Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague

While walking back from a meeting and saying "That was good how you let that guy go on" is about as much coaching as I'm talking about. There's no 'sessions' or formality to it. When I provide positives around the good things someone did it's hardly going to land me in court.

Oh.. we must view coaching and complimenting differently. Carry on then.

Yah like I said "without being critical". Sometimes it's what not said that can make a difference. Like Rusty's boss might say "hey I like how you used the provided walkway today when getting around the office". or if Rusty was dumb enough to intervene in a retarded annoying colleagues behaviour he might say "I like the way Joe communicated in that meeting, he gets the point across concisely" .

Performance Management is the term you never want to hear. It's just like coaching but you end up getting fired at the end of it :)

This is definitely not an issue that should go to HR (yet). It should be going to the supervisor. One of the issues is him taking over your meetings? Invite your supervisor into one of those meetings to prove your point, they will either notice how much he carries your team and disciplines you or he will take it from there with said employee

ok supervisors here is a question.... if a few team members informally mention problems working with another teammate, would you take their word for it or make some effort to get an understanding of the situation

if the supervisor wants to get involved so much and you don't like him/her/xir, you should suggest that the supervisor tell this problem employee how to behave. that should get him sent to HR, and then bye bye supervisor. :)

^ confirmed autist. groups tolerate an inundant level of slack as long as the members provide warm fuzzies. overbearing shitbags will make the 40 minute stretches of work between smoke breaks unbearable and instead of wasting half the day talking about the new marvel comic movie or survivor, they are forced to talk about the overbearing shitbag they're trying to ignore.

you do not know the suffering this entails

ok supervisors here is a question.... if a few team members informally mention problems working with another teammate, would you take their word for it or make some effort to get an understanding of the situation

You quickly learn to never trust things people tell you about another employee.

You quickly learn to never trust things people tell you about another employee.

i think you learn to trust noone, b/c the moment someone is in the hot seat, unless u guys are bff's outside of work, everyone will throw u under the bus in a heartbeat. that's why i dont lke going to supervisors and hr...

as i stated in the title, the guy is a friend, we've been growing closer and he is not easy to get through clearly, ppl approached me to talk to him b/c they thought i'd have the biggest influence over it without getting leadership involved.

admittedly i've never been in a court-room work-related situation, but i've had much more uncomfortable conversations with employees one on one in the past and we sorted it out without leadership.

we are all supposed to be adults, so i'll try to handle sitautions like that. i've seen first-hand what happens to ppl the moment leadership and HR get involved, and if someone rats on someone to leadership/HR, that person is automatically black-listed in any social settings at work, and like it or not, workplace relationships are what keep work bearable and issues fixed under the radar.

i maintain my stance.

At least you realize people will chuck you under the bus in a second. Then you express your faith that they won't in the second half of your post.

Good luck

Back