Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Toward the end of the T2 dev cycle we had a box signing party where we all grabbed gold metallic pens and joined an assembly line to sign something like 200 boxes for promotional purposes. Snowlepoard was taking some good natured flack for taking a long time to make a paw print on each of those boxes but we pushed on until they were all signed.

In true Dynamix style we were drinking Dom Pérignon out of Dixie cups.

p.s. Its just bizzare to see those pictures. It seems like they were taken a lifetime ago.

marweas.jpg

Ah... what a fun trip down memory lane... Yo to the Daves, Chris, and all the rest!

Little know facts:

The ski physics borkitude in T2 was an accident (bug) -- in T1 the player was treated as a sphere and the way the collision system worked would "skip" over the ground (think of skipping a rock), so the travel friction while continuously jumping made it so the ground didn't slow you down. In T2 we did a line-swept box for player collision, and this meant the player was in contact with the ground much more. When I did the final T2 patch I added a flag on the player datablock that would allow T1 style physics (basically I just didn't apply longitudinal friction if the jump key was down). At that stage in the game that represented a fundamental balance shift, so we didn't turn it on by default.

GG actually did want to do another Tribes game and we were deep in talks about it with Sierra (this is way back). The end result of that discussion actually ended up only being the final T2 patch. Too bad, too, cuz it was going to rock :).

But I bet you could buy the entire Tribes IP, including source code for Tribes 1 and 2, for under $4 million.
I agree, with the possible exception of the T2 code. The legalities of ownership of that code are tied up with GG, and I'm not sure if there are sale provisions in the original contracts or not. Anyway, you'd be better off using TorqueX anyway.

The other thing about buying the IP from VUG right now is that they don't need money. That Blizzard printing press is keeping them in the black for the indefinite future, so what incentive do they have to give up an IP right now? Then again, who wouldn't want 2 or 4 million extra cash.

If we're going by sales, he kicked all of our asses big time. T2 sales = (T1 sales + TV sales + TAA sales) * 3.

Who's your daddy now?

Completely misleading everytime someone brings this up. T2 ONLY got huge sales because of the incredible buildup and momentum from Tribes (and all the commercial, enthusiasm thereof). Had it been released first who knows what it's impact would have been but definitely not as good as it did.

That said I enjoyed it well enough because I never had UE problems. Base++ was a step in the right direction and classic was the best "base" version.

TR2 still owns.

Toward the end of the T2 dev cycle we had a box signing party where we all grabbed gold metallic pens and joined an assembly line to sign something like 200 boxes for promotional purposes. Snowlepoard was taking some good natured flack for taking a long time to make a paw print on each of those boxes but we pushed on until they were all signed.

In true Dynamix style we were drinking Dom Pérignon out of Dixie cups.

p.s. Its just bizzare to see those pictures. It seems like they were taken a lifetime ago.

Paws, like this? We had a bunch of the posters Frohm had framed, included one with the signatures in gold leafing pen on it.

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

T:V introduced me to the downside of seeing what happens when someone asks for input and pretends to listen.
See, now you're about the Nth person to say this. We absolutely listened to some people and ignored others. There is no doubt about that, but we had no choice. We'd get suggestions like:
  • More Powerful Vehicles
  • Weaker Vehicles
  • Don't change the power of the vehicles
So we'd listen to one of those three, and the other two would say :mecry: you never listen to us.

I think at times that the biggest mistake we made was trying to work with the community at all. We made a commitment to try to keep you guys in the loop as much as possible, and for the most part it went well, but some people gave us nothing but grief for it.

I don't do that anymore. It's 5 screen shots for IGN every month and a heap of silence for the community.

I agree, with the possible exception of the T2 code. The legalities of ownership of that code are tied up with GG, and I'm not sure if there are sale provisions in the original contracts or not. Anyway, you'd be better off using TorqueX anyway.

The other thing about buying the IP from VUG right now is that they don't need money. That Blizzard printing press is keeping them in the black for the indefinite future, so what incentive do they have to give up an IP right now? Then again, who wouldn't want 2 or 4 million extra cash.

A lot of guys who were keepers of the IP over at Vivendi have moved on to other companies in the last year. Last time I checked, VG has not interest in letting it go (as of quite recently), nor is anyone actively seeking it out, the risk is too great on the return on investment in my opinion.

heh. I hope Daryl's still going strong somewhere. Those paw prints were hysterical. Smudges and gold paint everywhere.

I'll never forget the wall o'beer that appeared during T2 beta (and which eventually spawned the Dom Perignon that Tommy mentions). I wish that we could rumor that beer is required to get into the beta of all the games I work on... ;)

Hi there, Tim and Mark!

See, now you're about the Nth person to say this. We absolutely listened to some people and ignored others. There is no doubt about that, but we had no choice. We'd get suggestions like:
  • More Powerful Vehicles
  • Weaker Vehicles
So we'd listen to one of those three, and the other two would say :mecry: you never listen to us.

I think at times that the biggest mistake we made was trying to work with the community at all. We made a commitment to try to keep you guys in the loop as much as possible, and for the most part it went well, but some people gave us nothing but grief for it.

I don't do that anymore. It's 5 screen shots for IGN every month and a heap of silence for the community.

Why did you listen to anyone at all instead of just following the trend that sales proved to you?

• More Powerful Vehicles
  • Weaker Vehicles

someone call the WAAAHHHbulence

Back