[Baseball Sucks] Fan Dies at Rangers Game

Enlightened One

Veteran XX
Pretty brutal.

Fan dies after falling from stands at Rangers game - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—The Texas Rangers say a fan died after falling out of the stands while trying to catch a baseball tossed his way during the game.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan said after Thursday night’s game that the team was “deeply saddened” to learn that the man “has passed away as a result of this tragic accident.”

The Rangers did not identify the man; they said he fell about 20 feet.

The fan fell head-first and landed behind a 14-foot-high wall supporting a video board that shows replays and scores from other games.

The accident happened in the second inning after Oakland’s Conor Jackson(notes) hit a foul ball that ricocheted into left field. Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton(notes) retrieved the ball and tossed it into the stands.

Replays on Oakland’s television broadcast show the man reaching for the ball and apparently catching it before tumbling.

At least he made the catch?

same stadium that someone fell off of the upper deck lunging for a foul ball, last year i believe

that guy lived though

Sick thing is there's a kid with him (his?) and you can see his buddy laughing as he goes over the top.

Bet he isn't laughing now.

Pretty bad way to go out.

And yea, it's dumb to risk yourself for a ball, but it's also terrible stadium design. As a tall person I can understand how easy it is for you to flip over a railing meant for midgets with low centers of gravity.

i dont get why the commentators were laughing, it seems like they thought it was not a serious fall but just by looking at the wall you can tell that it's a really long fall, and he was falling head-first...

surviving that would have been fairly miraculous

Ugh and in front of the kid. Man that really sucks. I feel bad for the people with him (especially the kid).

:sunny:

A's reliever Brad Ziegler told reporters that he and several teammates in the bullpen, which is located near the scoreboard where the fan fell, heard the fan talking about his son as he was being carried out on the stretcher.

"It was me and (Craig) Breslow and (Joey) Devine," Zeigler said. "They had him on a stretcher and were carrying him out. He was saying, 'Please check on my son.' They had his arms splinted, and you're just assuming he's (going to be OK). He was conscious and talking, and to find out he's not is tough."

yikes

Damn, so what got him if he was relatively okay getting carried out. Brain hemorrhage or some shit?

wow the rangers broadcasters didnt even mention it...

because everyone knew he was dead after a minute..... Baseball games are fun to go to but dangerous as well. Everyone there should be with the understanding they could get a line drive to the head and get fucked up, brain damage or die. If fans try to do stuff like this they need to be careful. Now their going to get a lawsuit and get told by the league to make it more safe..

Back