News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

if the IG guys were worried about the hardcore triber i dont think theyd have implemented the GH... it's cool.. don't get me wrong.. but if you think that the diehard t1 crowd is going to embrace it....

you have a lot more confidence in their open mindedness than I

I would agree with the trails, I dont' want to see a game of 32 people with ass trails flowing and crap. Let's just get some killing done, nice trails, well, it's new, but that doe'snt mean it looks good or makes the game any more appealing to new players.

KillerONE said:
No game was largely successful that started with 11 patches and the high-end computer requirement. (T2)

The T2 training missions did little to no good in actually helping new players.

T:V needs to be successful in 3 categories imo, in order of importance..

1. Stability
2. Performance (run with minimal detail loss on the majority systems made in the last 2 to 3 years)
3. Fun as hell.

I could add a 4th to my list, and that's introducing a system that helps the new player to function as a "Tribes" player. I think SP will be doing that, as well as the many changes to "streamline" Tribes gameplay. So I'll leave it out.

The relentless focus on physics is beyond me. Granted, I understand the importance of having a good physics system for Tribes, but we have lots of time before T:V release AND we have lots of tools to make those changes by the community after release if need be.

Expecting any more numbers than that of BF or UT is totally out of line. CS was a fluke and online numbers will never be duplicated by any game.

If T:V is successful, T:V 2 will probably be even MORE successful. But really, we are still waiting for our "first" Tribes game to introduce to the masses. Hopefully this ones it!

:)

:clap: :signed: :clap:
:bigthumb:

I watched the vid again (and again, and again...) tonight and I see a LOT of the potential thats in this build. The game is by no means finished, nor can we make any FINAL judgments based on this. However a few things I wanted to add:

Spinfusor speed: Guys, think for a second, wouldnt it make sense that the Spinfusor's speed might actually BE slower that far back in Tribes history? I mean you could LOGICALLY argue that couldnt you?

Newbie Physics vs Veteran Physics: I agree with Zoolooman in that there SHOULD be penalty for "falling badly" and such. The reason for this is that without some sense of accomplishment, a new player will get bored quickly. You have a Single Player campaign... USE IT!!! Hell, Half Life did! They even showed you the EXACT moves you needed to finish the obstacle course. C'mon guys, you are doing a superb job, I am confident you could come up with something, even pre-SP story, to get newer players up to speed! Have em fly through rings, fly up to a entranceway that would require them to master a slightly harder set of physics. Be creative! It certainly wont turn away the new players!

One of the things that worked LEAST in T1 and T2 were the tutorials, they were bland and basically pointless, and with the advances in technology and game engines you could do a HELL of a lot with them. Unreal Tournament even has them, and frankly its not a bad thing at ALL for new players!

Also if you want to keep new players, DITCH the T1 style inventory system! T2, for all its flaws, had the right idea that you could select a loadout (at a safe place of your choosing) and then jump on and off a pad and be back in the action. Even with favorites, a screen that makes you a sitting duck for too long is a bad thing. (that was one of my LEAST favorite things about T1, and we dont want to remake T1 do we? :D)

Again, you guys are doing a fantastic job, and Im excited about the prospects of T:V. Im also quite impressed that so many of the IG people are willing to come to this forum and actually talk to the people who care this deeply about the game.

Aw frell, its nearly 4am again... I REALLY have to stop reading TW before I go to bed :ugh:

Hey guys, first time reading this thread. I can't go through all of it right now, but I'll try to get to it when I get home. I apologize for the crappy editing, it was my first movie. For those wondering why I did the grappling hook things split screen like that, it was because the original footage for those scenes were 320x240 so if I stretched them, it would have looked like shazbot, but I wanted to include them because they were interesting (and even funny with me crashing into a wall).

Look at it for what it is worth. We have a LOT more footage that we'll be sharing soon from E3... So keep your eyes peeled.

Colosus said:
Hey guys, first time reading this thread. I can't go through all of it right now, but I'll try to get to it when I get home. I apologize for the crappy editing, it was my first movie. For those wondering why I did the grappling hook things split screen like that, it was because the original footage for those scenes were 320x240 so if I stretched them, it would have looked like shazbot, but I wanted to include them because they were interesting (and even funny with me crashing into a wall).

Look at it for what it is worth. We have a LOT more footage that we'll be sharing soon from E3... So keep your eyes peeled.

cant wait for that new footage.

I'd really like to see some more fast paced action on other levels and armors, etc.

This video was, in my mind, the most informative of any T:V video I've seen thus far. It also made me the most excited about T:V, compared to the other videos out there. Good job Colosus :)

The game looks pretty fun as it is. I think Zoolooman added to some good points in this thread and I am in general agreement with him.

One thing I am concerned about is the map's ceiling (the hex-mesh). I know it's been mentioned before, but I was hoping a dev could say something about it. Can we expect to see ceilings on most maps? (I certainly hope not)

I do have one suggestion for the jet pack, although it could possibly be counter to what you are trying to achieve. Make it so that the first 0.4 seconds of jet pack usage results in more of a T1 jet effect (ie. less vertical thrust), and have the jet pack increase its vertical thrust power to maximum (a gradient increase) over the next 0.6 seconds (all times stated are arbitrary). This would aid the veteran players in fine tuning their routes more effectively, as I personally find myself using the jet pack in quick short bursts in such situations anyways. Hopefully this will also preserve most of the effect you would like the newer players to experience. To counter the slower upward velocity that players may get from a standing position, perhaps make the player jump action be more "forceful"?

Again, I think the game already looks quite fun, and can't wait for beta.

I also appreciate the comments and the info given in this thread by experimental. You rock! :)

Last edited:
Colosus said:

<3

My idea of the T1 or T2 jetpack was that it never felt like I was flying around like a hummingbird, but I was Wile E. Coyote with a rocket strapped to my back on rollerskates being thrust over the terrain. Like a skateboarder carving ramps, not a helicopter. Know what i'm saying?

i'd have to say it looks like a lot of fun.

#1: dear tribalwar movie editors - less music volume, thanks.

#2: way too much air time - t:v is lookin like an air sim, not an FPS

#3: way too much ambient light - t:v is lookin cartoonish and too bright

otherwise, i like it :)

vid looks pretty cool.

things i was a little worried about was FOV distance, in T2 it was really way too short, but from the first few seconds of this vid it looks like you can see quite a long way, which is good. :)

the thing i am wondering about is the raster-like barrier that appears when you fly very high. is that to indicate a boundary that *nobody* can pass, or is it to indicate the boundary outside of which the carrier will lose his flag? it would be dissappointing if you were physically unable to fly/jet to very high altitudes because of these barriers.

i thought the new invy's were cool and will be far more userfreindly for new members because of the nice icons etc, but i def. agree that t2's invys are far better, unless of course they create fast fav's :)

and to my utter amazement i actually thought that the grappling hook was cool, i was totally fudgeing agaisnt it, but it looks like it can add a really cool demension to the game, like if you're falling with the flag w/o jets you can use it to save your ass. Game looks great so far, drop the crazy ass trails, it reminds me of oldschool when frank is fooling around with those baton's :-\

Crookram said:
the thing i am wondering about is the raster-like barrier that appears when you fly very high. is that to indicate a boundary that *nobody* can pass, or is it to indicate the boundary outside of which the carrier will lose his flag? it would be dissappointing if you were physically unable to fly/jet to very high altitudes because of these barriers.

I think I recall someone explaining that the barrier was map-specific in that case? Its an arena map, so you figure that it is the equivalent of the barrier in hockey. In that case it looks like the barrier at the top is to keep people "within viewing distance" :D

Also

ZenTseTse said:
i'd have to say it looks like a lot of fun.

#1: dear tribalwar movie editors - less music volume, thanks.

#2: way too much air time - t:v is lookin like an air sim, not an FPS

#3: way too much ambient light - t:v is lookin cartoonish and too bright

1) Hey! Cut Col some slack, it was a hurried job (to say the least!) :p But Im glad we have it NOW rather than LATER.

2) Yeah thats pretty much what everyone says so far

3) Hellooooo? All the maps are daytime maps??? ESPECIALLY in the case of the "arena" map, you'd EXPECT it to be overlit (how would people see your sweet MA in the dark?) :D

DOX said:
Yeh no idea why they regressed to t1 style inventory, t2 had it perfected

They combined them. You can go to an inv and select all your stuff when the arm thing comes to you, or you can preselect a loadout and never have the inv screen come to you. Just on and off, like T2.

Back