UT2k4 mapper considering mapping for T:v. What would you like to see?

ZenTseTse said:
welcome aboard, Red Dwarf.

I did a bit of ut2k4 mapping myself, including for shattered oasis mod and a bunch of vCTF stuff.

Tribes is my real mapping home, tho :)
And this is what makes Tribes the best gaming community out there. The level of gameplay, the competition and the client created content. Makes me all tingly inside just thinkin about it.

Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we'll probably see alot of remakes early on, but I'm fine with that. I have no doubts that in the very near future there will be plenty of quality maps and content coming from the community. I already like what I see and hear, and if it's any indicator, people could keep pumping content into this game for a long time coming. And I like it. 20 days and counting, let the GG's begin.

Red Dwarf said:
I have noticed that some posters use their date joined as a ticket for wisdom. I have played T1 and T2 for a long time. I have only just joined but does that make my opinion less worthy than theirs?

Even newbs have good suggestions you know ;)

Yes

And since you've played Tribes before that answers my question as to your experience in playing the game.

Be interested in seeing your work.

Red Dwarf said:
I was interested in what people would like to see in a T:V map.
One of the maps that I wanted to see but we never got done was what would essentially be a gigantic scale skate park with loads of ramps and half pipes. There would be smooth flowing transitions between different levels, gigantic banked curves that you could ski around. Big grappling posts, etc... I suppose it would end up being a smaller map, perhaps on the scale of Emerald (you could use standard terrain that was artificially smoothed with a cement texture for most of it). $.02

ok, small vote.

Should the flag be easy enough to ski in and swipe it out or should it be in a smallish room that requires you to coordinate attacks?

the first option will end up being a high scoring match
the second would be low

the first would not require a great deal of coordinated teamwork
the second would.

Some of the maps I have payed so far dont require teamwork. Its just one very good player who shoots in at high speed, gets the flag and hes gone. If you broke the flag cappers speed meaning he would have to slow down and then start from scratch again it would be hard to cap.

I am sort of building up an idea of a map that would be good for a first attempt. I am unsure of which way to go with the base though.

I have seen people compain at how easy it is to cap in most maps.

Personally I like a flag base to have multiple entry points and open spaces. This is a little hard to do in Tribes as its mainly outdoors.

So, do you ruin the flow of the map by placing the flag indoors but making it better for teamwork, or do you go for the flag in/on a room thats easy enough to get?

Views please.

BTW, love the game so far but I really hope they sort some of the problems I have been experiencing such as the inv crashes, sound problems and most importantly the netcode.

Red Dwarf said:
BTW, love the game so far but I really hope they sort some of the problems I have been experiencing such as the inv crashes, sound problems and most importantly the netcode.
All of those should be sorted in the next beta build.

Sorry, havent been here long, are you part of the dev team?
Next beta build?? I thought they were near to completion? Personally, I would open the next beta then to the public (not just fileplanet) to iron out the last bits and hold back from release.

Most of the true players would agree on a delay as they still have the beta to wet their appetites. Look what happened to T2, we dont want a repeat of that :)

I saw there was a skinning contest also. I like that sort of thing as it promotes the communities work. Just a shame it wasnt included.

Red Dwarf said:
Next beta build?? I thought they were near to completion? Personally, I would open the next beta then to the public (not just fileplanet) to iron out the last bits and hold back from release.

Most of the true players would agree on a delay as they still have the beta to wet their appetites. Look what happened to T2, we dont want a repeat of that :)

I saw there was a skinning contest also. I like that sort of thing as it promotes the communities work. Just a shame it wasnt included.
Yeah he's a dev and the next build is going to be the release build from what i understand.

Thrax Panda said:
One of the maps that I wanted to see but we never got done was what would essentially be a gigantic scale skate park with loads of ramps and half pipes. There would be smooth flowing transitions between different levels, gigantic banked curves that you could ski around. Big grappling posts, etc... I suppose it would end up being a smaller map, perhaps on the scale of Emerald (you could use standard terrain that was artificially smoothed with a cement texture for most of it). $.02
Ooo what about a big downhill slope covered in snow with a bunch of rails and things to ski off of? We could call it Cool Boarders: Vengeance!

Red Dwarf said:
Yes, I'm the producer. Welcome to the community where 90% of the people are nice sane normal folk, and 10% are idiots. Please don't feed the idiots. ;)

RedDwarf, check this out: http://www.tribes2maps.com/cgi-bin/survey.cgi?id=2

that's a poll of what players wanted from t2maps.com

it isnt obviously gonna cover the entire tribes community... but also beware paying too much attention to folks here.

this place is a tad, ummm, tilted.

in simple terms, keep the flags up and try not to allow too many chances for folks to "turtle" with the flag inside complex bases.

bases oughta be more like... bunkers, and the skiing should be very friendly, but also allow for special routes by those who study the map a bit.

Back