[Major Update] 1-60 XP rate changes

60-70 is cake. I have 2 70's and a 69 mage.

20-58 is horrid...I would level a paladin, but I dread the thought.

I leveled my rogue that I made wow day 1, ebayed 2.5 years later and then rerolled and used joanes guide i think its called, made it pretty quick and not too painful for somebody who hates leveling.

I like STV, Dustwallow, and SoS so I don't mind 30-40. If you hate those zones I can see how you would hate that stretch. I don't really care for Arathi but I tolerate it enough to do the quests. I like Alterac the best out of all the 30 something zones. I wish they had made it more quest intensive with a better story line instead of just Hey kill some Ogres! Hey kill some Syndicate!

Are you fucking stupid? (Though I should obviously know this by now) 60-70 is easy, well-paced, and generally fun.

1-60 is poorly paced, contains way too much grinding, and generally... sucks.

Totally agree. I shelfed my Paladin and began leveling a warlock. Granted I can grind pretty damn fast but still it is a long ass grind. Especially with no mount and having to walk across entire zones in order to quest.

I went from level 8 to 26 from Thursday to Monday night.

Have 1 70 and 3 more 60+ toons, and I never had a problem with 50 - 60. It was roughly the same as the rest of it. Maybe you guys just grinded too much and I quested? Also because if you grind without questing it's relatively stupid. 98% of the quests involve grinding anyway (kill count, collecting quest items off mobs, etc.) so why not grab the quests, go out and grind, and when your packs are full or need repairs go back to town and turn it in and get a nice large shot of XP?

:nuts: Yes, some people are dumb and literally grind mobs. But that's not the issue.

60-70 is relatively compacted and much better designed in terms of keeping a "flow" going. The big decisions are 1) do i want to do a lot of instances? 2) which quests should i skip for cash later?

On older servers, it's also easier to find people to team up with.

1-60 is like... what fuckin continent do i want to be on for the next 5 levels? Fuck, do i do these crappy green quests scattered in 4 zones or try to do these elite quests i need to team up for?

I'm fairly good at the 1-60 race cuz i learned how to "cluster" quests to cut down on time spent traveling. I still absolutely dread it, mostly cuz it's a boring grind i just never want to see again... esp from like 18-56.

I like STV, Dustwallow, and SoS so I don't mind 30-40. If you hate those zones I can see how you would hate that stretch. I don't really care for Arathi but I tolerate it enough to do the quests. I like Alterac the best out of all the 30 something zones. I wish they had made it more quest intensive with a better story line instead of just Hey kill some Ogres! Hey kill some Syndicate!

Yeah after the Defias they could have fleshed out the Syndicate some more. From what I understand they were pretty much all the nobles who didn't pay VanCleef and his stonemasons for re-building Stormwind. It's implied Alliance-side they were responsible for kidnapping the king through that long series where you run errands for the Super-Spy-Cheese-Shop-Owner. But other than that they're pretty much just bitch mobs and rogue-tokens. They have such a "they're there just to get quest stuff off of" feel.

:nuts: Yes, some people are dumb and literally grind mobs. But that's not the issue.

60-70 is relatively compacted and much better designed in terms of keeping a "flow" going. The big decisions are 1) do i want to do a lot of instances? 2) which quests should i skip for cash later?

On older servers, it's also easier to find people to team up with.

1-60 is like... what fuckin continent do i want to be on for the next 5 levels? Fuck, do i do these crappy green quests scattered in 4 zones or try to do these elite quests i need to team up for?

I'm fairly good at the 1-60 race cuz i learned how to "cluster" quests to cut down on time spent traveling. I still absolutely dread it, mostly cuz it's a boring grind i just never want to see again... esp from like 18-56.

I'm at the point too, but I don't dread it. Usually I have a friend who has the same workhours as me so we usually pair up and get quests done. Takes off some of the boring grind, but I was never one to absolutely dread it. My co-worker (who is apparently taking off until Lich King because he's bored) can't stand leveling another toon past his one and only lvl 70 hunter. Even though he's on Normal and complains virulently about how he should be able to transfer his Normal hunter to a PvP realm so he can gank in all his epics. He was pretty much at SSC, said his guild didn't know how to jump into water and onto platforms and they weren't progressing past the one boss this was necessary.

I must say though that pairing up can significantly reduce ganking, especially since Deathwing Alliance are such cowards and only willing to fight when they know they can win. We've had more than a few ?? run from us to later find out they were just outside red range for us (6 - 9 levels higher, depending on your level) and felt even that level gap would have been enough to gank the two of us. Though to be fair we occasionally get a 60+ babysitter (at one time two level 70s following one lvl 35 around) but it's still nice to know simple numbers is enough to deter the bulk of ganking.

Last edited:
Yes, obviously leveling with a buddy makes it easier and more fun. But 1-60 is still a retarded grind for 99% of the player base at this point. 60-70 is more tolerable but it isnt exactly what makes people play the game.

Not being able to kill Lurker is like not being able to find the instance entrance...

side note: it's fun setting up a team of heavy caster dps to sit underneath the water the ENTIRE time with a shadow priest (warlock water breathing) :D

we used to put a powerhouse party under water to non-stop dps and it was really fun. we came up for the adds, but that's it.

Not being able to kill Lurker is like not being able to find the instance entrance...

I dunno, I never did raiding and that's what he said. He knew how to jump off the pads into the water and jump back up to the pad from the water when necessary but the rest of his guild couldn't. So I guess they kept clearing up to Lurker and wiping epically. :shrug:

He's also not realizing that more Normal raiding progression guilds are hardcore or no-core. New guild he is in expect him to raid 5 nights a week at 3 - 4 hours a night. And he is burned out from all the PvE and whining about not being able to gank people on a Normal realm.

So someone who is the self-proclaimed "Best hunter on Gnomeregan and possibly all of Nightfall" he whines a lot about not being able to gank now that he's pretty much only out-geared by Black Temple raiders or Gladiators.

I have 3 alliance 70s and found the 40-50 range to be my least favorite, with my Draenei priest it wasn't bad because I just chain ran ZF.

If WoW is the only MMORPG you played I can see how you might complain about the time to level. I played Anarchy Online before WoW, that game has a real grind. When you hit level 161 you have maxed all your key abilites until you hit level 190, those levels take as long to get through as leveling 30-65 in WoW, and you really gain nothing for that time, no more health, no better attack power, you might get a few spells but they generally just higher ranks of what you have. As far as gear, you pretty much have all level 200 gear on at level 130 so aren't gaining anything that way.

Then if you get the expansion pack level 200-220 takes the same time it takes to level 1-70 in WoW. You only gain a little bit of xp per kill out there and you need a team to level, there were no quests, it was all a grind killing the same mobs from level 200-220, you just went to different zones for higher level mobs, and each zone had enough mobs for 2 groups of 6 to farm.

Once you hit level 202 you needed to gain rep, because you needed high rep to get more xp per kill, in order to gain that rep you had to kill a raid level mob that took 20 people and only spawned once every 4 hours, and if you wiped after summoning you have to wait 4 hours. The right was rough, the raid had to be well balanced and geared, he had to be debuffed and only one class had the debuff, if it was resisted the mob would aoe the raid down in about 10 seconds. Even when you did kill the mob each kill meant that the next time you would get less faction, you would start out getting 2000 faction for the kill, later you would still be there for kills and be down to 60 faction per kill. Once you had killed that guy 20-25 times you could start leveling.

The next expansion was worse for leveling so I won't even get into that.

Shadowlands was pretty brutal for levelling.

I had a 210 MA and a 208 Shade. I probably would have made it to 220 on both eventually, but WoW came out and I stopped playing. In hindsight, grinding hecklers and Inf. Horrors was mind-numbingly boring, I have no idea why I felt so compelled to keep playing.

I dunno if anyone ever noticed but 1 - 60 it seems like the regions where questing is more progressive suffers from one or more of the following.

1. Huge ganking region ie. Killsbrad, StrangeGank Vale, etc.
2. Long distance running ie. you run across the zone to get a quest done, and run back, and run out again to do the next series.

I think the reason people think it sucks is you avoid those regions specifically to cut down on ganking (which would ultimately kill your leveling time anyway) and you go to the regions where there are huge quest stop-gaps where you only get 2 - 3 levels before having to move on.

You can't be ganked on a PvE server, and 1-60 still sucks goat balls. You're just retarded.

This is true, but I'm assuming PvP at this point. I condensed all my Normal toons onto one realm and I haven't touched them in a long, long time. Very rarely do I get so fed up with being ganked I'll go there for an hour or two. Or occasionally to be able to look at quest lore undisturbed.

Also you complain about the leveling like they will actually change it to a point where you'd like it, and they won't. This may be my first MMO (I don't count UO back in '97/'98 when AOL was pay-by-hour) but I know enough about MMOs to know the "grind" is specifically what keeps players playing and paying. If you have that huge a problem with that you can stick to one toon (as my co-worker did) or stop playing or buy a toon or even bot. It's not like there's no alternatives.

I have 3 alliance 70s and found the 40-50 range to be my least favorite

yea, that's when you basically are forced to be spread across the entire map, questing in the shittiest zones and eventually getting stuck with a bunch of elite quests you really, really cant be bothered doing.

i vaguely remember hitting like 48 and having nothing but horrible elite quests.

yea, that's when you basically are forced to be spread across the entire map, questing in the shittiest zones and eventually getting stuck with a bunch of elite quests you really, really cant be bothered doing.

i vaguely remember hitting like 48 and having nothing but horrible elite quests.

I dunno Feralas was always decent in terms fo quests from 43ish to 50. And Ur'Goro you get some decent hunting quests around 46 - 47. Plus all the green makes the red of opposing players stand out like a sore thumb.

Shadowlands was pretty brutal for levelling.

I had a 210 MA and a 208 Shade. I probably would have made it to 220 on both eventually, but WoW came out and I stopped playing. In hindsight, grinding hecklers and Inf. Horrors was mind-numbingly boring, I have no idea why I felt so compelled to keep playing.

ya, I hit 210 my engi, was able to use the grenade launcher and then quit that week because only other goal for me was to hit 220 and I didn't want to do the 210-220 grind.

I canceled and renewed my account a bunch of times to even get that far.

Last edited:
I dunno Feralas was always decent in terms fo quests from 43ish to 50. And Ur'Goro you get some decent hunting quests around 46 - 47. Plus all the green makes the red of opposing players stand out like a sore thumb.

im pretty sure i've cleared all those quests before without hitting 50.

you say you've leveled with a buddy, so i'd assume you've faced that before, too...

Back