Vengeance Vengeance

Look at the games that GG endorses/puts out. 2D scrollers, simplistic chibi-style children's shooters, puzzle games, 3D children's platformers. That's what the people that work for GG enjoy. And that's what's easiest to produce for the GG community members.

Now imagine Tribes in their hands, with no one breathing down their necks telling them to make it dark and realistic. Handing over the IP to GG is a far cry for wistful thinking, a last hope that will remain an unrealized dream, since it's the only thing you guys have left to grab onto. Before you praise them for being able to put out the perfect game, take a moment to think about what they'd actually do.

Vir said:
Even in the supposed to be stage T:V was a game that catered to a certain old school style. Completely alienating all the new people that the series managed to bring in with T2. Totally opposite of what should have been done and what needs to be done yet again.

The truth is that T:V needed to hit a homerun. The single players WAS a good idea because it offered noobs a chance to learn the game and be slightly familiar before being slaughtered in mp. MP was not horrible, nor was it outstanding. It really needed to be excellent to satisfy the vets to such an extent that they would create clans and start looking for the best of the noobs and teaching them how to play better. The concept behind T:V was not a bad one, it was just executed dreadfully. And to release a game with that many problems and no effective strategy to 'rally the Vets' to be patient and continue mapping and modding and spreading the word to 'non-Tribes players' was pure rookie error. In my opinion, Guy Welch (and his lack of importance in Vug's eyes) is perhaps the biggest reason T:V failed. It could have been so easy to succeed but he dropped the ball badly. Not sure if he went to college or Uni for marketing, but if he did he should ask for his tuition back!

Last edited:
Vir said:
We have to talk about which approach is best. Even at the cost of our own personal likes and dislikes. We just can't leave it up to another dev team and hope they get it right this time. That just means another T:V.

I know, at some point, we have to strighten it out, but you do realize that we've been doing this for over 6 years now. "Which approach is best" is not a new question around here, its one we've been asking for a long time and still have no answer. We prolley won't solve it any time soon either, but time is a precious commodity for us right now and I don't think its one we can afford much liberty with. There are more basic, and relevant goals we should be seeking as of this moment. It's "cart before the horse" all over this thread. You're all discussing how the game should look and play, sound and feel, but we are so far from another sequel right now, with so many hurdles in our way, it should be the last thing on our mind. We don't even have the Tribes IP, do you realise how that makes figuring out if T1 or T2 was better irrevelant? Who cares if Marweas and Thrax made mistakes, if Irrational Games failed at recreating Tribes. There is a giant foul smelling french dragon blocking the way to our beloved princess and we're all arguing over who's fault it is and who should get the medal for saving her.

2 yeas ago, Marweas and Thrax were hero's to this forum for managing to resurrect one last kick at the can to keep Tribes from dieing after T2. Tribes 2 caused tremendous controversy over what Tribes is supposed to be and a large part of this very forum didn't think Dave Georgeson's vision was it. When we heard that members of our very own Community like KineticPoet, of the imfamous Imperial Elite, was in charge of design, we all thought we'd finally be getting a proper sequel to T1 (those of us who hated T2). We were wrong and that's what I mean by "All Star" mentality. Right now we have the same thing occuring all over again, this community putting all their hopes in the idea that Garage Games will know what Tribes is... afterall they created T1... surely they'd know. Well, I doubt it and then Garage Games with be our newest "Dave Georgeson".

said it a million times

need the original t1 dev team to make the real T2

which will never happen, unless one of us wins the lottery, and pays an insane amount of money for them to do it.

I wonder how many of you have played either T2 classic or Version 2? There are some outstanding games being played as we speak. For those who have not played in the last year or so, just load it up a give it a whirl. I keep reading about 'those damn T2 ue's' which are such a rare occurence these days, perhaps 1 every hundred hours of game time for me. I worry that many of you are overlooking T2 as it is today! And THAT would be a real shame.

People tend to glorify the whole UE situation. Fuck, I was playing on a 400mhz, V3 machine when I got T2(beta) and fuck, I never got UE's.

I should load up T2 again, been playing T1 a lot more lately though, so we'll see ;)

I still think T2 is the best of the series. When I was first playing it, I didn't care about winning, I was having enough fun just using the jetpack, hopping in a vehicle, and thinking I was part of a war game. When I started playing it in competition, I was surprised at how intense it was. I still think it is the best game I have ever played online (then it would be CS1.3, TFC, and then probably T1).

Also, when I first bought T2, I had no idea about computers. I didn't have my video drivers installed fully and that's why I got my UEs. After that, I ran it on a complete POS PC but I still loved it.

i am gonna go in a corner and lay in the fetal position, I do not know what else to do. I wish Tribalwar could buy the Tribes Franchise.

Now is the time, you don't start talking about it after the game has been announced and the idea has already been pitched. By the time we heard about the IP being aquired by someone else they will have already had their concept drawn up.

Also just going back to T2 isn't good enough, even with as much as I liked T2 I wouldn't want to just recreate that. I want T2 creatively taken to the next level, the real Tribes 3.

"Tribes 2 caused tremendous controversy over what Tribes is supposed to be and a large part of this very forum didn't think Dave Georgeson's vision was it." And you know what, it didn't matter. The game boldly moved on and basically said you can be with us or we're going to leave you behind.

I agree with "Tribes the Xerox PARC of the gaming world." I stood next to the EA guy at the 2005 CES show and said that BF2 was basically Tribes, and he totally agreed.

guy.welch said:
I agree with "Tribes the Xerox PARC of the gaming world." I stood next to the EA guy at the 2005 CES show and said that BF2 was basically Tribes, and he totally agreed.

The BF guys admitted publically in interviews for the first game that they took their inspiration from Tribes2 vehicles. It's kind of neat how another company can recognize what is popular but certain other individuals can't for some reason.

Last edited:
guy.welch said:

In hindsight, do you see that you made several mistakes? Your marketing skills could have made a significant difference and yet you failed in the simplest of tasks.

Vir said:
Also just going back to T2 isn't good enough, even with as much as I liked T2 I wouldn't want to just recreate that. I want T2 creatively taken to the next level, the real Tribes 3.

"Tribes 2 caused tremendous controversy over what Tribes is supposed to be and a large part of this very forum didn't think Dave Georgeson's vision was it." And you know what, it didn't matter. The game boldly moved on and basically said you can be with us or we're going to leave you behind.
i agree 100%

I don't game much anymore, but i seriously wish another Tribes games, or tribes-like game to be made, with the basic t1/t2c style and good graphics. That would probably get me to play a bit more.

Wishful thinking, i know right?

NetAtNite said:
In hindsight, do you see that you made several mistakes? Your marketing skills could have made a significant difference and yet you failed in the simplest of tasks.
Lay off. No one cares what COULD have been, we want to know what CAN be NOW.

NetAtNite said:

Stop trying to find a scapegoat.

Back