hours.

You are armchair QB-ing along with the rest of the news media. Its so incredibly frustrating. They did what tehy thought was teh best. You are looking at the situation after the fact saying what you would have done now that you have all of this information. They had minutes to act on the information they had at the time...they did. Turns out that it was much more serious than they thought, but to blame them for being negligent is ignorant and im tired of people bashing the VT police department or the administration about it.

Sure...this all could have been done better. But how many universities have a plan for something liek this...something like a double homicide in a dorm followed by a pyschotic rampage through classrooms on the other side of campus?!? Give me a fucking break and get off your high horse.

You are armchair QB-ing along with the rest of the news media. Its so incredibly frustrating. They did what tehy thought was teh best. You are looking at the situation after the fact saying what you would have done now that you have all of this information. They had minutes to act on the information they had at the time...they did. Turns out that it was much more serious than they thought, but to blame them for being negligent is ignorant and im tired of people bashing the VT police department or the administration about it.

Sure...this all could have been done better. But how many universities have a plan for something liek this...something like a double homicide in a dorm followed by a pyschotic rampage through classrooms on the other side of campus?!? Give me a fucking break and get off your high horse.

I run through these scenarios every day. What I would do in the case of any number of emergencies from someone pulling a gun, someone walking towards me weirdly, someone robbing me, etc. It is standard operating procedure for a police force to be able to deal with a shooting in today's world. If a fucking 20 year old kid with two pistols can kill 33 what would they do in a case of a terrorist or other threat? It is your job to serve and protect, failing to plan ahead for situations like this rests squarely on their shoulders. Their document for emergencies was 4 pages long and was basically completely worthless.

Their job is to protect the students of VT, they failed.

if the police in fucking blacksburg, virginia have to worry about defending our nation from terrorists, then we're fucked to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back