Open Source Tribes 1 using V12 engine

Something interesting I came across on the garagegames website:

Are there additional restrictions?

Yes. Your product can only be sold on GarageGames. It cannot be posted on other retail sites such as MSN Zone, EA.com, Download.com, or Yahoo without being brokered by GarageGames. You cannot release a team based, first person action game until 8/15/2001. If your product is good enough to be offered to a publisher for box distribution, it must be offered to Sierra/Havas first.

So, if a kickass game is made, and Garage Games wants to run it through retail channels, guess who gets ahold of it.

daerid46 said:
Well, who's interested?

Thoughts, ideas, feedback are all welcome.

It would be a project done by the community, for the community.

No, this isn't a Tribes2 flame. Just a project I thought might be appealing to some of the T1 vets out there, since Dynamix is dead.

<sigh> When I said this in IRC, I DID NOT MEAN IT. It wont happen. Sierra would sue you until you were old and gray.

and this isn't bout money, it's about a kick ass game.........GG has a right to make some cash, t2real dev people, want to make t2real that's it, give them credit royalties what ever, but the question isn't who profits, but can we make this happen, we have the talent, do we have the determination, the will, the drive

IF you want to sell it, you have to sell it through GG.

If you don't want to sell it, they can't force you if I understand correctly.

someone give them a buzz and ask.

I would be concerned if you HAD to distribute it through their website, then they could decide that it was retail box material and Sierra would take control. If you can distribute it for free any way you want, then you can keep control of it.

Sierra wouldn't sue if you called it something else, changed a lot of things, say a "ballerizer" that shoots balls instead of disks that explode. Change the terrain, sounds, models.

You people are so worried about wether or not GG would get the right to sell it, blah blah, etc. Just don't give them the option. Host the DL's on geocites/fileplanet/anywhere else, put your aliases in the credits, and when they contact you about it say "Nope, I had nothing to do with that, sorry."
Simple, effective, and completely sidesteps any clauses in the EULA that you don't want to deal with.

PessimiStick said:
You people are so worried about wether or not GG would get the right to sell it, blah blah, etc. Just don't give them the option. Host the DL's on geocites/fileplanet/anywhere else, put your aliases in the credits, and when they contact you about it say "Nope, I had nothing to do with that, sorry."
Simple, effective, and completely sidesteps any clauses in the EULA that you don't want to deal with.

It also happens to completely fuck over the people that are giving you the oppertunity (GG) to use a world-class engine for $100/developer. Thats lame.

Not like it matters, since you seem to be under-estimating the task of creating a game. Its a huge project. A MOD alone takes months of work, writing a game from scratch in your spare time would take years. Even if by some act of god Sierra sold you the T1 source (which would be very expensive) porting everything to the new engine would be a momumental task. Good idea, but its hardly realistic.

Fallen|Spock

I agree that it's a huge undertaking, and I have neither the time nor skills to participate, but refusing to sell your game doesn't fuck over anyone. It was your code and your ideas, and they couldn't sell it anyway most likely because it would be a tribes clone.

While it would take a long time, with enough help it could be expedited, it takes years for games to be complete because people must create the game engine and tools, if you read the features of the V12 engine, you will see that many of the tools have already been created, and/or included.

this isn't writing a game.

this is a TC. The engine is done.

There isn't even any single player

you are looking at 3 maybe 4 months to basic playable alpha, then the interest will rise sharply along with the number of people who are willing to help.

Actually, it could be very similar to Tribes,...read the FAQ, Sierra is a minority owner of Garage Games, and, anything deemed good enough for release would go to Sierra for distribution.

So-
1) Community makes T1.5 (or whatever you call it)

2) It is good.

3) Sierra can pick it up and release it under the Tribes name.

edit for readability.

Last edited:
(b) Licensee may not publicly distribute, release, publish and/or transmit any Games created hereunder or otherwise exploit the Software. Licensee must deliver all completed Games, ready for publication, to Licensor for exclusive release and publication through the Website, or through third party distribution channels (subject to separate agreement for payment terms). Licensee may distribute free demos of the Games through third party distribution channels. Free games may be distributed from Licensee's own web site.

seems like you can distribute free games if you want. kind of foggy though.

Of course, if someone made a game, and it resided on their hard drive, and someone else "hacked" in, stole the data, and distributed it, what could you do?

RoadKill said:
I've been thinking about a T1 upgrade for a while now, and now that this "change" is comming to sierra, now might be the time. I for one, will be contacting some people at said company soon to find out that the scoop will be on the source; but I'm guessing that it won't be let go =/

But if we can get our hands on it, open source is not really the best way to start the project, but it's certianly the way to finish it.

If anything happen with this, I'll be there emacs and all =)

vi!

Actually, I jest. I still haven't quite grasped the concept and key commands of vi, so I usually end up killing the process because I can't figure out how to quit.

BTW, I'd much rather directly modify the T1 source than futz around with V12, Crystal Space, Lithtech, or any other engine. With the dissolution of Dynamix, I don't know whether aquiring T1 source is more or less likely now. It's questionable to me whether adjusting technology or adjusting gameplay would be more difficult.

Last edited:
Back