For the first time I gave 0 tip.

you're supposed to just leave a dime, so the waiter knows that you know you're supposed to tip and do, but they did a shitty job

On the flip side I had one of the best experiences at a restaurant (On The Border) a week ago. This was a Friday night at 6:30. The restaurant was busy but we were seated in 6 minutes. The waitress was at our table in one minute friendly and outgoing asking for our drink order. 3 minutes later the drinks were at the table and she wanted to know if we were ready to order. We were not and asked for more time. She then returned 4 minutes later and took our order. She then came back right after putting the order in and topped off my ice tea and brought fresh Pepsi to the others.

I am pretty sure we only waited 8-10 minutes for our food, in the mean time she brought soup and topped off the drinks again. Once the food arrived she topped the drinks again. The food was exceptional. I had the Carne Asada Steak Tacos...mmmmmm. She topped us off 2 more times during the meal (our glasses never got anywhere near empty) and then promptly brought the bill and cleared the dishes. She was prompt in cashing out and it was such an enjoyable meal I tipped her 30%. I wish all meals out would go so smoothly.

Due to my travels I eat out a lot. I find that the worst of the worst when it comes to service are places like Applebees, TGI Fridays, Bob Evans (if they have more than 4 customers in the restaurant at the same time), O'Charey's (50% of the time), and Longhorn Steak House. I know there are more than that but I cannot think of them now.

most people like to relax and converse at a restaurant

the timetable doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all - if you were engaged in conversation you wouldn't have noticed the time pass. you must have been itching to leave.

if you let the waiter know you are in a hurry they can expedite things. instead you were a totally passive aggressive bitch about it - nice.

I went out to eat with my sister and the bill was like $42, well my sister paid with 3 20's. This cunt waitress hid for, im being completely literal, 25 fucking minutes hoping we'd just get annoyed and leave her with the $18 tip.

Even if I think service is shitty I still tip 15% nearly all the time. I worked in restaurants before doing prep/line work and I got to know most of the waitresses so I'm aware how they make their money.

There's only one time I gave a shitty shitty tip, it was at some Chili's. Waitress seated us, and we were there a good 15 minutes before we got to order drinks. Drinks took another 20 minutes on top of that and then when we ordered we were waiting close to another hour (50 minutes or so) for our food. Drink-topping/refills never happened, and she was pretty much gone most of the time. She was never around at all, and from when we got in to when we got out was little over 2 hours for two people.

One thing that really bugs me at a restaurant. When I am finished I don't expect to be held hostage while the bill is processed. There is an easy way to resolve this however. If I have to wait longer than I feel is reasonable for the bill to arrive (or return) I simply get up and head towards the front door and wait. This always gets prompt attention as it lets the person know without a doubt you are in a hurry to leave.

Keep in mind a LOT of people prefer to sit and relax for at least 10-15 minutes after a meal so wait staff will often take their time as to not make you feel rushed. You shouldn't punish them for that in my opinion. Since I differ in my habits I place the burden on myself to speed things up. I find that getting up and standing near the door establishes this in a polite way because it invites conversation. Usually the person will rush up and apologize and it gives me the chance to smile and say "no problem at all i'm just in a bit of a hurry".

If I feel the need to zero tip I will not do so without involving the manager.

maybe if you and your herpes-loaded girlfriend weren't so incredibly boring, you would have things to talk about while you waited for your check

I leave a negative tip, so the waiter has to pay for my meal.

/Akuma.

I work as a waiter, make 3.75 an hour. I need all the tips I can get to make any sort of decent money. Then again, I also don't suck ass. It's not that hard to wait tables.

most people like to relax and converse at a restaurant

the timetable doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all - if you were engaged in conversation you wouldn't have noticed the time pass. you must have been itching to leave.

if you let the waiter know you are in a hurry they can expedite things. instead you were a totally passive aggressive bitch about it - nice.

finally someone said it.

ender, you obviously went out looking for something to nitpick because you aren't social.

yeah waiting tables isn't that hard. The only time I was tipped 10% was the busiest I've ever been but I still got 15-20% out of all my other tables that night.

I tipped this bitch a dollar last night at stake and shake because we were her only table, never received a refill (of water wtf?) and she was talking with her coworkers. She also swept underneath our table while we were there which is really fucking rude. My manager would have chewed me out for doing that. I should have left nothing

Btw, i think it's funny you guys time how long it takes for each thing to take place. Do you have a fucking stopwatch? I like to just sit down and enjoy the meal.

More than half of Americans are in the service sector, but since service consists of focusing on someone else's needs, on the whole we just plain suck at it.

Back