I really hate DBA's

Programmers vs admins vs dbas vs security folks - one answer - learn to do it all.
End of story.

This. I'm no god at any of it (though I've worked with a few who are now mostly at Google), and having done telco network ops for 20+ years now (though technically I'm not really doing the day-to-day stuff now, more making sure things are in place for the Indians to flow-chart their way through), I've absolutely had to tip my hand at being all of those things to some degree or another. I've built servers, designed DBs, optimised them as needs changed, plugged into other people's ones, built web apps, portals, reports, and I can even make a pretty mean excel graph if it doesn't crash first and then link it into a powerpoint to explain to execs "why that thing".

It's really not that complicated if you have half a brain and can adapt, and if you want to be any good at any of them, you need to know how all the rest of it works anyway.

It's all interdependent.

Just fucking retire already.
I'd like too, but I'm hanging on because it's a 6 figure salary with the medical benefits. That day will eventually come.

At first I didn't mind the Mr. Dementia because we thought he would eventually code, but that didn't happen. Others were telling me being the manager was a PITA, so I resigned myself to not getting it. But now I'm totally pissed, especially playing the game of status update. It's goes like this.

Manager: What are you working on?
Me: This program, that program, new file, process.
Manager: When will it be done?
Me: A week.
Manager: Can you send me an e-mail of how it all works? ( I don't send an e-mail)

Manager next day: What was it you were working on again? (Dementia, doesn't remember)
Me: This program, that program.
Manager: Oh yeah, can you tell me how long it will take?

And when you finish, it all starts over again. What gets me is when you do something really good, solve a complicated problem, they don't care. It's back to "when will it be done?" It's the same robotic conversation over and over when the manager isn't in the trenches with the programmers. I actually do less work now because of this cycle.

Last edited:
Ngfm what project methodology does your company use?
Mostly custom.

We have 3 BAs (Business Analysts). Requests come from the users to a help desk system (custom written in a web language). The BAs see the tickets, assign them to programmers. From the HD (help desk) ticket, we create a work order in our Pick system and program against it logging our time in a custom written log system. Once the coding is done, we write up a QA (Quality Assurance), close the work order, move it to QA status in the HD system. One of the other programmers does the QA (testing the code), the BA accepts this (they also test), and it moves back to the help desk department to patch to our live box and close the ticket. This design was influenced by Sarbanes Oxley rules from a few years ago. Back then we had auditors coming in all the time checking our procedures. We still do, but now we're a private company, so it's not as big of a deal.

Last edited:
I'd like too, but I'm hanging on because it's a 6 figure salary with the medical benefits. That day will eventually come.

At first I didn't mind the Mr. Dementia because we thought he would eventually code, but that didn't happen. Others were telling me being the manager was a PITA, so I resigned myself to not getting it. But now I'm totally pissed, especially playing the game of status update. It's goes like this.

Manager: What are you working on?
Me: This program, that program, new file, process.
Manager: When will it be done?
Manager: Can you send me an e-mail of how it all works? ( I don't send an e-mail)

Manager next day: What was it you were working on again? (Dementia, doesn't remember)
Me: This program, that program.
Manager: Oh yeah, can you tell me how long it will take?

And when you finish, it all starts over again. What gets me is when you do something really good, solve a complicated problem, they don't care. It's back to "when will it be done?" It's the same robotic conversation over and over when the manager isn't in the trenches with the programmers. I actually do less work now because of this cycle.

once i realized that it doesnt matter if i do a good job or bad job or do something easy or hard, i just stopped trying to impress people. Im now that dev in the back who like gets his work done and goes home or works from home. No one knows if my work takes an hour or 10. i log time and check in code at the end of the day.

Its actually pretty sweet when i get a week long project done in a few days and no one has anythign else for me to do so i just do whatever

i just found out i can only import 2048 mp3s at a time onto my 32gb jeep stereo.

so now i gotta put all the music on multiple sticks and wipe, restart ... ugh

The biggest problem is the 'project manager'. She is a DBA with 0 technical skills that has apparently never headed up any project, and she's turned what was essentially a minor firewall issue into a full migration thats not going to fix the issue and has attracted the attention of management.

1. Your writing needs to be more engaging with the readers. For example, What shape are her boobs? Are they firm? Do they look firm? What does she smell like?

2. When writing blog try starting with a question? For example "Have you ever found an annoying bitch at work really sexy?"

Mostly custom.

We have 3 BAs (Business Analysts). Requests come from the users to a help desk system (custom written in a web language). The BAs see the tickets, assign them to programmers. From the HD (help desk) ticket, we create a work order in our Pick system and program against it logging our time in a custom written log system. Once the coding is done, we write up a QA (Quality Assurance), close the work order, move it to QA status in the HD system. One of the other programmers does the QA (testing the code), the BA accepts this (they also test), and it moves back to the help desk department to patch to our live box and close the ticket. This design was influenced by Sarbanes Oxley rules from a few years ago. Back then we had auditors coming in all the time checking our procedures. We still do, but now we're a private company, so it's not as big of a deal.
So, waterfall

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

i just found out i can only import 2048 mp3s at a time onto my 32gb jeep stereo.

so now i gotta put all the music on multiple sticks and wipe, restart ... ugh

why not just put all your music on one stick and leave it plugged in?

Must be nice to be working for a bitch and making more than 40k a year. Fuck off stuck up ass holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Your writing needs to be more engaging with the readers. For example, What shape are her boobs? Are they firm? Do they look firm? What does she smell like?

2. When writing blog try starting with a question? For example "Have you ever found an annoying bitch at work really sexy?"

1. her boobs are in a race to her waist. They are firm like bags of sand. they look like firm bags of sand. She smells like she uses douche for hairspray

2. Point taken.

Sounds like you have a crush on her. Have you tried talking to her about the erotic thoughts you about her? Sometimes talking can help.

why not just put all your music on one stick and leave it plugged in?

i have some that i plug in once in a while but if i unplug to update maps or swap sticks it will never start again where it left off. the random sucks, i can hear the same 20 of 5000 songs almost daily. so i strip the id tags and rename all the songs randomly then store them and listen in standard order. only way for variety .. long road trip coming soon.

i use mem sticks to update or listen to new music and the HD always returns to where i left off. pain in the ass but there's no such thing as shuffle and playlists dont work

long road trip coming soon.
Rent a car, try for an upgrade that has Sirius/XM radio (usually on the full size cars). Then you can channel surf and the signal doesn't go out (unless you pass under a bridge) because it's satellite.
Or
Bring headphones, plug into your phone, stream music from SomaFM: Commercial-free, Listener-supported Radio or Pandora. Groove Salad is a good channel, doesn't repeat that much. Or you create a channel on Pandora.

NGFM reminds me of my first job out of school. Bunch of fucking wastes of space doing the bare minimum and hoping no one notices. "Not my job" was the defacto response when anything hard came up.

When you're the smartest person in the room, it's a fucking problem. I made a conscious choice to leave that world 6 years ago and challenge myself. Obviously takes risk but I've added a 0 to the end of my salary, so there's that...

Back