[Brink]New FPS from Splash Damage

Splash damage has done a lot to combat much of the 'annoying crap' that i've found in modern shooters lately.

Gone are the idiot snipers who sit on a hill for 20 minutes, mindlessly 1-shotting the enemies. As are the auto-win 1hit knife kills. In fact it's been said that the only sure 'one hit kill' in this game is a high powered rifle hit to the head of a light class. Grenades no longer cause immense damage. They're more of a knock-down/interrupt so you can finish the job yourself. 'Heavy' characters will be able to absorb a lot of damage, and prevent the super-CoD-knifers from becoming prominent. It seems like they have a lot of checks and balances there to prevent the stupid crap that makes other games frustrating to play.

As far as the smart system is concerned, it's been stated that those who learn to do the moves themselves will have a significant advantage over the people who merely hold the 'smart button' down and have the computer do the work. I'm not sure how true this is in practice, but it sounds good. As far as not being 'innovative', i'm not so convinced that that is true. The ability to aim your mouse up to vault over, down to slide under, left to wall jump and climb, opens up a lot of options that simply aren't available with the "press space to climb over", canned animation available in other games. The best part about it: You can still shoot while pulling off these moves. TOo many times in CoD etc.. auto-climb has caused me to die.

Is it the most innovative and awe-inspiring game out there? No. Are they doing enough to combat the annoying garbage in other games, while still making things interesting and fresh? Absolutely.

I look forward to this game, without putting much hope into it lasting me for years upon years.

If there's no spectator mode on launch, I might just ragequit on the spot. If not, I'll be playing / doing media for this game as hard as I can. Let's hope it works out :)

If there's no spectator mode on launch, I might just ragequit on the spot. If not, I'll be playing / doing media for this game as hard as I can. Let's hope it works out :)

I'll be playing this for a few months (at least) regardless, because the other FPS games out there (save for maybe Tf2) are utter trash right now.

I know we at area51gaming will probably have 2 competition teams at the very least. It'll be nice to play a game like this without the distraction of something else.

There seem to be a lot of other teams that are very interested in this game as well, so i'm sure there will be some nice footage out there for you guys to grab.

I think so Cael, it also appears that firing from the hip and firing while jumping over things is encouraged.

Encouraged yes, but wildly ineffective. you can also fire during all SMART movements (reportedly), but again, don't expect to out-kill someone who's iron-sighting you.

yeah pretty much. It doesn't handcuff you, like the umpteen times i've been killed in every call of duty game because of the dreaded 'auto-climb', but you can't be flipping and flying around with 100% accuracy either.

New trailer:

For those of you saying the SMART system looks 1-dimensional, look at the move the guy executes at around ~5:30 :D

well considering this qualifies as a "bunch" of bananas...
banana-bunch1.jpg

zero recoil on the weapons, pretty typical of console shooters these days.

They've over used and abused the sound dampening effect, it's fine to have the sound cut out from an explosion to simulate ringing in the ears but not from just being shot. Too much up and down on the sound effects.

They've over used and abused the sound dampening effect, it's fine to have the sound cut out from an explosion to simulate ringing in the ears but not from just being shot. Too much up and down on the sound effects.

I'd have to agree, the sound dampening was overkill.

With all their hype over the smart move system to vault over walls and objects it just doesn't look that fluid and not at all like their glorious hand crafted cut scenes.

There's zero skill to it as well, compare and contrast to things like unreal tournaments dodge jump, or even rocket jumping in quake. I've seen more fluid "trick" movements in other games, granted it takes practice and good timing to pull off - not just holding down a "smart move" button.

Brink looks incredibly generic, they're leaning too hard on the setting and the character customizations. It's probably a good thing they're focusing on 8v8 multiplayer because they're going to have a pretty small community playing this game beyond the initial first month rush.

Err, is that a mis-type? Modern 'console shooters' are call of duty, crysis 2, bad company. All of which have recoil. 'Classic pc shooters' are tribes, quake, unreal. None of which have any recoil whatsoever.

Agreed!

I've seen more fluid "trick" movements in other games, granted it takes practice and good timing to pull off - not just holding down a "smart move" button.

This has been brought up and squashed multiple times in this thread, go back and check it out.

Back