live deliberately

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
I want to live deliberately. I want to read the classics and digest them. I know how the minds of their times would read books, articles, and where they discussed them and it intrigues and fascinates me.
Typically students would keep a journal and record their thoughts on any books they read. They would read these pieces multiple times, the first as a road map, and then two or three times more, scrawling notes in margins, taking away what they thought was important, and then noting in their journal why they believed it to be so.
Afterwards, they would go to their taverns or other social gathering areas in town and have discussions on these topics, books, pamphlets, articles they read. Forming their opinions in a forge of debate and shaping themselves and their identity all the while.

i re-watched dead poets society last night and it made me want to do things.

i figure it'll focus my brain when i'm bullshitting on the internet
maybe i'll say "oh right, lets learn about things instead"
we'll see.

think i need to find a group of like-wise people to really get into it

i was considering that skivvis
i dont know the answer to it though

dammit
thinking about donig a few sessions with a therapist just to get some junk out there and see where it goes

i would love to have gone to a school with that mentality. Read once, essentially for enjoyment. Read again and make some early notes. Read a third time and develop more complex ideas. Then, after you have created an opinion about the book, you discuss it with other people.

The problem is that for this to be effective for me, I would like 1-2 months per book. Also, no other homework. Too slow of a pace for todays schools.

literature > sports

sports is the opiate of the masses and should be replaced by its rightful owner, gladiator games. sports in america is an usurper.
needing to enroll in some acting classes too

essentially i need to let go of some things holding me back on speeches and other things, delivery of whatever.
great ideas in the head, then i get nervous or whatever. Like a less extreme version of ethan hawke's character (where he describes "the madman")

i would love to have gone to a school with that mentality. Read once, essentially for enjoyment. Read again and make some early notes. Read a third time and develop more complex ideas. Then, after you have created an opinion about the book, you discuss it with other people.

The problem is that for this to be effective for me, I would like 1-2 months per book. Also, no other homework. Too slow of a pace for todays schools.

this was the upper crust learning of the day back in the 18th century and prior. there was no 'homework'. You read academic books, other things at home or in class. You discussed in class and shared your thoughts. You then would iron this out even more, and once you were out of school age, continue the debates in other social settings.
constant learning and debate with each new year with new pamphlets, books, articles, journals.

there was no teevee.

Anyway it was abandoned in favor of teaching people specific things (so they could get the basics and make it in new society). So instead of learning to love to learn, people are now learning to get a job. life long learning is really the point to education. The thrill and enjoyment of knowledge. If you have that, you can do anything, because you will be undaunted in life if you need on the job training or whatever. Rather many people are afraid of things they don't understand, and do not take steps to figuring out said things.
i dunno, it's hard to express, and i'm delirious with lack of food and sleep.

what we have right now in most areas of the country is shameful

Last edited:
Back