News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

Lotus* said:
wrong. at one point the player goes into an INV, and chooses medium armor before exiting.

Ok, true, you got me there. We did see the buckler for a second or two. The point i was getting at was that we didn't see the mediums from a third person perspective, so we've no idea what their jet trails currently look like.

:p

Kingky said:
T1 sucked. Before skiing it sucked. Before HO it sucked. Before the mine/disc it sucked. First time you booted up went to a vehichle station bought a hpc and signaled waiting for passengers it sucked. But you still played it till your eyes burned didn't you? T:V doesn't suck either. You just don't know how to play it.

actually, i quite enjoyed t1 even before I knew how to ski.

knuckle said:
Ok, true, you got me there. We did see the buckler for a second or two. The point i was getting at was that we didn't see the mediums from a third person perspective, so we've no idea what their jet trails currently look like.

:p

oh, well, in that case I apologize for what was a rather agressive post :>

the graphics look unsophistiated a bit cartooney...very weird compared to the videos seen before this

but then again I think he was playing in 800x600

I thought that movie was well done. Better than some of the other crap I've seen. I just hope we get a T2 Inventory system and not what looked like a Tribes type Inv system. Time will tell. :rawr:

experimental said:
helps new players,
assists new players :)
helps new players,
helps new players,
helps new players,
id just like to point out, we had to learn how to play on our own back in '99 or whenever it was, the game wasn't tailored to us, and yet its still around.. i know youre not the marketing guy, but tribes doesnt have to rely on the wretched masses to survive, when it is a good game, people will dedicate themselves to it even if it is a bit harder to learn..

i guess im just trying to say i see it as kindof being unfair to be able to understand it more easily as a newbie than as a vet, they can learn just as we did

at least thats kindof what ive gathered from your posts, i may be wrong, but all of this talk of it being easy for them and hard for us just isnt comforting

The "45 degree climb when holding foreward" thing concerns me.
You increase speed while skiing by FALLING. If you need horizontal adjustments to hit a slope properly, you are going to get partly VERTICLE thrust too? That directly counteracts gravity, and therefor slows you down, does it not? Sort of like final approach for an aircraft, when it nears touchdown and gets that ground effect and suddenly has more lift and so it "balloons up". Ballooning up seems a good way to describe the causes of "floatyness"
Why is a 45 degree climb the most intuitive? It's definitely not to me, even if the thrusters split is 50% foreward 50% up you arnt going to GO up at a 45 degree angle because of gravity, but I'm sure you understand that. Do the player models actually show which way the jets are thrusting graphically? Perhaps the newbs could just switch to outside view, see that "hey my thrusters push 90% foreward and only 10% up when i hold the foreward key!" and it should all make sense to them unless they are completely dense. T1 never really had a blunt way to describe what happened to thrust in combination with movement keys for people to catch on quickly.

CombatWombat said:
The "45 degree climb when holding foreward" thing concerns me.
You increase speed while skiing by FALLING. If you need horizontal adjustments to hit a slope properly, you are going to get partly VERTICLE thrust too? That directly counteracts gravity, and therefor slows you down, does it not? Sort of like final approach for an aircraft, when it nears touchdown and gets that ground effect and suddenly has more lift and so it "balloons up". Ballooning up seems a good way to describe the causes of "floatyness"
Why is a 45 degree climb the most intuitive? It's definitely not to me, even if the thrusters split is 50% foreward 50% up you arnt going to GO up at a 45 degree angle because of gravity, but I'm sure you understand that. Do the player models actually show which way the jets are thrusting graphically? Perhaps the newbs could just switch to outside view, see that "hey my thrusters push 90% foreward and only 10% up when i hold the foreward key!" and it should all make sense to them unless they are completely dense. T1 never really had a blunt way to describe what happened to thrust in combination with movement keys for people to catch on quickly.

drifting / aircontrol allows you to apply purely horizontal thrust while going down without applying any vertical thrust. just hold the direction you want to adjust without holding thrust.

So anytime you hold direction keys in the air you get pure sideways thrust, so it's like having 4 more jetpack buttons? Ok I can live with that. So I suppose with careful tapping of foreward/right mouse you could get any take-off angle you really wanted, no?

On a crazy obscure sidenote: What integration do you guys use? Runge Kutta4? My car sim doesnt like Euler = (

experimental said:
drifting / aircontrol allows you to apply purely horizontal thrust while going down without applying any vertical thrust. just hold the direction you want to adjust without holding thrust.

I'll buy it, I'll play it if that is where the comp is,

I think I'd like more gravity, but beta is the time for those changes I think

btw, whoever was playing sucked ass

CombatWombat said:
So anytime you hold direction keys in the air you get pure sideways thrust, so it's like having 4 more jetpack buttons? Ok I can live with that. So I suppose with careful tapping of foreward/right mouse you could get any take-off angle you really wanted, no?

On a crazy obscure sidenote: What integration do you guys use? Runge Kutta4? My car sim doesnt like Euler = (

keeping it simple. explicit euler.

we may upgrade if we notice any grappler physics instability, but realistically, everything else in the sim is very stable, so there is no need for RK4 or anything like that...

Gangrel said:
id just like to point out, we had to learn how to play on our own back in '99 or whenever it was, the game wasn't tailored to us, and yet its still around.. i know youre not the marketing guy, but tribes doesnt have to rely on the wretched masses to survive, when it is a good game, people will dedicate themselves to it even if it is a bit harder to learn..

i guess im just trying to say i see it as kindof being unfair to be able to understand it more easily as a newbie than as a vet, they can learn just as we did

at least thats kindof what ive gathered from your posts, i may be wrong, but all of this talk of it being easy for them and hard for us just isnt comforting

what would you prefer? easy for them and too easy for you? ;)

easy to learn, hard to master.

people will never get that through their heads experimental... if it's easy for any part, then logic says the game has been n00bified and skill will no longer be a part. Bah, but Tribes is more complex than that and in all seriousness, no sarcasm intended, we extend past the realm of logic.

Back