Shooting on VA Tech campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i wasn't trying to imply there was a quick fix. I was just pointing out that i think its more a problem to do with society, that really is at the core. That putting barriers up is not gonna solve it, and that it would only reduce everyones freedoms.

And yes i agree parenting is probably one of the key areas that improvement is needed.

Plain and simple more should be done to prevent things like this, I am not saying I have an answer nor am I saying that it's easily prevented, but I am 100% positive more can be done to prevent shootings.

exactly. supposedly in the oakland ghets cops are deploying acoustic sensor arrays that detect gunshots and triangulate to pinpoint shooting locations, then automatically forward to location to patrol cars. cops pull up at a shooting scene before the first 911 call is made.

not saying that tech is what would make sense on every single campus, but the point is our current security systems could get a LOT better just by getting smarter, deploying 21st century tech.

AFAIK the Israelis are like way ahead of us in this type of shit, having had to figure out how to preemptively identifying suicide bombers. maybe we should get their advice.

wp isnt meant to burn through skin, its just a side affect. the only thing you can do to stop wp from burning straight through you is to cover it heavily in vasoline or something similar to cut off the oxygen

Monday, April 16th 2007 8:19PM
Police update press on shootings
Joe Kendall, CT Managing Editor

Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said that there has been a preliminary identification of the shooter in the incident that took place in Norris Hall but would not definitively state whether the shooter was the same as the one that left two dead in West Ambler Johnston Hall. Flinchum back-tracked from his statement that the description Ambler Johnson Hall shooter did not match the description of the Norris Hall shooter, leaving it unclear as to whether police were actively pursuing a second suspect in the case.

Flinchum said that police were pursuing an additional "person of interest" but would give a description.

Two weapons were recovered, but police were not prepared to release their make or model, Flinchum said.

I am sure somewhere in this huge thread, someone mentioned the fact that if one or more of the students had a CCW permit they might have changed the outcome.

The fact is, the guy could have used any number of methods to to kill a bunch of people. He could have just lobbed a home made pipe-bomb into the class room and cleaned up that way.

I am sure we are going to hear about how he played counterstrike and first person shooters etc. How bad guns are. All the normal stuff.

The fact is, the guy was a ruthless killer and a colossal dipshit. It's easy to point our fingers at everything else but the truth. The truth is that our society is churning out more and more agressive, ruthless dipshits who don't give a fuck whether they live or die. I believe each one of these occurences speaks volumes about our current society. If we add up the murders in our own country, that number far exceeds any damage done by "terrorists". So tell me again, why are we spending billions upon billions of dollars outside of our country? Isn't it time that we concentrate on making America a better place to live again?

How about lower taxes, higher pay, and more reasonable rates for the basic things we need to survive? How about more money spent on education? How about we each take on the responsibility to raise our children correctly without subjecting kids to broken homes and various forms of hell created by different forms of addiction and abuse?

This type of event underscores just how crazy and out of control we can be as a nation. When I was growing up, a murder was a rare occurence. A serial killer was huge news. Now, mass killings are becoming commonplace and make the death count of a serial killer look like childs play.

Where are we going, America? And, will it be worth it when we get there?

If you're going to shoot 30 people, why not make it 30 people who work for a rabid 24/7 news organization, rather than 30 would-be engineers who might actually end up doing something useful?

You're completely right. Where were the campus police? They should've gone in and shot the shooter down or something. If they don't have the power to do that, they should be trained for it!

cal state fullerton police actually have policies in place to not fuck around with shooters at all. If a call is made that gun shots are fired they have the OK to go in full force guns a blazin'. no waiting for swat or anyone else.

But something like what happened today really can't be stopped no matter what you do. If someone really wants to fuck people over, they will find ways.

I am sure somewhere in this huge thread, someone mentioned the fact that if one or more of the students had a CCW permit they might have changed the outcome.

The fact is, the guy could have used any number of methods to to kill a bunch of people. He could have just lobbed a home made pipe-bomb into the class room and cleaned up that way.

I am sure we are going to hear about how he played counterstrike and first person shooters etc. How bad guns are. All the normal stuff.

The fact is, the guy was a ruthless killer and a colossal dipshit. It's easy to point our fingers at everything else but the truth. The truth is that our society is churning out more and more agressive, ruthless dipshits who don't give a fuck whether they live or die. I believe each one of these occurences speaks volumes about our current society. If we add up the murders in our own country, that number far exceeds any damage done by "terrorists". So tell me again, why are we spending billions upon billions of dollars outside of our country? Isn't it time that we concentrate on making America a better place to live again?

How about lower taxes, higher pay, and more reasonable rates for the basic things we need to survive? How about more money spent on education? How about we each take on the responsibility to raise our children correctly without subjecting kids to broken homes and various forms of hell created by different forms of addiction and abuse?

This type of event underscores just how crazy and out of control we can be as a nation. When I was growing up, a murder was a rare occurence. A serial killer was huge news. Now, mass killings are becoming commonplace and make the death count of a serial killer look like childs play.

Where are we going, America? And, will it be worth it when we get there?

Media attention never helps..........

I WANNA BE FAMOUS *BLAM BLAM BLAM*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back