Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Ben Reed said:
Mighty strong assertion you're making there, Mr. DeWald, and one I cannot wholeheartedly agree with. What seems relevant in 4v4 may seem relevant to 10v10 at first glance, but like I said, in free-form games like Tribes, the little things that slip under the radar tend to make all the difference.
I have been playing Tribes competitively long enough to know where issues may arise in a 10v10 environment (if T:V is even 10v10). No one knows what the player limit will be until everyone gets a chance to play it.

Wulfen said:
What did he play? I can hop on my own UT2k4 server and fly around in a vehicle and say it was 'fun'. Is that core gameplay, me flying around with not much to do but that?
I take it you skipped over my comment because it answered your question and thus made your point moot?

Colosus said:
I believe Thrax's point was that you can either accept someone's opinion as a good measure of "fun" or you don't. But you can't base your own opinion of "fun" until you play it. A lot of people in this thread are already screaming about how it isn't fun, but have never played it.

Wait for open beta.

I've never screamed anything to the effect of "T:V'S GONNA SUCK!" Even at my most extreme, with the TL controversy and the like, I've never asserted that the omission or inclusion of certain elements would mean the doom of the game.

One phrase here that I think is used rather callously -- not by yourself, mind you, you tend to be a bit more prudent about using it -- is "Wait for beta!" I believe that after the T2 experience, where people voiced their concerns during the alpha and then shut up during the beta when they were having too much short-term fun to care, it is imperative that those of us who intelligently express skepticism about development decisions need to stick to our guns, and constantly probing for any elements of concern helps keep one objective to that degree -- or, at least, it does for me.

Colosus said:
I have been playing Tribes competitively long enough to know where issues may arise in a 10v10 environment (if T:V is even 10v10). No one knows what the player limit will be until everyone gets a chance to play it.

Mellow out, my boy, mellow out. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I disagree.

Ben Reed said:
I've never screamed anything to the effect of "T:V'S GONNA SUCK!" Even at my most extreme, with the TL controversy and the like, I've never asserted that the omission or inclusion of certain elements would mean the doom of the game.

One phrase here that I think is used rather callously -- not by yourself, mind you, you tend to be a bit more prudent about using it -- is "Wait for beta!" I believe that after the T2 experience, where people voiced their concerns during the alpha and then shut up during the beta when they were having too much short-term fun to care, it is imperative that those of us who intelligently express skepticism about development decisions need to stick to our guns, and constantly probing for any elements of concern helps keep one objective to that degree -- or, at least, it does for me.
The problem is that a lot of people are incapable of intelligently expressing their displeasure with a decision. "The repair kit is the core of Tribes and by removing it damages the 'fun' factor of the game" is not intelligent. It is idiocy. Now if you said, "Removing the repair kit takes away the longevity of an offensive force on the enemy terrain and thus forces a more defensive play style", it would add more credibility to your complaint (not YOU specifically).

My wait for beta is directed at those unable to form their opinions with proper information and instead spout broad, general statements in an attempt to voice their displeasure.

Well I read up to page 14 and have come to this conclusion. People who are arguing against change are afraid of having that "Just played Tribes for this first time" feeling we had so many years ago. I want that feeling back! Putting the same shazbot in the game that's been in the last two does not get that feeling back. I want new, I want fresh, I want to go "WTF was that!?!?!" the first week of playing.

Just because your old tired play style will be gone and you have to make up your own NEW FRESH STYLE doesn't make the game suck. Think back to the first days of Tribes and how freakin amazing and inspiring it all was. Don't you want that back again? I want to learn new shazbot, not kick the crap out of newbies for another 2 years just because I've been doing the same old tired shazbot for the last I can't even remember how long.

Dac346_99 said:
Someone like KP?

btw in all seriousness if you want an indepth review without anyone elses objectivity wait till beta when you can play.

So instead of basing it off these small reviews / people playing. You will base it off small nuances like no Targeting laser or Repair kit.

No, not KP, someone not employed by VUG or IG. I don't mind others objectivity, when it's based off the whole package, not some subset of features for a limited time at a developers conference.

The TL and RK are just the latest "small nuances". I'm still very ticked at the lack of client side scripting.

I take all the little facts the devs say about the game and weigh them against the reports from people who have played. And at this point, the bad outweighs the good IMO. I haven't heard a single thing that has excited me about the game from the devs. Every time they speak it seems to be about some new feature I don't agree with. It's not that I am anti-change, I just don't think the changes released up to this point are very good.

I don't like:
rover
Jump pads
oob
no hk
no tl
no client side scripting
gliding
the burnerator or whatever its called
team sizes (i know not set in stone but I bet 10 or less)
no unique names
no clan management
no traditional vpad (unless this was clarified, I didn't read much about that)
jump+jet (yes its configurable, I know. not a major issue, still don't like it)

Now that I think of it, I do like a couple of things:
I think the repair pack system is cool.
The ski swoosh sounds cool, but...

I've put much more thought in to this than just jumping on the TLRK bandwagon. I am willing to bet that I will like this game. But I bet that I won't play it for 2 years like I did each of the last 2 versions. But VUG doesn't care, at that point they will have collected their money from me.

RegisteredFruit said:
Non repair kit question: How large can the oob area be in comparison to T1's?
Not as big as T1, but large enough that you can get some multi hill runs in before you get to the play area. At a guess, I'd say the total map size on Fort is about 5K across. Maybe only 4K. I think in miles, so maybe about 2 miles give or take a bit. :shrug:

Thrax Panda said:
Well sure, you're right. The guy who played it and said it was fun is obviously wrong, and the guy who hasn't played it and is only reading a 2nd hand report that says it's fun and is hell bent on saying "doom to all" is probably right. I was blind. I'm sorry. I'll try to follow "the way" more closely in the future.

:rolleyes:

:rofl: way to not even come close to the point.

Father Ruckus said:
so uh thrax, in multi can we use the skins from Single, or is there a Helmetless option?
Undecided. Each tribe does have one alt skin which you may be able to select. It's less likely (but not impossible) that you'll be able to play as Julia or Daniel in MP. Perhaps you'll only be able to play as Julia if you're on an imperial team, or if you're kicking Ben Reed's ass :).

Thrax Panda said:
Not as big as T1, but large enough that you can get some multi hill runs in before you get to the play area. At a guess, I'd say the total map size on Fort is about 5K across. Maybe only 4K. I think in miles, so maybe about 2 miles give or take a bit. :shrug:
Not bad... add repair kits and I'll be happy again. I know you care about me.
:heart: :heart:

I guess I've been going overboard, but I just can't see the rationale for this =/

Thrax Panda said:
It's fun. And I have been playing Tribes for longer than just about anybody on these forums (Booty has probably been playing longer, but I'm not sure). Does that count? In fact, it's not just fun, it's amazingly astoundingly fun. Beyond my wildest hopes for how fun we could make it. Do you feel better?

Crom's is the closest I can call an objective opinion, as short as it may have been. While I hope you are right, I doubt you could say the opposite without any repercussions at the office.

I'm just waiting for you all to tell me something I want to hear, something that's exciting about the game. Something you are holding back for god knows what reason. Just spill the beans and most of us will shut up. Oh wait, fergot about the FUD machine. :p

Colosus said:
My wait for beta is directed at those unable to form their opinions with proper information and instead spout broad, general statements in an attempt to voice their displeasure.

I know that, and I'm not tryin' to rag on you. I'm just hypersensitive about the possibility of being generalized, in both real life and on the Internet. I know you're not specifically pointin' your finger at me.

Thrax Panda said:
Undecided. Each tribe does have one alt skin which you may be able to select. It's less likely (but not impossible) that you'll be able to play as Julia or Daniel in MP. Perhaps you'll only be able to play as Julia if you're on an imperial team, or if you're kicking Ben Reed's ass :).

She wants me, she knows where to find me... :browsmile

Ben Reed said:
He does have a point, in that people's standards of fun are not universably applicable, particularly when we're dealing with second-hand accounts. Crom may have had a blast for a little while, but (a) that was, in fact, a mere "little while", and (b) what he finds fun may not appeal to us.
Sure, but in the absence of other evidence shouldn't you give credence to what evidence you do have? Why is it valid to cry doom in the total void while not OK to sing praises with all the available evidence supporting you.

So if Timmy reports to you that he saw a zippo start a fire, and Billy tells you that's stupid, that while he has never seen a zippo, he is sure it couldn't start a fire, it's made of metal after all; who should you believe, Timmy or Billy?

My question is what has Billy done to make you follow him so blindly?

Thrax Panda said:
Sure, but in the absence of other evidence shouldn't you give credence to what evidence you do have? Why is it valid to cry doom in the total void while not OK to sing praises with all the available evidence supporting you.

So if Timmy reports to you that he saw a zippo start a fire, and Billy tells you that's stupid, that while he has never seen a zippo, he is sure it couldn't start a fire, it's made of metal after all; who should you believe, Timmy or Billy?

I don't follow ANYBODY blindly. I might push the opinions of people whose points I agree with or find particularly poignant, but the first and only person I ask seriously about "Is something fun?" is ME.

I've never said the game will suck. At the same time, I've never said the game will rule. I'm gonna hold the middle ground on this one, and I'm not gonna MAKE any concrete statement of "T:V rules" or "T:V drools" until I play it. Any statements I make regarding approval or disapproval of possible game implementations are part of my fair and balanced view of the issue based on what I'VE seen and heard. I'm just speculating and theorizing, and there's no harm in that.

I'm on page 14, so forgive me if this has already been suggested. You say the health kit has been taken out, largely because its not intuitive to those who don't already know about it. I suppose you are right. I've killed some people in pubs before because I needed/wanted a repair kit, and I could tell that they would have one. Thats really not very fair(I won't argue if its fun/right or not).

I think my biggest problem with losing the health kit is that in my eyes it gives an advantage to the defensive player, who always gets to spawn at his base; or atleast doesn't need to traverse the map. The health kit is VERY important on offense. Its often the difference between killing one extra light D, or another turret, or whatever I am attacking. It definately helps HO camp bases, which is an important part of tribes. I think the healthkit is very essential to offense, and defense too... but I think it will hurt offense much more(which we know from T2 is a bad thing).

Because of this problem, I think there needs to be someway to get health back other than the repair pack. If thats the only way on offense I can get health back then thats all your gonna see offense use, unless traversing the map is a non issue. So, I suggest the health kit stay gone. However, I suggest that everytime a player die he drops a "healthboost" patch which will allow you to recover lets say 10-25 health units, or 20% health(something similar in size to what a healthkit does). Everyplayer carries one of these and they are unuseable to the player while he is alive... ie, they are not for the carrier. However, when you kill a player you walk over where ever his loot lands and you get a health boost automatically, something small, but something so it is possible to regain health on offense while not using a repair pack.
Fling :D

Thrax Panda said:

You forgot the part where Johnny replaced the zippo with a bic because it was easier. :p

ok i've had my fun..good night.

vawlk said:
I bet that I won't play it for 2 years like I did each of the last 2 versions. But VUG doesn't care, at that point they will have collected their money from me.
You are oh so very wrong. I want you playing this for a year or 18 months, then the next for a year or 18 months, then... etc... Keeping you interested for a long time is key to that. I think we've done that actually, but we'll see.

Back